SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
If you can't find a SRPF01, keep an eye out for the (now discontinued) Islander ISL-28

Thank you!

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I recently stumbled on this thread and enjoyed seeing all the cool watches. I don't wear a watch and really the only one I have was given to be by my father, which is why I keep it. Here along side my grandfathers Colt Vest Pocket.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
A Patek is a great “only” watch to own.

I’ll let those more knowledgeable than me to tell you more about it.

Posts: 3724 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
A Patek is a great “only” watch to own.

I’ll let those more knowledgeable than me to tell you more about it.

Thank you! I know nothing about watches other than what I heard almost 1/2 century ago which was Timex were inexpensive but worked well, and Rolex and Patek Philippe while pricy are considered good.

My father was a watch collector and enthusiast and around 1985 he gave my two brothers in law each a Rolex and me this one, which looked like a Timex with a different name to me but whatever, I was grateful and we all thanked him. A few days later when I was with him he said "I want you to know that it might not look it but the watch I gave you is a better piece than the Rolex's Tom and John each got." Him saying that made me even more appreciative and that's all I know about my watch and the two Rolex's they got. I wore it as my dress watch a couple times a year but when I started carrying a phone there seemed no need to wear any wrist watch so I haven't worn one since and don't even know where my every day Casio is. I keep the watch in a gun safe which is in a conditioned room. A couple times a year I get it out, wind it a few turns to get it running, then put it back. Should I be doing this?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That is the equivalent of being gifted a vintage Aston Martin or Ferrari. That is a VERY prestigious name in the watch world.

Incredible watch and beautiful story!

I have come to the realization that grail watches are just milestones. The perfect watch probably doesn’t exist. I thought for sure a Sinn would do it for me but unfortunately I’ve developed a fancy for a fairly expensive watch. I have a solid value brand clone on a blue NATO that I adore but I do find myself pondering selling off most the collection to fund a GMT Master II.

With the waiting list and sad fact that I can’t find a single Pepsi version for sale online (only black & blue bezel inserts) I suppose it could be years before one is available.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been a while since I shot this one…

My “everyday” watch. A Fortis B42 Cosmonout Chrono. Got it way, way, way (damn I a now feeling oooold” back, when I had decided that only a big ol stainless steel automatic chronograph would suit my oh so manly nature.

Fortunately for little old broke ass me, the shop I was doing photography for was a retailer, so I got a good enough deal on trade that this tank has been on my wrist for the last couple decades.

During which I think I’ve used the chronograph function about three times. Oh well. It’s still a good looking watch that has held up to some usage!

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heck, I went and grabbed this one out of the safe, cause it hasn’t been out in a while.

Back when I needed a “dress up” watch. My wife decided, based on comments I made while shooting this one, that it was the best ever idea for a birthday gift.

Another one got on a good deal from a customer I was shooting for. Chronoswiss Kairos.

More or less a plain ol watch, but I love the dial, a cream color texture enamel, with bright blue hands.

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Always liked Chronoswiss. Beautiful Breguet hands!

Posts: 11388 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got my Deep Blue in, and so far, very impressed!

It seems to be just about everything I would want for a work watch, maybe minus tritium, but even there I’m not sure I’d “need need” it. For $149, this a very so,I’d chunk of quality!

Bill R

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That’s a sharp watch! The crown up around 10 o’clock is very Seamaster-esque. Is it a helium release valve?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep, that's a helium release valve.

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
After sitting in customs purgatory in NY for almost two months my Sinn 20mm brushed buckle was finally delivered.

Crown & Buckle premium NATO straps already have a nice buckle but adding a Sinn marked buckle to a dull grey NATO does elevate the 203 Ti Ar by authentically appearing to be completely stock/original.

That is the longest a watch accessory I ordered has ever taken to come from Germany. Only Australia has had a longer shipping time of 4 months during the pandemic.

On a positive note my Orange Sapphire CW left from the UK and arrived two days later and with ZERO additional taxes/duty fees. Big Grin

The dial is just mesmerizing and fun to look at. I suppose if you have ADD like me you might really fancy the sapphire semi skeleton look of CW’s C60 line. There is a blue variant identical to mine in size and a slightly larger smoke/grey stealthy variant with DLC, a huge display case-back and a fancy 5 day in-house automatic movement.

The edges/border of the indices are angled downward slightly towards the dial to catch and reflect light similar to Seiko’s amazing (and underrated) Stargate II dial except not all the way down to the dial like on the Seiko. In low light it makes a neat effect and makes the watch easy to read.

A WELL WORN Seiko Stargate II from the heavy rotation. I love this watch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Yep, that's a helium release valve.

And a very welcome addition. Prior to this one, I was always plagued with nasty, excessive helium in my watches! Some days, my left arm would be floating as much as five inches above my right. But no longer! A simple twist, and it’s all back in balance!

Seriously though, it’s a nice touch on such an affordable watch, and makes me feel a bit more confident that the depth rating actually might mean something. I know I’m definitely not worried about getting it wet!

Bill R

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I like that Deep Blue put on a helium release design similar to the Seamaster.

The helium release is a point of contention amongst some Omega enthusiasts. Those against it argue the valve is mostly pointless.

I disagree with that camp for two reasons. Number one I like the iconic look of the 10 o’clock He valve. Reason number two, on my favorite Omega Seamaster, the reference : 212.30.42.50.01.001 the helium release valve brilliantly hides the pusher for the date quick set to advance the date while still functioning normally as a He valve with locking crown for saturation diving.

It also maintains a 300m/1000ft WR rating with that external pusher. This is probably due to a neat design that protects the watch movement pushers and even allows for the use of the pushers to activate the chronograph while underwater just like the masterful Sinn 206 Ar line.

Only downside (if you can really call it that) is that the straight knurled parts of the pushers you would turn to lock the pushers ordinarily on a chronograph are fixed. This is carried over to the new Seamaster Professional Chronograph that succeeded mine as well as the Sinn 206 that utilizes very similar tech.

I like the functionality of the waterproof pushers but I don’t like losing the analog interface of being able to lock out the pushers from accidental hits.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
I recently stumbled on this thread and enjoyed seeing all the cool watches. I don't wear a watch and really the only one I have was given to be by my father, which is why I keep it. Here along side my grandfathers Colt Vest Pocket.

First, never, ever, sell that watch.

Second, Google Patek Phillipe Calatrava to see just how nice a gift he gave you. That's a stunning piece.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stylophiles, that is a PERFECT EDC Chrono!

Just enough wear and tear, still looks great. I understand the allure of high end watches, and those "safe queens" that never get a scratch. However, I have no problem with owning a high end watch, and using it as my EDC, getting that "well worn" look.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
Second, Google Patek Phillipe Calatrava to see just how nice a gift he gave you. That's a stunning piece.

Eek

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Stylophiles, that is a PERFECT EDC Chrono!

Just enough wear and tear, still looks great. I understand the allure of high end watches, and those "safe queens" that never get a scratch. However, I have no problem with owning a high end watch, and using it as my EDC, getting that "well worn" look.

I’m torn. Part of me would want to preserve it though I have a special affinity towards luxury watches with honest wear and tear from being an every day watch.

Being such a unique watch with a great history I would wear it but mostly for special occasions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:

Holy macaroni - we don't have a lot of Pateks show up. That is a beauty from a great era in design. Pateks are among the ne plus ultra in watches. Great bracelet, too. It might need a cleaning and lube, but it is running. Find someone good if it needs some service. Stickman is right, that is the watch equivalent of a Ferrari. A Rolex is like a nice Mercedes Benz.

The pistol is cool.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post