SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Aston Martin, where champions go to die.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:

Context:

Vettel to Retire at end of 2022 Season

Alonso signs multi-year deal with Aston for 2023

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I suspect Alonso has been at Alpine long enough to realize that his hope of a potential race winner hasn't materialized and is beyond his window.
I haven't been all that impressed with Stroll Sr.'s race team managing/owner skills so far but there may be some good things happening behind the scenes that we don't get to see.
Either way, he's only got a year, maybe two before age catches up even with someone like him. He may have signed for a large contract, likely his last regardless of where he drives, and doing a hail Mary on the car performance. If things don't work out then he can bail out into an earlier retirement.
Vettel was clearly past the stage where he had much motivation and still could spank Lance if he just showed up to be racy that day. I wonder how a motivated Alonzo will work with him and dad.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:

I wonder which car they are going to copy next?

There must be a back story to Alonzo leaving Alpine while the manufacturer seems to be on the rise.

The only thing that even comes to mind is that Aston Martin will have a lot larger allowance of wind tunnel time for development of their 2023 car

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The backstory is that Alpine had 3 drivers for 2 cars. Oscar Piastri is the future while Alonso gives them a damn good present that has them in 4th. They might be challenging Ferrari now if they didn't have reliability issues at the beginning of the year.

The big difference between Vettel and Alonso is that Alonso is still a racer while Vettel wants to be a social justice coward and tell others how to live their lives in places he'll never live. Alonso can also sell more Aston Martins than a washed up Vettel and Aston's facilities will be further along their upgrades.

If Alonso wants to end his career like Kimi Raikkonen by just racing, I'm cool with it. I'm take that over a social justice twat crying about the state of the world while doing more to harm the environment then any of us ever will.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DanH,

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
^^^ amen

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
According to Toto post-race, Ferrari only had softs and hards left, they'd misfigured the previous day. Too much race left for CL to go with softs last stop, they were already screwed. Don't know if that's the case but nothing else explains going with the hards at the end.

I think this is right, but it still means they miscalculated. I'd like to be a Ferrari fan, but they make it hard.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I hope that Mattia Bin Otto is gone at the end of this season

he has been nothing but a huge setback for Ferrari this season

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
1) I really doubt given the conditions that LeClerc couldn't have made the rest of the race on softs considering the cool temperature and and the fact they were lasting about as long as the mediums.

Speaking of how big of a joke Ferrari is:

https://racer.com/2022/08/01/b...-for-leclerc-result/

quote:
Binotto Blames Car, Not Strategy, for Leclerc Result

Chris Medland August 1, 2022 12:21 PM ET

Ferrari’s strategy was not the reason Charles Leclerc was unable to win the Hungarian Grand Prix, according to team principal Mattia Binotto.

Leclerc started third and had overtaken George Russell to lead by the halfway stage, using medium tires for each of the first two stints. The expected strategy was for Leclerc to run long enough to fit the soft tires for the end of the race – as teammate Carlos Sainz did – but Ferrari responded to a pit stop from Max Verstappen and opted for hard tires, leaving Leclerc struggling on the unfancied compound and dropping to six after an extra stop while Verstappen won.

“Before we start with why we used the hard tire, I think it is important to say that we believe that the car was not working as expected and we didn’t have the speed we were hoping to, looking back on Friday,” Binotto said. “So (the race) was certainly different conditions and they got cooler, but overall the speed was not great enough and whatever tires we were using, I don’t think we were as good as we were looking for.

“Certainly it was the same with the hard, so when we fitted the hard our simulation was that it would be a difficult couple of laps of warm-up, they would have been slower than the mediums for 10 or 11 laps but then they would have come back by the end of the stint – and it was a 30-lap stint.

“So we fitted the hard tires at the time because it was a 30-lap stint and we were trying to protect position to Max and it would have been too long certainly on the soft. Our choice and our analysis was, yes, it would be difficult at the start of the stint but it would come back by the end.

“Overall, the tires didn’t work. I know they were not working well on other cars, but the analysis we made was based on the data we had and the main reason is not to look into the strategy, but why the car was not as good as we were hoping.

“It was the first time this year that the car was not as competitive as we are normally looking for, and it was the case as well with Carlos because he was on exactly the same strategy as Lewis (Hamilton) and started ahead but finished behind, and Lewis went on to finish second. So the car was not performing well. And when the car is not performing, it doesn’t make the tires work as they should, and certainly not the hard tires.”

Sainz finished fourth and was coming under pressure from Sergio Perez in the closing stages, but Binotto is unsure why Ferrari went from the quickest team on Friday and pre-race favorites to third-quickest overall.

“I do not have an explanation,” he said. “It’s something where we will try to look at all the data before we go to the summer break for holidays. Certainly there was something that was not working properly, because again, if I look at the balance of the first 12 races of the season, it is the first time we are not competitive and not fighting for the win. On Friday the car was looking good, so there is certainly something that is related to the tires that is not clear to us right now.”

2) I don't think firing Binotto is warranted, but definitely a demotion. For the most part, the technical side of Ferrari is doing fine, but getting everyone's ducks in a row and be a solid cohesive team is something Binotto is not qualified to do.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I wonder how a motivated Alonzo will work with him and dad...

As I understand, Vettel was brought in as much to mentor the boy racer as much as to perform himself. I think that, in fact, Lance did up his game. I suspect Alonso will be expected to do much the same. The Strolls seem to believe Lance can be a factor.

Vettel needs to know racing is his thing. He should replace Binotto as team principal. Not so far fetched IMO. Seb has the smarts and the understanding of what a race winning team needs. That and there really are no viable alternatives to Binotto. Ferrari needs to think outside the designer box.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I wonder how a motivated Alonzo will work with him and dad...

As I understand, Vettel was brought in as much to mentor the boy racer as much as to perform himself. I think that, in fact, Lance did up his game. I suspect Alonso will be expected to do much the same. The Strolls seem to believe Lance can be a factor.

Vettel needs to know racing is his thing. He should replace Binotto as team principal. Not so far fetched IMO. Seb has the smarts and the understanding of what a race winning team needs. That and there really are no viable alternatives to Binotto. Ferrari needs to think outside the designer box.

Didn’t Lance have Juan Pablo Montoya in the garage helping him specifically?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
“Didn’t Lance have Juan Pablo Montoya in the garage helping him specifically?”

JPM also knows where the big checks are written.
The pitch starts out with “I think your son really has talent, he just needs"…………
If the checks keep on coming, he keeps it up.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
According to Toto post-race, Ferrari only had softs and hards left, they'd misfigured the previous day. Too much race left for CL to go with softs last stop, they were already screwed. Don't know if that's the case but nothing else explains going with the hards at the end.

Even if true, so what? They used two sets of mediums during the race, so what good would another set of mediums have done them? For a two stop race, the third set was always going to have to be either soft or hard because they have to use two compounds in a dry race.

Leclerc seemed to be doing fine on his second set of mediums. He could have stayed out and then switched to softs for the last stunt.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:

When has Vettel shown that kind of leadership skills? Even more than Sir Lewie, you know where Vettel was going to finish depending on how good his car was. I also don't think he left Ferrari with much good will when LeClerc (much like Riccardo) curb stomped Vettel in his first season while Seb tried everything up to wrecking LeClerc to remain as Ferrari's #1 Driver.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:

Didn’t Lance have Juan Pablo Montoya in the garage helping him specifically?

That's right, I remember reading that. I'd also heard the Stroll's were tapping Seb's experience to help Lance. The whole Stroll involvement in F1 seems to be built around making Lance a player. It looks like they think Alonso is another step in that direction.

As for Seb running Ferrari, he was as involved with crew and the technical aspects of his cars as any driver and was respected for that. He also challenged the pit box many times as to strategy, not hard to believe with the team's history of bad choices.

Seb was never a great racer. He was very fast and a great front runner but yeah, he wasn't the whole package. He's denying his whole history of commitment to racing with his woke crap, he'd forget all that if he could make his mark with Ferrari his racing didn't produce.

Yeah, Ferrari probably burned that bridge but they don't have a more capable replacement for the hapless Binotto waiting in the wings. I think Seb could shock the world given the chance.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
But if he couldn't manage all of his SJW stuff AND drive a racecar, how is he going to do that AND run a $1bn operation?

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
DanH, all I'm saying is ex-drivers have a lot of success running teams. Vettel has shown an aptitude for the technical, an ability to work with his team and has unfinished business at Ferrari. I shudder to think how he could beclown himself chasing woke dreams. Of course, the bottom line remains Ferrari will not make SV team principle so this is just a diversion heading into the Summer break.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
If you keep all the SJ stuff out of it, I'd prefer Seb as a guest commentator to Nico.
Never could get behind Rosberg & just don't care for his commentary. Prefer Palmer's analysis to Nico.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The Oscar Piastri story looks like it's quickly becoming a soap opera.
Alpine announced he's driving for them next year, Oscar now says, not so fast.
Seems he may have a deal with McLaren.
Sounds a lot like the drama going on now in Indycar over Alex Pelou. Somehow McLaren are involved in both.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Danny Ric back to Renault/Alpine, or he's out the door, if that's the case.