SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 ... 229
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
A little late to the party, after Silverstone a couple weeks back --

For instance, after Silverstone, Hamilton marvelled at the way he was able to scrap with Charles Leclerc at Copse corner and not crash in the way he did with Verstappen a year earlier.

“He is a very sensible driver,” Hamilton said of Leclerc. “Clearly a lot different to what I experienced last year.”

Verstappen hit back: “I think Charles gave him less space than me last year, so that says it all,” Verstappen replied.

“But I think it’s pretty good that at the age of 37 you can still learn to take an apex. It’s good for young drivers to know as well that you can still learn at 37,” he quipped.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15322 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
I'm don't know where you heard about it or what sources you've checked, but I've read it on the Twitter feed of three separate teams (other than Merc) about how such behavior shouldn't be acceptable in F1

I read more details about the incident from Will Buxton, who has always proven creditable

I should have checked Will Buxton, he does seem to always be a straight shooter.
I did read three different news report that just listed Hamilton complaining that mean things were said to him by the fans when he crashed and then he tweeted about racism et al. None of them reported on a female who had been assaulted.

And WTH is with all the flares and smoke grenades? Is that a track tradition, F1 tradition? I remember the horns at soccer games was the rage for awhile.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
And WTH is with all the flares and smoke grenades? Is that a track tradition, F1 tradition? I remember the horns at soccer games was the rage for awhile.

The orange smoke is from the Dutch fans of Verstappen. They use orange as a sign of dutch pride...originating from the founder of the Netherlands William of Orange (a former principality in France)

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I find myself torn on the new rules about spending and budgets. On one hand I like that it can help the other teams, and on the other its rough watching Sainz start from the back again.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Smile

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
I find myself torn on the new rules about spending and budgets. On one hand I like that it can help the other teams, and on the other its rough watching Sainz start from the back again.

Sainz starting from the back would have happened under the previous rules too.
Ferrari seem to finally have the speed and good tire wear but still lack a number of critical skills to be solid championship contenders. Both the drivers and operations sides need some work. Both are making too many mistakes.
Max is getting close to having a lead that requires 3 Leclerc wins with Max not finishing to be back in the game.
If Ferrari & Leclerc were to run the table from here on but Max finishes P2 or 3 then it still wouldn't be enough.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Team: “Pit now, pit now … box box …”

Driver passing for 3rd: “Not now!”

Lulz

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post

Ferrari strategists...

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Team: “Pit now, pit now … box box …”

Driver passing for 3rd: “Not now!”

Lulz

Yeah, that was interesting timing to broadcast that one.

Overall, not a bad race, for what I was expecting to be a snoozer.

Posts: 15322 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The sooner we're done with Paul Ricard, the better. If there has to be a French Grand Prix and it can't be the full LeMans circuit, then either build a new track or just stay at Magny Cours.

Posts: 4167 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
The poor decision making by the Ferrari team leadership is just abysmal

Yeah, 10 laps from the end, in 3rd going for second so let’s do a pit stop and clinch 9th

Who is actually paying this guy because it’s clear that his decisions hurt Ferrari in just about every case

What a moron.

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The only justification I can imagine for the Sainz pit, would be impending tire failure, resulting in no-points/DNF.

Calling him in, mid-fight with Perez, more questionable.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
The only justification I can imagine for the Sainz pit, would be impending tire failure, resulting in no-points/DNF.

Calling him in, mid-fight with Perez, more questionable.

While I can't completely blame the team for the timing of Sainz first stop, that was on Leclerc, the rest was just terrible execution.
Sainz had to run long on the hard tires to make his strategy work but he probably could have gone much longer before going onto the medium's. Running the mediums to the end at that point was always unlikely. On the stop, they had some problem on the RF and it took several seconds too long- then they released him into an arriving Williams car. They were lucky to not have a crash and to miss the McLaren tires/pit equipment in front of him.
Staying out, he would have been close to the front at that point and probably been as fast or faster than the others that had to make their tires last to the end.
Had they done that, they always had a chance of another caution, and there was a virtual safety car later that would have been a cheap stop and no 5 second penalty. He would have a much shorter run on those softer tires and had a better chance of gaining ground to the end.
Easily a second place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQPaACBaFbY

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Anyone else besides Ripley following IndyCar? Apparently, Zak Brown and McLaren Racing are making waves as far as driver signings using F1 testing as an incentive. One driver involved is the 2021 IndyCar Champion Alex Palou.

Palou races for Chip Ganassi Racing on a rookie contract that has nothing built into it to force Ganassi to pay him more for outperforming his contact. Palou is pretty pissed and Zak Brown offered him a ride at Arrow McLaren SP (their IndyCar team) with a promise of F1 testing dates and more money.

The kicker about Alex Palou is by winning the IndyCar Championship, he is eligible for an F1 Superlicense immediately. If Palou was under contract and McLaren got pissed off enough at Daniel Riccardo and fire him, Palou could be in the car the next day. As a result in mid July, Ganassi put out a press release saying they've activated their extension on Palou's contract with a quote from Palou about how happy he is that was quickly denied by Palou that he ever said such a thing and McLaren puts out a press release saying he's joining the McLaren family.

Now, the lawyers are involved:

https://www.motorsport.com/ind...pion-palou/10344211/

quote:
Ganassi Files Civil Action Lawsuit Against its Champion Palou
Chip Ganassi Racing is suing its 2021 NTT IndyCar Series champion Alex Palou, who has signed a deal to join McLaren Racing for 2023.

By:
David Malsher-Lopez
Jul 27, 2022, 9:18 AM

In a statement from the legendary team, for whom Palou scored a 14th IndyCar drivers’ title last year, Ganassi stated: “Alex Palou is under contract with Chip Ganassi Racing through the end of the 2023 season. He is a valued member of our team, and we will continue to support him in chasing wins, podiums, and INDYCAR championships.

“As the result of a competing racing team improperly attempting to contract with him notwithstanding the clear terms of our contract, we are proceeding to legal process pursuant to the contract.

“Any and all inquiries on the matter will be handled by our legal counsel.”

The summons, filed by Marion County Court, is directed to Alex Palou Montalbo and ALPA Racing USA, LLC, and must be responded to with 20 days after receiving the summons on July 26.

In addition, in a separate court document, “plaintiff Chip Ganassi Racing, LLC, by counsel, respectfully requests a prompt hearing on its Motion for Preliminary Injunction. Plaintiff estimates two hours would be sufficient for the hearing, and requests that it be set before the end of August.”

Among the evidential exhibits in the public domain are the tweets sent out by Palou, by McLaren Racing and the press release from McLaren, all on July 12.

That day Chip Ganassi Racing put out a release stating that it had taken up its option on Palou’s services for 2023, the driver having signed a two-year-plus-one-year-option contract toward the end of his rookie season with Dale Coyne Racing.

The statement contained a quote from team owner Chip Ganassi, stating: “Alex’s track record speaks for itself. He’s a proven champion and one of the most formidable drivers in the world. We are very excited to continue working together.”

However, it also contained a quote supposedly from Palou.

“It’s a great feeling knowing I’ll be back with Chip Ganassi Racing next season. The team welcomed me with open arms from Day 1, and I’m excited to continue working with Chip, [CGR managing director] Mike Hull, the folks on the #10 NTT DATA Honda and everyone within the organization. The goals remain the same and we will continue to work relentlessly towards achieving them.”

Later that day, Palou hit Twitter, stating: “I have recently learned from the media that this afternoon, without my approval, Chip Ganassi Racing issued a press release announcing that I would be driving with CGR in 2023. Even more surprising was that CGR’s release included a “quote” which did not come from me.

“I did not approve that press release, and I did not author or approve that quote. As I have recently informed CGR, for personal reasons, I do not intend to continue with the team after 2022.

“This evening’s unfortunate events aside, I have great respect for the CGR team, and look forward to finishing this season strongly together.”

Within minutes, further fuel was added to the flames when McLaren tweeted: “¡Hola Alex! McLaren Racing welcomes ‪#INDYCAR champion ‪@AlexPalou to its driver roster from 2023, as the team continues to build talent across all of its racing series. Our full driver line-up across all racing series will be confirmed in due course.”

The Arrow McLaren SP twitter account quoted that tweet, adding “Welcome to the McLaren Racing family, Alex Palou.”

A McLaren Racing press release stated: "Alongside his racing duties next year, Palou will also test with the McLaren F1 Team as part of its 2021 MCL35M F1 car testing program with fellow drivers Pato O’Ward and Colton Herta."

Palou said: “I’m extremely excited to join the driver roster for such an iconic team as McLaren. I’m excited to be able to show what I can do behind the wheel of a Formula 1 car and looking at what doors that may open.

"I want to thank everyone at Chip Ganassi Racing for everything they have done for me.”

Zak Brown, McLaren CEO commented: “We have always said that we want the best talent at McLaren, and it’s exciting to be able to include Alex on that list. I’m also looking forward to seeing him get behind the wheel of a Formula 1 car as part of our Testing of Previous Cars (TPC) program alongside Pato O’Ward and Colton Herta as we continue to build our driver talent.

"Alex is an incredibly talented driver who has won in every series he has raced in, and I’m happy to welcome him to the McLaren family.”

Palou currently lies sixth in the championship, just 44 points behind championship-leading teammate Marcus Ericsson with five rounds to go and over 250 points still available.

Arrow McLaren SP, which is expanding to three cars in 2023, currently has incumbent Pato O’Ward and Alexander Rossi under contract for next year. Felix Rosenqvist is being retained by McLaren Racing, but he has told Motorsport.com he is “in limbo” regarding in which series he’ll race.

McLaren CEO Brown told Motorsport.com that the marque will not be commenting on the lawsuit, while Palou himself has not yet responded on the matter.

Posts: 4167 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Anyone else besides Ripley following IndyCar?

Now, the lawyers are involved...

The Palau saga is truly a mess, throwing Ricciardo into the pot makes it more so. I try to
keep up following other boards but it's all in the air.

I haven't brought up IndyCar this year, not enough interest here and other stuff going on personally.
As always, it's a great series, the points leader has been changing by the race. F1 itself has been
more competitive this year so it's been easier than usual to put IndyCar on the second shelf. But yeah,
watch more IndyCar, it is good. Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
F1
MotoGP
-
-
IndyCar

Just not enough time in the day for it all.
I've caught bits of a few Indy races, but only the road courses have any interest to me.

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
If Palou was under contract and McLaren got pissed off enough at Daniel Riccardo and fire him

I think Danny Ric would be very comfortable stepping into an Indy Car and racing in The States...he's said he felt very "at home" in Texas during the Austin F1 race

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
F1
MotoGP
-
-
IndyCar

Just not enough time in the day for it all.
I've caught bits of a few Indy races, but only the road courses have any interest to me.

You don't need a Netflix series to make IndyCar exciting. Hell, the doubleheader at Iowa was more exciting than the F1 race, even with it being an oval and most of the races are on free NBC. This weekend is the doubleheader with NASCAR using the Indy Grand Prix track.

quote:
I think Danny Ric would be very comfortable stepping into an Indy Car and racing in The States...he's said he felt very "at home" in Texas during the Austin F1 race.

Danny Ric has said he refuses to go to IndyCar and would try the WEC first. I think he's another foreigner that's scared of ovals in anything other than an armored tank. He'll either need to be fired or given a Mafia style "offer he can't refuse" to not be in a McLaren next year.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I caught part of the Long Beach race earlier this season, fun watch. Just not invested in Indy like I've gotten with F1 & GP.