SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Orange dial Seiko divers definitely have a way of growing on ya. Cool

Most pics (including mine) don't do it justice. I wasn't sold on it just looking at photos, but in person is another matter. It's a nice, darker orange than a lot of other orange watches use, plus the dial has a subtle sunburst effect that makes the orange "glow".

I had initially planned to sell it, to effectively have a near-free SRPE57, but now I'm thinking I'll probably keep it.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
You boys make my wallet burn.
I like Rogue's SRPD, but the hands get a little lost, in photos as least.
vthoky's blue Sam, too close to my Monster...add some orange hands, or something like that & it's a winner.

Too bust pouring money into the Midget to look at any timepiece acquisitions, for now my wallet is safe from Seiko-land.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
I like Rogue's SRPD, but the hands get a little lost, in photos as least.

I'd agree with that. They went with gold hands on a sunburst orange dial, so the shiny gold hands do tend to get a bit lost in the shiny orange glow.

I would probably like it even better if they had gone with black outlined hands. Something more like this Islander:

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yeah, if have the islander over the seiko in that case.

Dark blue hands on an orange face, or the reverse. That's probably what I'll look for in my next piece.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
for now my wallet is safe from Seiko-land.

For now...

quote:
Yep the SRPH11 is the one I was referencing….DLC with the orange minute hand

Cool

quote:
Being that the whole run of SRPH11’s are individually numbered probably hurts the collectibility.

I'm not sure I understand. Why would numbering hurt collectability?

quote:
I was hesitant to get a samurai mainly for the reason P250UA5 mentioned (the crown) but once I did get one I was pleasantly surprised by the super comfy ergonomics and gorgeous aesthetics.

I do like the 4 o'clock crown on the SKX, but crown at 3 o'clock on Samurai doesn't bother me one bit.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Orange dial watches are perfect for fun in sun.

RogueJSK, Shoot me an email if you feel the urge to upgrade that Seiko to a titanium case with a screw down crown. The Ti cases look exactly the same as far as shape but the Ti has a very neat appearance that is a bit grayer than stainless steel. It’s also a mod of that makes that watch as light as a G-Shock.

I got my new orange dial watch in some salt water today.

**clarification** the numbering doesn’t hurt collectable status if anything it helps. Let me clarify my post above, A Seiko that is 1 out of 300 and individually numbered is probably going to appreciate better than an individually numbered Seiko watch that is 1 out of 5,000.

When Seiko made the “ninja turtle” there was a very limited numbered run (300 watches total IIRC) as well as a much larger run that was not numbered. When Seiko made the Samurai variant they only made a large run (5,000 if memory serves me correct) and individually numbered all of them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
RogueJSK, Shoot me an email if you feel the urge to upgrade that Seiko to a titanium case with a screw down crown. The Ti cases look exactly the same as far as shape but the Ti has a very neat appearance that is a bit grayer than stainless steel. It’s also a mod of that makes that watch as light as a G-Shock.

Thanks for the offer. I might consider it later on. Still undecided whether I'm going to keep the orange or sell it. It was basically bought on a whim, with the intent to sell it to recoup most/all of the cost of the companion watch that I really wanted.

(I wore a titanium Casio Pathfinder on duty for well over a decade, so I can definitely appreciate the noticeably weight savings of titanium.)

Here's the other watch that I was really after from the pair, the SRPE57 "DressKX". Like on the orange SRPD, the factory Seiko bracelet it came with is cheap, hollow, and rattly, so I put it on a spare black Barton silicone band for the time being until I can install a better quality aftermarket jubilee bracelet from Strapcode, Islander, or similar.

Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:

“ In 1983, a barnacle-covered, Citizen Challenge Diver from 1977 was retrieved from an Australian beach. Much to the wide-eyed surprise of its discoverers, this watch was still running as if nothing had happened as its case protected its movement from water and dirt. This awe-inspiring find inspired Citizen’s newest dive watch, the Promaster Mechanical Diver 200M “Fujitsubo” Full Black Ref. NB6025-59H, which is a modern take on the original 1977 dive watch. ”

Those are some pretty good-looking watches. I don't really want another diver, but they have sparked an interest.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
In the words of one of my work friends: "Um... soooo... I did a thing today...."

SRPE33

This dial is just fantastic in the sunlight.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Very nice Samurai. Love the manta rays.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Cool

What's the proper term for a group of Samurai? A herd? A flock? A gaggle? Razz

God bless America.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Well….since you asked…. What is a group of Samurai called? Depends on how many Samurai’s you have at your disposal. A Sonae (regimen) consists of 300~800 warriors. Within each sonae there were several “kumi,” a group of about 20~30 men. So I believe kumi would be the best description for a group of Samurai once you reach the 20 Samurai threshold. Razz Big Grin I am nowhere near the numbers of a kumi….maybe one day. Big Grin

Congrats VThoky!! I know that’s one that you’ve been wanting a long time.

Post up a lume shot when you get a chance. I’m curious as to what color lume it has. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Big Grin
You're the man, stickman!
Perhaps I have a mini-kumi in the works here. Smile

I'll get ya a lume shot tomorrow.

And thank you! I've lurked this one for a good while. Cool

God bless America.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Man, maybe I do need a samurai in my life....you guys are the worst Wink

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
We're here for you, friend!

- - - - - -

It's a crummy pic, stick, but it shows. The lume is pretty good, and it's green.

God bless America.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The Samurai is so choice. Yeah, I’m super into turtles but the Samurai is a hell of a good watch and one of the best Seiko ever made in my humble opinion.

I bought one because of the hype surrounding it and I was not disappointed.

On a totally unrelated subject….

I might have an interesting Doxa story to tell you guys. Fingers crossed big time!!

I posted about an Orange Sub 1200T back in early July and never followed up on that post. Well…there has been some interesting developments on that front. It’s been a watch that’s caused quite a bit of drama so I am hoping the story has a positive conclusion. I am fairly confident this story will have a happy ending the way things are currently going.

More to come soon. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post

quote:
Man, maybe I do need a samurai in my life....you guys are the worst Wink

P250UA5- Do you see this Pict?
That's STICKS way of saying
"Jump on in, the water is warm!"

I'm sure you'll love your Samuri!
Big Grin

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8347 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Most pics (including mine) don't do it justice. I wasn't sold on it just looking at photos, but in person is another matter. It's a nice, darker orange than a lot of other orange watches use, plus the dial has a subtle sunburst effect that makes the orange "glow".

I had initially planned to sell it, to effectively have a near-free SRPE57, but now I'm thinking I'll probably keep it.

The more I look at your beautiful Orange Seiko the more it looks like Seiko drew inspiration from two past models that I adore. The gold hands are kind of annoying, yeah I get that but they might be doing that as a nod to the SKX011J which also has gold hands. You get used to the gold, sure blue or black would have been better but it hasn’t bothered me enough to mod the hands.

The SKX011J has a flat orange dial but it is otherwise quite similar to your Seiko.

Now that gorgeous sunburst dial on your Seiko reminds me of the really cool limited edition Seiko Orange Turtle reference: SBDY023 aka the “Nemo”. Talk about a watch with some wrist presence! Eek Big Grin. It’s a watch that DEFINITELY gets noticed. Cool

Seiko fixed the color of the hands with the Nemo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
The gold hands are kind of annoying, yeah I get that but they might be doing that as a nod to the SKX011J which also has gold hands.

That's exactly what they're doing. This newer SRPD line of so-called "5KXs" are riffs on their earlier SKX line.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
What do you guys think about Steinhart’s new Titanium DLC Ocean GMT?

From Steinie’s website:

“The STEINHART Ocean One Titanium GMT Phantom diver's watch - a rare limited edition that combines the spirit of adventure and elegance. With its titanium case and strap in a completely black DLC look, a breathtaking 3D ceramic bezel and a transparent case back, it attracts all eyes. Powered by a precise ETA 2893-2 Premium movement, your watch will reliably accompany you on all your social and sporting ventures. The STEINHART Ocean One Titanium GMT Phantom is water-resistant to 50 ATM - ready to explore the underwater world? Hurry up, because only 100 pieces per colour are available. Become part of an exclusive community that appreciates style and quality. Get hold of your unique STEINHART Ocean One Titanium GMT Phantom and start your next adventure!”

The last (stainless steel) DLC Phantom series sold out pretty quickly and to their credit Steinhart never did make another run of the stainless case Phantoms. Those babies now sell consistently higher than their original sale price on the fleabay if you can find one.

These babies seem to be selling pretty damn well. Eek Eek The original Phantoms didn’t sell out anywhere near as quickly as these. But then again they were not a run of only 100 per color. I’m not sure exactly how many were made but I’d guess it was quite a bit more than 100.

I wanted a 39mm blue version but they sold out waaay quicker than I anticipated. The 42mm version is pretty sharp as well but it’s apparently sold out too. I wonder if they are holding on to a few to sell later as it says sold out but more available soon??? When I got the email I immediately checked availability and they were all gone. A day later the 42mm blue and green became available again briefly but the red has stayed sold out. The 39mm variants never came back in stock. Frown

I remember reading something from either Gnomon or Steinhart about only selling a certain number and holding some to make available later to consider those who may have missed the email and don’t yet know about the watch. Or it could just be a sales technique to make them appear to be selling out and build urgency in the mind of prospective customers. Hmmmm

It deviates from the original Phantom green and phantom orange with that minute track/chapter ring as it pulls its design elements from the Ti GMT 500 hence the lack of Merc hands but unlike those titanium watches these babies will not be so easy to scratch thanks to the tough as nails DLC finish. Ti & DLC hmm what an interesting combo.

Steinhart surprised me with this out of the blue refresh of their Phantom series.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~