SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:

$190 lol.

...And that's one of the very cheapest optional straps they have!!!
I wanted one of the rubber Seamaster bands... $600! LOL

yeah I was going to get one of their Bond NATOs for my SMP but they are $160.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Gee thanks stickman Wink

I'm on the Komodo waiting list at #2179 and can't wait.

I'm at 1962, and I think that is at least a year out.

Yikes. Looks like we are both waiting for a long time.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Gee thanks stickman Wink

I'm on the Komodo waiting list at #2179 and can't wait.

I'm at 1962, and I think that is at least a year out.

Yikes. Looks like we are both waiting for a long time.

I'm at 1950, we are in for a long wait!

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post

ORANGE!

I like it, but I dunno. 41.5mm might be a bit small for me. 42-44 looks about right. I don’t like the case shape of the Mako XL’s, though. The lume is impressive, even in the daylight. I’ll give it a shot. It’s screaming for an AR coated sapphire and a new bezel, though.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
yeah I was going to get one of their Bond NATOs for my SMP but they are $160.

Well I did fall for the NATO...

...but I think it was because I bought it after having a root canal and was still under the 'good stuff' they gave me for the pain!

Posts: 4030 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Friends, I'm mighty happy with my second-hand Seiko SRPD09... except for the power reserve. The 4R35 movement stats an (approximate) 41-hour reserve. I wore this thing all day yesterday (hiking, not desk-riding) and didn't put it on until about 11am this morning. It had stopped.

I saw the same effect earlier in the week -- an all-day wear was followed by a "quit" sometime around 5am the next morning.

This is not the first Seiko automatic I've had that behaved this way, so now I'm wondering... what causes this? And, of course, how can I remedy it?

BTW, P220 Smudge, that's a sweet-looking Orient you've got there. I'm not sure I'm bold enough to wear orange like that, but that doesn't stop it from being a good looking watch. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:...what causes this? And, of course, how can I remedy it?
The 41-hour power reserve assumes starting from a full wind, and just wearing it may not be giving it a full wind, even if you think you were active enough. The remedy is to manually wind it, or to put it on a watch winder when you're not wearing it.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Good to know! Thank you, Brian.

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

ORANGE!

I like it, but I dunno. 41.5mm might be a bit small for me. 42-44 looks about right. I don’t like the case shape of the Mako XL’s, though. The lume is impressive, even in the daylight. I’ll give it a shot. It’s screaming for an AR coated sapphire and a new bezel, though.

I have this exact watch!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Vthoky, something in the neighborhood of about 25 turns of the crown should fully wind up the power reserve on a Seiko 4R35/36 movement. You can feel the resistance while turning the crown on a fully powered reserve on some movements more than others but you should still be able to tell a slight difference while winding it once it is fully powered.

I am not aware of the Seiko movements being nearly as problematic as the ETA 2824-2 when hand wound. Typically people say not to make a habit of winding an auto excessively but it probably won’t hurt a Seiko as much as it would an ETA 2824-2 or it’s many variants. I’d do it at least once to test the power reserve.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Wasn't going to buy another watch (Yeah right!), but this one came up for auction and I got it for $50 over the low estimate. Zenith Land & Water, not many around. The crown is wrong, but all correct otherwise.

Comparison with my super rare Tavannes Submarine. Both are early waterproof trench watches.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Those are very cool, KZ1000.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
My wife and I recently celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary. She got me the Tudor as a present.

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ That's a beauty Scot, looks like she's (your wife) a real keeper! Smile

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1311 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Scot818, congrats! That’s a beautiful watch your wife got you. I am a HUGE fan of Tudor’s snowflake hands. The people who don’t like them need to come to grips with the fact that they are wrong and have awful taste. Big Grin

I took my Steinhart ocean GMT DLC (which also has snowflake hands) surfing today. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Those Black Bays are really nice. Good choice.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Wasn't going to buy another watch (Yeah right!), but this one came up for auction and I got it for $50 over the low estimate. Zenith Land & Water, not many around. The crown is wrong, but all correct otherwise.

Comparison with my super rare Tavannes Submarine. Both are early waterproof trench watches.

Those are awesome. I've always liked the looks of the old trench watches.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scot818:
My wife and I recently celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary. She got me the Tudor as a present.

Nice! I want the GMT Black Bay pretty badly.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
A turtle on the beach.

I just love how the light catches the gold hands on this baby.

Beach life is the best life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
Another 'Shout-Out' to the guys at CountyComm again. Previously gave Mike/CountyComm one for their service on my Maratac SR9015L.

Well, they did even better this time around. Their discontinued GPT (General Purpose Timer) had been on my radar for a bit. I like the robust look of the watch, the Arabic numerals, and no-date format.

As luck would have it, I found a pre-owned unit the interwebz...wound up buying it for a decent price all things considered. The original nato strap had been replaced by an basic black rubber unit. But more importantly, a previous owner appeared to have removed the bezel and then removed the black enamel out of the inset indices markings. Why someone might do this, I dunno. Bezel was also no longer unidirectional.

Soo...sorta like that scruffy mutt at the pound, I picked it up to give it a new home. I already knew of the parts were no longer available. Off to Mike at CountyComm with a small fee to see what they might be able to service and refurbish it a bit.

Well, a few days after receiving it, Mike emails for another small amount (think a decent lunch for 2 at a nice sit down restaurant), they'll give me the last GPT-2 they have in existence at their shop. Cool

I obviously jumped at that. It came 'new' sans Nato, so it's currently residing on a nice Barton Silicone Elite black band with red liner/underside. The black/red matches the GPT-2's back face/markings/red second hand nicely.

All in all, quite pleased at how this one worked out.

For those not familiar, here's an article on the GPT-2:

https://www.watchprosite.com/h...-/17.936263.6468343/

(No relationship to CountyComm other than being a satisfied customer).

Cheers,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post