SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 ... 473
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I like that day/date layout [on the Hamilton] & the color scheme is appealing too.

I'm no diver, so the bezel on the Doxa doesn't really mean anything to me, just a nice looking piece, IMO.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15364 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Maranez’s take on the Doxa bezel is actually my favorite.

For day to day time keeping and using the thing as a watch this is easier/faster to read thanks to the hour and minute tracks on the bezel. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21120 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I actually prefer the Doxa, in this comparison.

For the longest time, I EDC'd a Movado with no markings at all, other than the disc at 12:00
So, the hour/minute markings don't mean a lot to me.

Posts: 15364 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
On the subject of Doxa…. I might have two Doxa Subs incoming. It’s not something I was planning on doing but when you have a chance to get a Sub 1200T for less than half of their going price as well as #8 of one of Doxa’s smallest limited runs (only 25 total) it hard to pass on something like that…. Eek Eek

Keep your eye on the classifieds. A great collection purge is on the horizon to fund some recent acquisitions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21120 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
On the subject of Doxa…. I might have two Doxa Subs incoming. It’s not something I was planning on doing but when you have a chance to get a Sub 1200T for less than half of their going price as well as #8 of one of Doxa’s smallest limited runs (only 25 total) it hard to pass on something like that…. Eek Eek

Keep your eye on the classifieds. A great collection purge is on the horizon to fund some recent acquisitions.

Cool
Watching & waiting, not that I have the budget for any new acquisitions right now...

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Watching & waiting, not that I have the budget for any new acquisitions right now...

I'm sure we can help you find something you can't live without. Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13514 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:

I'm sure we can help you find something you can't live without. Razz

No doubt.
Been meaning to move my SNK805 to a new owner, haven't worn it since getting the Monster, and the CZ gets wrist time on the weekends or on my WFH days, with the Citizen F150 getting the rest when I want a change.

Might offer the SNK to my dad for a beater watch when he doesn't want to risk his Sternglas (yard work & such).

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
It’s “time” for some black dial love.

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5: For the longest time, I EDC'd a Movado with no markings at all, other than the disc at 12:00...

I have a Movado as well, but I only wear it on special occasions. I got it when I worked at a Movado shop, using my employee discount. It's beautiful, but for EDC I wear my Casio Duro. They're so cheap that I don't worry about damage or loss.

(Did you know that a Movado is part of the permanent collection at the Museum of Modern Art?)

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
But you have to admit BrianO that it is neat that they found a way to put the table onto the bezel in a functional way.

I agree. I've never seen that watch and thanks for posting the video.

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
But you have to admit BrianO that it is neat that they found a way to put the table onto the bezel in a functional way.

I question the functionality. I normally set the pip on the bezel for when I need to END a dive, not at the START of it. Seeing the minute hand when it reaches the pip, which is big and often luminous, is much easier than seeing a small hash mark and a number that looks much like other marks and numbers on the bezel, especially in dark and/or murky water.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5: For the longest time, I EDC'd a Movado with no markings at all, other than the disc at 12:00...

I have a Movado as well, but I only wear it on special occasions. I got it when I worked at a Movado shop, using my employee discount. It's beautiful, but for EDC I wear my Casio Duro. They're so cheap that I don't worry about damage or loss.

(Did you know that a Movado is part of the permanent collection at the Museum of Modern Art?)

Mine is a Fiero [tungsten band, and I think case, sapphire crystal], the only curved crystal Movado I've ever seen. It was a college graduation gift from my dad, and was my EDC until I got the Citizen F150, which was later relegated by the Monster.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I just had a great conversation with a fellow Doxa lover. The subject of Seiko came up and we both were in agreement that for the money you cannot beat a Seiko as an entry level automatic that punches way above its weight class.

The conversation then drifted to the Seiko Monster. I don’t have one of those.

Monster owners in your eyes what is it that makes the Monster so special? The watch seems to have a fiercely loyal following. Is it the case shape? The dial?

I’ve come close a few times to getting one but other watches always seem to win out.

What am I missing out on?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My first/only Seiko is a Monster [SRPD25], bought off vthoky.
It's a really comfortable wear, even if it's a bit heavy [compared to my CZ Smart Hybrid & Citizen F150 Satellite]

I don't really see it being significantly different to a Samurai, apart from some style differences & crown position. But I've not had a Sam in hand to compare.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Im with you P250UA5, it doesn’t seem too different from other popular Seiko watches.

A watch reviewer on YouTube that I like (RandomRob) , the person that runs doxa300T.com and most recently a fellow watch enthusiast I run into all sing the praises of both Doxa and the Seiko Monster.

I get the Doxa Sub appeal but find myself wondering why people who love Doxa also seem to adore Seiko Monsters.

Could it be the orange dial? The orange Monster seems to be especially popular among Doxa fans. Is there more to it than that?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
It’s “time” for some black dial love.

Yeah, man!

God bless America.

Posts: 13514 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Not to keep banging the same drum, but if you're in the market for an orange Seiko Monster, I'd recommend taking a look at the Islander ISL-94 instead.

For $300 (significantly less than the price of a used Seiko Monster), you get a new watch with the same styling, same Seiko movement, and same excellent lume, but a better sapphire crystal and better bracelet.

https://longislandwatch.com/is...-click-bezel-isl-94/

Posts: 32537 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ And no cyclops. That's about my only knock on my Monster.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
^ And no cyclops. That's about my only knock on my Monster.

I'm not a cyclops fan either. But only some of the Monsters have a cyclops. Many do not.

The Gen 1 SKX781 and Gen 2 SRP309 Orange Monsters, on which Islander based theirs, don't have one.

Posts: 32537 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
That Hamilton is very nice, just need a date window at least.

Now that you mention it. Got to have a date window.

Posts: 7541 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post