SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
We really are in Silly Season.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Multi-year deal for Albon with Williams

Question on Piastri, does he replace DR at McLaren, or does he replace Latifi at Williams?
If he repalces DR, I think the only potential seats for DR to jump to would be KMag or Latifi.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
One thing I would like to go back and understand. Is the years that Schumacher raced for Ferrari and they did not win (the championship). Then suddenly it all clicked and they won and kept winning.

Was it as Binotto says and they just kept building and building until they got it right? Or was it a chess game and they kept adding and subtracting players on the board until they had the right combination.
I watched back then but I did not get into the team dynamics as much (college and grad school and all).

Many think that dumping Binotto is the way to go, he says it is a building process that is nearly complete. He does have a point, schmaybe Smile

I guess my question is why did Ferrari become such a powerhouse in 2000 after having Schumacher from 96-99? What did they finally get right?

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Regulation changes could play into that, similar to what we're seeing right now with Mercedes. 7 years of dominance, and top of the midfield right now.

I wasn't watching in the late 90s-early 00s so can't say much to it ot her than speculation.
IIRC, they were still V12 in the early-mid 90s & went to the V10s later?

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:

I guess my question is why did Ferrari become such a powerhouse in 2000 after having Schumacher from 96-99? What did they finally get right?

Ross Brawn, Rory Byrne and Jean Todt all working to give Schumi the car he wanted. That and a full commitment from Ferrari which didn't feel compelled to fill the top with Italians.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
^^^ beat me to it.

BTW… Mattia Binotto was at f1 Ferrari with Michael Schumacher staring at a green screen as a young man analyzing engine data.

Bernie summarizes it simply by saying Mattia is a Engine man, not a race director.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:

Ross Brawn, Rory Byrne and Jean Todt all working to give Schumi the car he wanted. That and a full commitment from Ferrari which didn't feel compelled to fill the top with Italians.

BINGO......all the right players together with only one goal.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
From the F1 thread on another forum:
Big Grin

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
BINGO......all the right players together with only one goal.

And more importantly: No infighting. One of the shocking things I learned about that time period is that John Barnard was designing Ferrari chassis in the UK while the rest of the team was building in Italy. It’s no wonder Alain Prost was fired for telling Enzo his car was shit.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Also some extra insight to Alpine schmozzle:

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Read an article earlier today that Szafnauer has said they'd still be open to Ricciardo coming to Alpine, if Piastri gets his MCL seat.

Would be a shame to lose smiley from the grid.
He just hasn't had the confidence in the Renault/MCL like he did at Red Bull.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I’d like to know what the contract that Red Bull offered Riccardo before he went to Renault, but if they were remotely close, Danny Ric might have a WDC right now instead of stumbling around like Fernando Alonso.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
I’d like to know what the contract that Red Bull offered Riccardo before he went to Renault, but if they were remotely close, Danny Ric might have a WDC right now instead of stumbling around like Fernando Alonso.

He was also moving to 2nd fiddle to Max, and I'm sure the team environment was shifting to the other side of the garage. Who knows how long they'd have made it as teammates, clashing for the title.
Might have been some fireworks, ala, Hamilton/Rosberg

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:

My memory says he was offered $8 million and #2 to stay at Red Bull.
Renault paid $20 million per for 2 years.
Strictly from a business sense, he made the right move.
No idea what his McLaren contract paid or will pay if he gets the boot.
If things were to work out and he ended back at Renault/Alpine, he hasn't taken a big step backwards based on competitiveness of the car. Both seem to have up and down weekends, depending on the track but generally going up from earlier years.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/...astri-2023/10349014/

quote:

The McLaren Formula 1 team has officially told Daniel Ricciardo that it intends to replace him with Oscar Piastri next year, Motorsport.com understands.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Looks like Riccardo is getting paid and Chip Ganassi Racing has refiled their lawsuit against Alex Palou in Federal Court after a request from Palou’s lawyers. At this rate, McLaren will have the entire lineup of F1 and IndyCar signed to race for them.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Ricciardo Leaving McLaren at end of 22 Season

quote:
​​​​​​​
McLaren and Daniel Ricciardo have “mutually agreed” to terminate his contract one year early, meaning the eight-time race winner will depart at the end of the 2022 campaign.

The Australian joined McLaren for 2021 on a three-year deal, racing alongside Lando Norris, and while he secured the team’s first win since 2012 at Monza last year – with Norris second – he has struggled to match his team mate’s very impressive pace.

On the eve of the Belgian Grand Prix, as Formula 1 returns from its summer break, Ricciardo and McLaren announced they would complete the final nine races of the year together before going their separate ways.

McLaren say they will announce who will partner Norris in 2023 “in due course”. Ricciardo will do the same regarding his own future plans, but suggested he’s keen to stay in F1.

“It’s been a privilege to be a part of the McLaren Racing family for the last two seasons but following several months of discussions with Zak [Brown, McLaren CEO] & Andreas [Seidl, Team Principal] we have decided to terminate my contract with the team early and agree to mutually part ways at the end of this season,” the Australian said.

“I’ll be announcing my own future plans in due course but regardless of what this next chapter brings, I have no regrets and am proud of the effort and work I gave McLaren, especially the win in Monza, last season.

“I’ve enjoyed working with everyone at McLaren both trackside and back in Woking and will be giving my all on and off track as we enjoy the remainder of the season together. I’ve never been more motivated to compete and be a part of a sport that I love so much and look forward to what comes next.”

Seidl said: “I would like to thank Daniel for his dedication and contribution over the last two seasons so far. Despite the shared challenges, he has always turned up with a fighting spirit and positivity and helped the entire team to always keep pushing forward.

“We will never forget that memorable race win in Monza which was a great boost for the whole team. We still have an important battle in the constructors’ championship ahead of us for the remainder of the season and we look forward to battle this out with Daniel and Lando.”

Brown added: “Daniel has been a great addition to McLaren, and it’s been a pleasure working with him. I’d like to thank him for all of his efforts over the last two seasons both trackside and back at base.

“It’s no secret that we hoped we could achieve more together but seeing him stand on the top step of the podium as a McLaren driver was a highlight. We wish him well for the future and let’s go enjoy the rest of the season together.”

Ricciardo is currently 12th in the drivers' standings on 19 points, 57 adrift of Norris after 13 Grands Prix. His best finish of the year was sixth in Australia, while Norris has four top-six finishes including a podium at Imola.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Podium with Renault
Win with McLaren
He's still got it, just not 'clicking' with the machinery since leaving RBR

Guessing Piastri in the MCL next year
Daniel to Alpine?

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

The McLaren doesn't have the front grip that suits his style of driving...that he needs to rotate the car in the slower turns

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

The McLaren doesn't have the front grip that suits his style of driving...that he needs to rotate the car in the slower turns

He also hasn't had that late braking confidence he had in the RBR cars. He's gotten more confident in it with the MCL than he was in the Renault.

But, the car seems to suit Lando a lot more & the results show it. The car is capable of front mid-pack/best of the rest running.