SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 ... 228
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Though I suspect the driver's view isn't quite as rough as the camera suggests.

I don't know. Ferrari is one of those teams that fast AND porpoising a lot.

True, but I think the helmet cam makes it seem rougher than what the human eye (driver) is seeing.
More true than the mounted cameras, but rougher than what you'd actually be seeing, as I'm sure head & helmet movement exacerbates it a bit.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15261 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I am trying to decide if it is worth signing up for F1TV. You can pick which driver and watch their car and helmet cams (if they have them) and even listen to the radio and race sounds rather than the announcers. I am thinking about it but $90 . . . whew.

But yeah, Sainz helmet cam makes me understand what some drivers meant by "The corner started getting there real fast, I knew it was time to quit"

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've debated it too.
I'm pretty happy with the Sky coverage, Croft et al seem to do a good job, via YouTubeTV, but have read tha ESPN may take it in house (next year?) if the coverage sucks, I will pony up for F1TV.

Really wish they had a native Samsung TV app.
Haven't looked into the interface, but would be cool to be able to have the Sky feed with PiP of a driver or 2 onboard.

Posts: 15261 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
quote:
Though I suspect the driver's view isn't quite as rough as the camera suggests.

I don't know. Ferrari is one of those teams that fast AND porpoising a lot.

True, but I think the helmet cam makes it seem rougher than what the human eye (driver) is seeing.
More true than the mounted cameras, but rougher than what you'd actually be seeing, as I'm sure head & helmet movement exacerbates it a bit.

When it happens to us, our brain smooths out the bouncy video that is coming from your eye. On camera, the bouncy is more visible.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ That's what I was getting at, but not putting well into words.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I’ve strongly considered SkySports app/f1.

Iirc, F1 is WBuxton and JPalmer, while sky is the broadcast team I like. Ymmv

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize that. I'd only read that F1TV uses the Sky feed, I'd assumed commentary too.

women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
I signed up for F1TV at the start of the season. WBuxton and JPalmer were the main commentators for the first few races, but WBuxton has been replaced. I can't recall the replacement's name, but he's descent. Also, you can select the World Feed, which I assume gives you the Sky announcer team.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I think after qualifying today that it's official: The Dutch are the Rednecks of Europe. At least real rednecks wait until everyone's finished before throwing shit on the track.

Posts: 4154 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Ha! I came here to post that today's antics have convinced me that the Dutch are the rednecks of Europe.

women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Fun race. Seems like the DC and CC are all but wrapped up. It's a race for second place in both now. Glad to see the Euro Trash Orangenecks held back with the smoke bombs until the race concluded.

Oh yea, Dame Lewis is pouty tonight

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
This was the rare week that F1 was more exciting than IndyCar. I'm liking the banked turns at Zanvoort because it looks like no one still knows what line you need to take around them.

I was also worried that Lewis was becoming more mature last week that I might start liking him. Thankfully, he threw his entire team under the bus and ran over then multiple times.

Sadly, it doesn't look like Lando Norris is able to keep up with Alpine by himself.

Posts: 4154 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
How many ways can Ferrari screw one of their drivers?
Sainz turn this week.
Mercedes’ changed 8 tires in half the time it took Ferrari to change 3.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Ferrari had the Three Stooges as part of their pit crew. Too bad they needed a fourth.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Really good race. Track doesn't give any chance to rest. All of the finishers stopped at least 3 times, unless the SC triggered a false stop on the counter, and that was on the hardest tires of the range.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Fun and chaotic. Team Sir Lew's twitter decries on-line treatment of Red Bull strategist Hannah Schmitz, seen smiling when Yuki Tsunoda crapped out on track. Somehow she had a hand in that. Roll Eyes

https://twitter.com/Team_LH/st.../1566539689238175744

Notice how race starts have been pretty much clean all year until Merc and SLH got back near the front? Sainz coulda been launched by Lew but Carlos had plenty left on his table.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
Ferrari had the Three Stooges as part of their pit crew. Too bad they needed a fourth.

It wouldn't be a normal race if Ferrari didn't screw the pooch at least once. Good Lord. Eek

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the race, and like that track. Just when I thought I had everything figured out, something happened and everything changed. One did not get up and leave before that race was completely over.

Lew-Lew really doesn't like sucking hind tit, and his Merc "partner" doesn't really care!!

Poor old Sainz......what can you say?? He is a talented driver..... if he could just get a bit of help from the team.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Monza baby!

RBR ftw … Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I am glad they are getting the attacks on Hannah at RBR under control. What a mess.

I don't remember, did Bottas race Hamilton as hard when he was with Merc? I think it is interesting that Russell seems to be willing to pass and make pit calls for fresh tires. He just seems more aggressive. But it may just be my impression of him. Hamilton was definitely in a tough spot and I do not think the 'plan' was to pit either of them, but Russell made the call and they pitted him. LH did not make the call and stayed out.

but honestly, I do not think the MERC could have caught Verstappen once they were behind. It was classic late race caution pit strategy, the guy in front almost always gets screwed Wink

And Ferrari, . . . I got nothing

Man that was a fun race.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post