SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 ... 243
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Yes, Mclaren is really coming on strong. It is a lot of fun to watch.

Tomorrows race looks fun, four different teams on the first two rows. This should be fun.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3656 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I like the new gravel areas that reduce all those track limits issues, or most of them anyway.

Max sure turned up the wick in qualifying and Perez must be happy that he already signed that new contract extension. More than anyone else, he got spanked, being in the same car.

Let's just hope that in race conditions, the gap closes up again. He is about out of his powertrain components and will have to start taking penalties in future races. Maybe that will force them to turn down the power a bit.

Really beautiful place for a race. Tracks like that and Spa sure make those artificial street circuits look bad.

Posts: 9792 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
By George, that was interesting.

Posts: 9402 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
By George, that was interesting.

Yup, and Max isn't accepting responsibility for running Lando off the track...twice

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14247 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The only thing missing from going "Full Schumacher" was Verstappen driving Lando into a wall.

Posts: 4423 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Haas in the top ten.

That was a lot of fun.

Why is it Sainz doesn't have a ride yet?

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3656 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The assumption since 2022 was that Max was maturing and had raised his game so much that he was beyond some of his earlier issues.
The truth appears to be that he has had enough of an advantage he didn't feel any real threat before today.
He was somewhat more reflective in the post race interview and said he didn't want to comment without seeing the videos and letting things cool down a bit.
Lets see what he says tomorrow.
In any case, that sure was an exciting event, especially the last part. Lots of good racing throughout the field.
There was no mention if he and Lando would be sharing the plane ride home.

Posts: 9792 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:

No good reason, but he should be at Red Bull instead of the pay driver Sergio Perez.

Posts: 4423 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Sainz hasn’t signed with anyone yet because he’s holding out for the best option.
He’s not in a situation like some others that are just trying to stay on the grid anywhere they can.

Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:

When his two top choices weren't really welcoming...interestingly both related to Max...he was then left to base his choice on potential and when that potential might mature.

He is 30, and might not want to
1. wait for the power of Audi to bring the car up to speed
2. go back to Apine
3. work with Haas and their reliance on Ferrari PU

Williams seem the obvious choice...if he believes what James is saying about the improvement coming on line

Posts: 14247 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
The assumption since 2022 was that Max was maturing and had raised his game so much that he was beyond some of his earlier issues.
The truth appears to be that he has had enough of an advantage he didn't feel any real threat before today.

Lando mention a couple of times that Max was back to his double moves under braking and that he wasn't being penalized for it...Stroll does the same thing all the time

Steve Matchette mentioned that the Red Bull rear end was sliding as Lando was catching Max

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
It's not absolutely clear who's to blame, calling it a racing incident is not egregious. Past inconsistency in rulings clouds the issue. I'd be happiest if race results don't come down to rulings and racing is encouraged. Lando and Max looked destined to come together today and it was great fun watching them get to that point.

George Russell is justifiably pleased but he can be only so proud. Still, a win is a win and results like today are not that uncommon.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8538 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eh...it was Max's fault.

It's hard to justify that 'broad shoulders' drift to the left especially when he's aware that Norris is going to be right there on the attack. After all that's what the mirrors are for and Verstappen is simply too good and too experienced to have lost track of a guy doing the attacking. He knew by then that he had an inferior set of tires to Lando's and he was doing what he could to try to keep Norris behind him.

In the end with all of that wide open space on the tarmac to his right, it's pretty obvious to any observer reviewing the footage that Max's drift to the left was a bit too inexplicable to justify. That move didn't work like Max hoped it would (cause his good buddy Lando to defer and back off as he has in past races), and yet by the wave of the checkered flag it actually DID work in a very real sense, at least as far as the driver's championship goes.

Max may not have won the race but since he knocked Lando out while he himself still scored points by finishing 5th, he widened his lead over 2nd place Norris. May not be the result he truly wanted after leading most of the race, but the end game still turned out to be a positive for him and RB. However the other fallout of this incident is that Norris might be rethinking his level of friendship with his chief rival going forward.

The rest of the season could be quite interesting...

-MG

Posts: 2204 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Hopefully they're sharing a plan ride later....
That was spicy!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12665 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
it was a ho-hum race until the end and then it was no longer a photocopy of other races

Congrats to George on the win

Posts: 53776 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been announced that Oliver Bearman will drive for Haas in 2025 and beyond. He signed a multi-year contract with Haas, which I'm going to guess will have an out clause so whenever Hamilton finally calls it (or Ferrari calls it for him), Bearman will be able to join the primary team. Congrats to both Bearman AND Haas for this union.

-MG

Posts: 2204 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
It would be a shame to have LewLew join the Ferrari team.

Posts: 53776 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Idunno.

Seems Hamilton would be a better fit for Haas and put Bearman in the Ferrari?

How many times did they have to call Russel to the pits during his first race in a Benz? He still finished in the points.

Posts: 9402 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Lando Norris shot his race prospects dead in pit lane. That's all it took to drop him to 3rd.

Fill your hands
you son of a bitch
posted Hide Post
Maclaren had a Ferrari kind of day, talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. The two quickest cars finish 3rd and forth and they can only blames themselves.

Posts: 468 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post