SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I am probably being stupid modding this thing but everything I am doing can easily be undone should I choose to return it back to original condition. I was planning on swapping the hands but have since come to my senses and decided against that. I’m really just going to be re-casing into an OEM Seiko SRP Turtle case and modding the case a bit.

I found a thread on watchuseek where one sold for $415 shipped. Hahhahahhah I bought mine a few years ago when I first got into automatics for $99 off of the fleabay. Big Grin I believe they originally retailed for something like $89. Big Grin I cannot find a single example for sale right now, only previously sold examples and they were around 4x the price of its original retail price tag.

This dial is one of the best ever in the Seiko 5 line. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Oh, my... Strapcode just introduced a Super Jubilee for my Alpinist. I don't need to spend more money on this watch -- would kinda ruin the great deal I got -- but I do really like this bracelet.

God bless America.

Posts: 13501 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Mine is on the Angus (large link) jubilee.

I got the oyster for it also, so I can swap.

Did the same for my Marinemaster, typically have it on the Angus jubilee. Feels like a piece of armor, truth be told. Solid and heavy.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^

I like that! Thank you for posting the pic.

God bless America.

Posts: 13501 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Pickle Rick, This is a great source to gain some info before you embark upon the wonderful world of Seiko watch mods. A beginners guide to Seiko mods . There is a lot of great info and advice in that article. And of course if you ever have any questions don’t hesitate to ask. There are plenty of people following and participating in this thread whose watch mod knowledge far exceeds mine. I’m sure they would be equally as happy to help. Smile

vthoky, I REALLY like that new bracelet that strapcode made for the Alpinist. That thing is gorgeous and manages to improve an already great looking watch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I don't remember if I showed this before or not -- my grandfather's Bulova, with an old-fashioned Speidel Twist-o-Flex band.

I'm considering getting a newer bracelet for it and wearing it some. Cool

God bless America.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
I don't remember if I showed this before or not -- my grandfather's Bulova, with an old-fashioned Speidel Twist-o-Flex band.

I'm considering getting a newer bracelet for it and wearing it some. Cool

That's a great watch. Careful with the metal bracelets./ I worked on one for a guy and when I removed the bracelet, it had eroded half way thru the inside of the lug. They are convenient, but sometime not the best choice for a treasured heirloom.

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
It truly is a remarkable machine!

r0gue - Do you know about how many individual parts there are in that watch?

Not exactly. But it's a cal. 863. So...

https://millenarywatches.com/o...1863-complete-guide/

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
That's a great watch. Careful with the metal bracelets./ I worked on one for a guy and when I removed the bracelet, it had eroded half way thru the inside of the lug. They are convenient, but sometime not the best choice for a treasured heirloom.

That Twist-o-flex is a bit too small for my wrist. I'm thinking on putting another bracelet on it -- I'd love to know what the original on this watch looked like. Time to spend more money at Strapcode, I suppose. Big Grin

God bless America.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
99% chance that Bulova came with that twist o flex.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Cool watch, Vthoky. I have an old Speidel Sportsman that isn’t too dissimilar, it has a twist-o-flex, of course. And I agree with Mars.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Bulova used Duchess and JB Champion in their higher end offerings.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39753 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by stickman428:
Pickle Rick, This is a great source to gain some info before you embark upon the wonderful world of Seiko watch mods. A beginners guide to Seiko mods . There is a lot of great info and advice in that article. And of course if you ever have any questions don’t hesitate to ask. There are plenty of people following and participating in this thread whose watch mod knowledge far exceeds mine. I’m sure they would be equally as happy to help. Smile

Stickman428, thank you so much for the information you have provided me as it is very much appreciated. Take care, John.

Posts: 2876 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I picked up this Hodinkee sourced Zodiac Super Sea Wolf 53. This series is much closer to the original Sea Wolf of the nineteen sixties.

It's the 39mm instead of the 40 of my Zodiac Sea Wolf Compressor. The case lugs have been re contoured, closer to the original shape where the compressor has longer, 49mm sharper lugs.

The bracelet is a tapered oyster instead of straight and much more close to the original styling.

I REALLY like the sapphire bezel that is retrospective of the original bakelite, retro dauphine hands and pizza markers.

It has Fossil's STP movement factory's version of the ETA no date movement. It's the STP 3-13 with the swan neck regulator and 26 jewels, an improvement over the 1-11 that's in my compressor.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I picked up this Hodinkee sourced Zodiac Super Sea Wolf 53. This series is much closer to the original Sea Wolf of the nineteen sixties.

It's the 39mm instead of the 40 of my Zodiac Sea Wolf Compressor. The case lugs have been re contoured, closer to the original shape where the compressor has longer, 49mm sharper lugs.

The bracelet is a tapered oyster instead of straight and much more close to the original styling.

I REALLY like the sapphire bezel that is retrospective of the original bakelite, retro dauphine hands and pizza markers.

It has Fossil's STP movement factory's version of the ETA no date movement. It's the STP 3-13 with the swan neck regulator and 26 jewels, an improvement over the 1-11 that's in my compressor.

love this and love the numerals on the pizza markers. very retro.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That is such a cool looking watch! I really like the retro vibe it has and the lume.

Super cool watch! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Here's the Compressor.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Because I am in for a long wait for my Helm Komodo (at last check I was #1950 on the list), and I already have a decent white face diver, a black face diver, two solar/atomic watches and a Seiko automatic. , it was time for BLUE.

Heaviest watch I've ever held.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I almost got one of those instead of my Orient. Kinda wished I had, the honeymoon phase is over, only took a few weeks. I have a thing for full lume dials, I need to try one out.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Full lume is cool but it doesn’t (at least in my experience with Zelos and Invicta) last all night long. It is however really cool to see in person. Every hardcore watch enthusiast should at some point give full lume dials a try. Smile

I like that the dial is blue but still fully illuminates. That’s different, typically the dials are white. I wonder if the Deep Blue lume lasts longer than its full dial lume competition?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~