SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Female basketball player breaks the law in Russia, but have no fear- Sheila Jackson Lee is DEMANDING her release
Page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 36
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Female basketball player breaks the law in Russia, but have no fear- Sheila Jackson Lee is DEMANDING her release Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Thought Uncle Joe, Shelia or Rodman was going to get her back by now. She must be getting some Russian tats in the meantime..

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
All of the bluster, threats and tantrums meant nothing.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29604 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, gee, I was kinda beginning to forget ol' Britt. Funny how quickly that can happen.

Seven months in a Russian jail and it ain't over yet. Eek

Posts: 107249 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Jailbird Griner, getting used to those bars, 'eh?

quote:
For the past month, former New Mexico governor Bill Richardson has been trying to negotiate Brittney Griner's potential release from Russia. Well, the Biden administration wants that to stop as soon as possible.

National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby issued a statement this Wednesday, asking outside forces to not interfere with this situation...

...Griner's lawyer, Maria Blagovolina, recently revealed that the two-time Olympic gold medalist is stressed about her future.

"Brittney is stressed and very much concerned with the future," Blagovolina said.

https://thespun.com/more/top-s...brittney-griner-news

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16611 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Wagner Group is looking for people. All she has to do is survive 6 months in Ukraine...

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
might help her cause if she didn't hate America, as was covered about 18 pages ago Smile

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Brittney is stressed and very much concerned with the future," Blagovolina said.

Worried about becoming someone's new wife for a few months.

Another example of "Fuck around and find out".

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8317 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Okay I have to ask, first under what authority does Bill Richardson have to negotiate and second what could he be offering the to gain here release.
He is the past Governor of New Mexico I am not sure what he could be offering.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
Okay I have to ask, first under what authority does Bill Richardson have to negotiate and second what could he be offering the to gain here release.
He is the past Governor of New Mexico I am not sure what he could be offering.

Probably just showboating for the media. Russia likely won't care what a mere governor has to say. Putin certainly won't likely lower himself to deal with such a relatively low-level drone.

I bet the 'biden administration' is upset with his efforts, as it shows the utter impotence of the 'commander in chief' by keeping the story in the news and reminding us that despite all the feet-stamping and bluster, she is still in prison.

This is a job for a President (too bad we don't have one), not a Govenor. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21820 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
This is a job for a President (too bad we don't have one), not a Govenor. . .

You are correct, but a leader would look at the situation & say 'she made her choices & chose poorly'. As long as she's not being treated unfairly because she is American, the US Gov should not interfere.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

This should be on t-shirts and posters along with the photo of her behind bars. They could also include “This is your future on drugs” under the photo.

Posts: 10816 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
We'll gitcha out, Britt! Us Griners- we gotta stick ta-gether!

When we gitcha back, we'll all go a-canoein'...

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
They did exchange a notorious Taliban drug dealer for a Navy vet. Kept this one quiet.

WASHINGTON (AP) — An American contractor held hostage in Afghanistan for more than two years by the Taliban has been released, his family said Monday, as a Taliban drug lord jailed by the United States was also freed and returned to Kabul.

Mark Frerichs, a Navy veteran who had spent more than a decade in Afghanistan as a civilian contractor, was abducted in January 2020 and was believed to have been since then by the Taliban-linked Haqqani network.

Negotiations for his release had centered on a deal that would also involve the release of Bashir Noorzai, a notorious drug lord and member of the Taliban who told reporters in Kabul on Monday that he spent 17 years and six months in U.S. captivity

The Biden administration did not immediately confirm details of the prisoner swap, but a sister of Frerichs, who is from Lombard, Illinois, thanked U.S. government officials who helped secure her brother’s release.

“I am so happy to hear that my brother is safe and on his way home to us. Our family has prayed for this each day of the more than 31 months he has been a hostage. We never gave up hope that he would survive and come home safely to us,” said a statement from the sister, Charlene Cakora.

Lombard man abducted in Afghanistan appears in video
In Afghanistan, Noorzai told reporters at a press conference that he had been released from an unspecified U.S. prison and handed over earlier in the day to the Taliban in Kabul, in exchange for an American prisoner held in Afghanistan whom he did not identify.

Other Taliban officials claimed Noorzai was held at the U.S. detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, but did not offer say anything to support that claim.

The Taliban-appointed foreign minister, Amir Khan Muttaqi, also spoke at the press conference alongside Noorzai and welcomed the exchange, saying it marked the start of a “new era” in U.S.-Taliban relations.

Frerichs, abducted on Jan. 31, 2020, was last seen in a video distributed earlier this year, pleading for his release so that he can be reunited with his family, according to a recording posted by The New Yorker magazine at the time.

“This can be a new chapter between Afghanistan and the United States, this can open a new door for talks between both countries,” Muttaqi said at the Kabul presser.

“This act shows us that all problems can be solved through talks and I thank both sides’ teams who worked so hard for this to happen,” Muttaqi added.

Frerichs, of Lombard, Illinois, was believed to be held by the Taliban-affiliated Haqqani network, and U.S. officials across two presidential administrations had tried unsuccessfully to get him home. In the video, which marked the first time Frerichs was seen since his abduction, he says it was filmed last November.

Videos of hostages are sometimes released to show proof that they are alive and to facilitate negotiations for a release, though it was not immediately clear if that was the case here. The New Yorker said it obtained the clip from an unidentified individual in Afghanistan.

At the time, the FBI declined to comment on the video’s authenticity, but a sister of Frerichs, Charlene Cakora, issued a statement thanking the Taliban for releasing the video and describing it as “public confirmation of our family’s long-held belief that he is alive after more than two years in captivity.”

A statement was made by President Biden, “Our priority now is to make sure Mark receives a healthy and safe return and is given the space and time he needs to transition back into society,” per the White House Press Release.

Since their takeover of Afghanistan in August last year, the Taliban have demanded the United States release Noorzai in exchange for Frerichs amid expectations of such exchanges for U.S. citizens held in Afghanistan.

However, there has been no public sign of Washington moving forward on any sort of prisoner trade or exchange.

The Taliban also posted a brief video Monday on social media showing Noorzai’s arrival at the Kabul airport where he was welcomed by top Taliban officials, including Muttaqi.

At the press conference, Noorzai expressed thankfulness at seeing his “mujahedeen brothers” — a reference to the Taliban — in Kabul.

“I pray for more success of the Taliban,” he added. “I hope this exchange can lead to peace between Afghanistan and America, because an American was released and I am also free now.”

LINK: https://wgntv.com/news/family-...-by-taliban-in-swap/

Posts: 17173 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigMaverick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:

To be honest, If I was in Russian prison for 10 years, I would probably be stressed and either very much concerned with the future, or eventually not give the first shit about the future.

But that's why I don't bring drugs into communists countries. But that's just me, you do you girl.

--------------------------

I own a bunch of Sigs with Beavertails...

Posts: 937 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
"...a leader would look at the situation & say 'she made her choices & chose poorly'. As long as she's not being treated unfairly because she is American, the US Gov should not interfere."
This sums it up perfectly.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
At this point, to put it bluntly, she is too stupid and arrogant to realize and understand that she is now just a pawn to be used by big powers, and nothing else. Despite the pandering by famous people, who are portraying their desire to help, it's all political posturing, and she as well as her supporters are now nothing but ignorant pawns to be sacrificed as deemed fit. Russia has all the power, and all the time, to use her as Putin deems. They don't give a crap.

Posts: 11811 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If there are trades to be made in releasing prisoners, she should be the last negotiated for. The other guys have been held longer so let them out first.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2872 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, no! Britt has "suffered to the max."

TO THE MAX??? Eek

Yeah, no exaggeration with these people, huh? Roll Eyes

Oh, "the most disturbing phone call I've ever experienced."

Uh huh Roll Eyes

You know what's "disturbing"? Hearing a woman refer to her "wife". Roll Eyes

Oh, poor, poor Britt: "My life just don't matter to me anymore." Well, shit, Britt- JOIN THE CLUB!! Your life doesn't matter to us, either.

I'll tell you one thing you might consider doing with all that spare time you have right now- grammar lessons.

"She's being illegally obtained." OK, look, I realize that that's the drum you pissing fools are going to beat forever, but, really stop saying this stupid shit. Russia is a sovereign nation with its own laws. Not only did she break some of those laws, she confessed, so, really, try to not embarrass yourselves any more than you have already.

Tragic, tragic sad linky. Unfair, mean, mean linky

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
she's a dude

Posts: 2713 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
dude or dud?

Posts: 53080 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post