SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
I have the exact Helm watch as pictured directly above and slight ‘blemishes’ began to appear on the bezel which have progressively been getting worse and are now along the complete circumference of the bezel. I thought that the blemishes may be due to glue seepage.

I sent an e-mail to Helm with some pics to get a replacement bezel sent to me and received a prompt reply from Matt advising me to send the watch into the service center which I will do.

He thinks that the blemishes are due to this -

“We've occasionally seen this happen with sapphire bezels as the result of water damage, when moisture finds its way past the protective undercoating that's printed beneath the lume (on the underside of the sapphire insert). The moisture most likely found its way in during our overpressure test (probably due to a defect in the application of the printed undercoating ) and is now causing the lume to deteriorate.”

I really like the watch and appreciate the members of SIGforum for bringing this brand to my attention!

Rob

I will say that they stand behind their warranty. I had to send a new Komodo in for failure of the auto wind about three years ago and they took care of it right away. The service center in Ohio sent all sorts of documentation back with the repaired watch.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Stickman!

Our lovely local pusher -- I mean, um, jeweler -- texted me earlier this week about an Oris event on the 22nd. Did you get the word as well?

- - - - - - - - -

Side question: do you have an orange Samurai?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vthoky,

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stylophiles:
quote:
Originally posted by eTripper:
Thanks, stickman. Went with my Deep Blue today.

Well great. I sense a disturbance in the bank account….

So, the Deep Blue watches, are they a good, solid tool watch?

Like, you can shoot with it on, play golf, hammer fence posts in, dance an extra enthusiastic version of the chicken dance, all the stuff they say “ooooohhhhh, that will mess up an automatic watch”

Because everything I’m reading online seems to indicate they are a pretty good, heavy chunk of stainless steel with a NH 35 movement tucked inside. Which seems to indicate just about exactly what I really need.

Bill R

I've had excellent durability/service with my Deep Blue(s), and they lived-up to the hype. Here's a snap of my other Deep Blue in the stable. I'm currently, looking into the Aragon, and Islander microbrands. On the 'wait-list' for a Helm Komodo.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stylophiles:
quote:
Thanks, stickman. Went with my Deep Blue today.

Well great. I sense a disturbance in the bank account….

So, the Deep Blue watches, are they a good, solid tool watch?

Like, you can shoot with it on, play golf, hammer fence posts in, dance an extra enthusiastic version of the chicken dance, all the stuff they say “ooooohhhhh, that will mess up an automatic watch”

Because everything I’m reading online seems to indicate they are a pretty good, heavy chunk of stainless steel with a NH 35 movement tucked inside. Which seems to indicate just about exactly what I really need.

Bill R

I have a DB Master 1000 and it is a tank. I wore it every day for 3 or 4 months and now it's my beach/lake watch and I've been really happy with it. It also has really good fit and finish for a $200 watch.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Stickman!

Our lovely local pusher -- I mean, um, jeweler -- texted me earlier this week about an Oris event on the 22nd. Did you get the word as well?

- - - - - - - - -

Oris has quite a few models I'd gladly wear.
Also, an orange Monster would definitely take a #2 slot to the blue one I have on my wrist right now Wink

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm currently, looking into the Aragon, and Islander microbrands.

I have an Aragon and two Islanders, and I'm impressed with both brands. (But between those two, I think Islander is the better choice.)

I picked up an Aragon on a whim while cruising eBay. It was a LNIB Aragon Divemaster 42 in yellow, but was labeled as just "men's watch" with no other details, and was about to end with a very low opening bid and 0 bidders. So I tossed a bid at it, figuring that at the cheap price it was worthwhile as simply a cheap beater. What I got surprised me. Well worth the ~$80 after shipping and taxes I paid, or even the current asking price of $140 on the Aragon website. I'm now considering swapping the red and orange hands over to black, for the "bumblebee" look.

Aragon has a lot of odd/flashy designs and trends towards oversized watches (48-50+ millimeters), neither of which are my style, but they do offer some more "normal" watches like my 42mm Divemaster. If you find one of their designs you like, the quality is definitely there, especially for the low price.

I now own two Islanders, and overall, I think Islander is probably my favorite microbrand so far. Their quality is right about the best I've seen at their $200-$300 price point, their customer service is reportedly legendary, and they're constantly coming out with great designs, most of which trend towards more traditional styling rather than getting too "funky" like some other microbrands. (The owner, Marc, is also a bonafide watch geek who puts out a ton of informative content on his YouTube channel, and just seems like a genuinely nice guy.)

My newest Islander is their ISL-19, which is a homage/improvement on the venerable but now discontinued Seiko SKX009, just better in every way. Better movement, better lume, better sapphire crystal, better applied indices, better sapphire bezel, better bracelet, etc. It is now my favorite watch I own, hands down.

I also own a ISL-120, which is a great watch too. It's one of the first microbrands I bought, and it's more of a teal/sea blue than the navy/dark blue I expected so it doesn't see as much wrist time as I own fewer clothes that go with it, but I do like it. It's also smaller than my usual 42-44mm watches at just 40mm, but it still looks great on my large 8+ inch wrist.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
That ISL19 is really nice, but I'd just prefer a non-Pepsi bezel.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
That ISL19 is really nice, but I'd just prefer a non-Pepsi bezel.

Tons of other Islander watches available, including quite a few color variations of that same SKX homage style: https://longislandwatch.com/islander-watches/

(And that's not counting the various discontinued models that are no longer listed there but are available on the secondary market.)

You can also mod these watches to have whatever color bezel you want, using the SKX mod parts that Islander and other retailers offer.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm cruising happily, for now, with my Monster & CZ.
All my fun $ is getting poured into the Midget for now.

Unless I stumbled on a shockingly amazing deal on a Moonwatch, Grand Seiko or Glashutte 60s, no new watches for me for a bit.

posted Hide Post
Well…. We have a Deep Blue Master 1000 G2 inbound. Hoping this will be the right answer to my “work watch” quest.

The price was definitely right, even considering that I immediately ordered two different NATO straps for the thing prior to arrival.

Just need four days of patience for the shipping.

Bill R

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
no new watches for me for a bit.

[Cosby, as Noah] Riiiiight! [/Cosby, as Noah] Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
I agree with your points on the Aragon(s), Rogue. I was actually drawn to the same yellow-dialed specimen. Purchased my Vostok Europe from Marc, a few moons back. The Islander version of the Orange Monster rocks! I've gotta get one! Here are better snaps, of my other Deep Blue. Watches always seem to be the most-challenging subjects to photograph. As you can see, it has a few 'character-marks', that show it's wrist-time. Cheers!

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Stickman!

- - - - - - - - -

vthoky, Yes I did get an invite. I’m tempted as Oris makes a few watches that I like. A few years ago I helped moderate a watch group on Facebook and one of the other mods was a HUGE Oris fan.

The answer to your side question is also yes. I have two Orange Samurai watches, one is stock and the other has been modified with an OEM Seiko DLC bezel with an OEM Seiko blue/light blue bezel insert. I believe the bezel is off a Save The Ocean Samurai. It’s quite the low key mod watch that doesn’t look like a mod.

The stock Orange Samurai with the black/orange bezel insert.

While we’re on the subject of orange dial divers here is my 2023 summer watch. The orange sapphire dial is becoming one of my favorites.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

The answer to your side question is also yes. I have two Orange Samurai watches, one is stock

Man, if we both get to visit the Oris event, I'd like to have a look at the stock one if you don't mind.

That new CW is sharp!

God bless America.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
So…no interest in the mod with its Red Bull KTM Factory Racing colors or perhaps it’s the likeness to UVA Cavaliers colors that ruins it eh? Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
That orange/blue samurai is mighty purty.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I didn’t plan on modding the Orange samurai at first. It was an unfortunate victim in a rather nasty scooter accident.

I used the road rashed bezel from the Samurai for a beaten to hell turtle build and used a spare DLC Samurai bezel that I had planned for a turtle build but it wouldn’t fit that particular case. It fit perfectly on the orange Samurai.

There are other orange, orange/gray/black and orange/gray NATO straps that look good and don’t look as much like the watch of a Cavalier’s fan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
don’t look as much like the watch of a Cavalier’s fan.

Wahoos, wahoos,
Whatcha gonna do? Razz

- - -

I did consider picking up SRPJ93 when The Lovely Girlfriend's daughter thought she was headed to UNC, though.

She chose a different college, and that saved my watch fund for other pursuits. Cool

As for the orange Sam: I'm not sure I'm bold enough to wear an orange watch, but would like to try one on for a minute.

The Samurai I'd really like to have (eventually) is the Gray Dawn from about five years ago -- SRPD01, a Euro-only release.

God bless America.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you can't find a SRPF01, keep an eye out for the (now discontinued) Islander ISL-28 on the secondary market, which was inspired by that Gray Dawn model: https://longislandwatch.com/is...c-dive-watch-isl-28/

It was also offered in a sunburst dial version, and if you're not married to the waffle dial, there are two of that version on eBay right now:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/404372309422
https://www.ebay.com/itm/235085588930
(Personally, I'm not a waffle dial fan.)

Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oris has quite a few models I'd gladly wear.

A few months back I visited a watch store in Denver. I'd been mulling over Ball and wanted to see them up close and personal. If I would have had the money in my pocket with the intent to buy that day I would have walked out with an Oris.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post