SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
My number just came up or a Helm KHURABURI TITANIUM - I already have a Komodo.
Having second thoughts...............

WWSFD (what would SigForum do)?

I rarely wear my Black Komodo. I always wear my white Khuraburi Titanium. YMMV

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Have you ever bought the same watch twice?

Not two exact same versions of a watch but rather bought the same watch twice?

I sort of did that with my Doxa Sub 1200T Professional.

I came across a Doxa Sub 1200T listed as “Doxa Sub” on the fleabay. The pics are low quality but the description doesn’t raise any red flags and it seems like a pretty darn good deal at $1100 so I buy it.

Fast forward three days and still no notification of the watch shipping. Concerned the watch might be delivered while I am out of town I shoot a quick email over to the seller. No response.

I wait a few more days and send two more emails. Still no response from the seller.

Now I am beginning to think it is some sort of scam or something happened to the seller and they are unable to respond.

After something like two weeks I am able to get eBay to return my money. I never did get a response from the seller during the dispute process.

Not sure what to make of the situation and frustrated I missed out on an orange Doxa Sub at a good price I go on vacation with the peace of mind that a watch won’t be delivered while I’m a few hundred miles away from home.

Then about 1/2 way through our beach vacation I get a response from the seller. He was in the hospital and was totally unaware the watch had sold. Now I feel pretty bad. It was something I had considered as a possibility for the lack of response from the seller.

We get to talking and he seems like a good guy so I let him know I am still interested in buying the Doxa. For the next two weeks he attempts to get the watch relisted on the fleabay but ultimately all they do to accommodate the strange situation is close his account and refuse to let him repost it. This is a seller with 100% feedback and years of membership with eBay. Mad

We talk on the phone a few times and I offer to send him money on PayPal and gave him my address. To my surprise he knocks off $100 from the price as he will be making more money from the sale due to eBay not getting their cut.

Typically that behavior will get you banned but since he was already banned what can they do?!

Yeah it was maybe a little bit of a risk but I’ve done collections for years for two major banks so I’ve dealt with thousands of scumbags and this guy didn’t seem to fit that bill. This guy didn’t sound like a scammer. His anger at eBay seemed QUITE genuine.

I don’t think he will return to selling but I did leave feedback that was HIGHLY critical of eBay for making the process way more difficult for both of us than it had to be. I also mentioned displeasure with eBay not being understanding at all of the sellers unique circumstances.

Turns out the guy was legit and I got the watch exactly when he said it would be delivered.

So that’s how I got my Doxa Sub 1200T Professional.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Buy it. I bought a steel Khuraburi on the strength of SF watch-nerds' recommendation. I thought it would be OK because it's on the larger side and I've been trending towards ~39-41mm as my sweet spot (though the 38mm Borealis Bull Shark I just got is SWEET). I was surprised at how much I liked that watch. But, you feel the steel. I got the Ti version gifted the steel to my son. The lightness of this version makes up for the one (highly arguable) downside of the original.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 872 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Seiko’s new Save the Ocean (STO) 62mas has a weird dial.

To me it looks like some kind of sleepy eye or esoteric symbol. If you blur your eyes a bit it almost resembles the Death Star. That would be a sweet nickname for a Seiko watch. Big Grin You read it here first. Big Grin

It’s damn odd looking but I suppose it sort of looks like an astrolabe. I just can’t unsee the eye on it (no pun intended).

Link to STO 62mas info

The explanation of the dial.

“They have aptly coined the name “Glacier Dial” for this year’s STO series, and it is obvious why. The dial is a beautiful shade of blue with textures that remind one of the astrolabe - the ancient navigational tool that seafarers, perhaps including some of those who braved the rocky coastlines of Fournoi, used to determine the latitude and time of their location based on the position of the stars and the sun, and so assist their navigation.“

Ok yeah it makes sense but it still looks odd to me. Big Grin

At that price….they can keep it. Done priced themselves out of the market IMO.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Eh Gads - $3k!

Posts: 3724 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Eh Gads - $3k!

Thanks for saving me the time to look it up!

And I agree: Eee-yikes!
I'm a Seiko nut, but not at that price level! Eek

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I think that Doxa is really nice, but for about $3k, I’d pass on the Seiko. For that price I’d rather go with a Tudor.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Should be branded a Grand Seiko for that price

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have liked those 62MAS-alikes since they came out, but they price them too high for that they are.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Here is a neat little Tissot you don’t see get mentioned too often. I have two of these but the other one is just totally beaten to hell. This one is more of a safe queen that occasionally comes out to play. Smile

ETA 2824-2 movement and 38mm case so it provides great timekeeping in a compact package that’s pretty easy on the eyes.

It has one of the coolest looking bracelets Tissot has ever made for a diver.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobLew:
quote:

Buy it. I bought a steel Khuraburi on the strength of SF watch-nerds' recommendation. I thought it would be OK because it's on the larger side and I've been trending towards ~39-41mm as my sweet spot (though the 38mm Borealis Bull Shark I just got is SWEET). I was surprised at how much I liked that watch. But, you feel the steel. I got the Ti version gifted the steel to my son. The lightness of this version makes up for the one (highly arguable) downside of the original.

Watch is inbound.....delivery by Monday

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4579 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Comgrats! I hope you are as pleasantly surprised as I was by the Khuraburi Ti. It is a superb watch. Smile

The only bad thing about titanium is it makes your favorite stainless steel watches suddenly feel too heavy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Ya'll are a bad influence, I swear. All this talk of titanium, and orange... it had an effect. I got the restock notification on this guy this morning, and I wasn't gonna, but then I accidentally searched for coupon codes and found a 15% off. Dropped it $75. How was I gonna say no?

I typically don't like chunky watches. I like them slim and sleek, but I'm going to give this a try. Almost 16mm thick sounds like a monster to me, but oh well. 42mm case, 22mm drilled lugs (I have a whole gallon zip-lock bag full of 22mm NATOs plus Bartons), titanium bracelet with solid milled end links, milled clasp with quick adjust, internal rotating bidirectional bezel, 500m water resist, X1 (triple layer) C3 Superluminova, 3mm domed AR sapphire, Miyota 9015L with hacking and 40hr reserve, and a matte black dial with International Orange hands and chapter ring that fluoresce. If it winds up being too thick for my liking, I'm gonna be a sad panda because every other spec is right on the nose for me.

They had 250 this morning. I snagged one at 31 left. Coupon code "SHOP15" if you're interested. Looks like they still have four of their bronze pilots in stock as well.

https://countycomm.com/collect...-bracelet-by-maratac

I've been wanting a Maratac for a few years now. Their designs are clean, uncluttered, no flash, just pure tool watch. I stupidly passed on a Ti SR-35 in the classifieds here a few years back because it didn't come with the bracelet. I changed my mind and came back to see the seller had dropped it down to $200 and someone snapped it up. That one stung. When they came out with the stainless version of this, I had just committed to buying a Helm and it wasn't in the cards. Then the first run of the titanium version came out about a month ago and I decided to hold off. The time is now.

Anyone want a gently-worn orange dial Orient Ray Raven II? Never took the stickers off the bracelet, just popped the pins and stuck it on a NATO before I even set the time, straight out of the box. Wore it a few days and decided it wasn't for me, and into the watch box it went. Comes complete with that eye-popping Orient/Seiko lume. Wink

Posts: 17131 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... It appears that I angered the Karma Gods.

I had posted a Karma for a Vaer DS4 watch. In preparation for boxing it up for shipping, I put it in the sun for a couple hours yesterday to full charge it up, and when I retrieved it, it was no longer running. Still dead today.

And it's not under warranty, as that only applies to the original owner and I purchased it lightly used.

Any suggestions on things to try to revive it?

I suspect it may have a faulty capacitor or battery, or perhaps being outside in direct sunlight shorted something? At least I found it now, before sending a faulty watch as a Karma.

Seems like I might need to find some alternative watch picks for my Karma.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I had one Seiko solar watch come back to life after sitting in the sun for more than a day. More sun isn’t going to hurt a solar watch. If that doesn’t work it needs a new capacitor or battery. I put a new battery in that watch anyway since it was going to Europe with my uncle and he needed something he could count on for traveling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I pulled the crown out and am going to let it sit in the sun today. Even if that works, I'd be hesitant to send out a watch as a Karma that may be unreliable. If it's dead, so be it, though that doesn't bode well for my other Vaer solar watch...

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Ya'll are a bad influence, I swear. All this talk of titanium, and orange... it had an effect. I got the restock notification on this guy this morning, and I wasn't gonna, but then I accidentally searched for coupon codes and found a 15% off. Dropped it $75. How was I gonna say no?

I typically don't like chunky watches. I like them slim and sleek, but I'm going to give this a try. Almost 16mm thick sounds like a monster to me, but oh well. 42mm case, 22mm drilled lugs (I have a whole gallon zip-lock bag full of 22mm NATOs plus Bartons), titanium bracelet with solid milled end links, milled clasp with quick adjust, internal rotating bidirectional bezel, 500m water resist, X1 (triple layer) C3 Superluminova, 3mm domed AR sapphire, Miyota 9015L with hacking and 40hr reserve, and a matte black dial with International Orange hands and chapter ring that fluoresce. If it winds up being too thick for my liking, I'm gonna be a sad panda because every other spec is right on the nose for me.

They had 250 this morning. I snagged one at 31 left. Coupon code "SHOP15" if you're interested. Looks like they still have four of their bronze pilots in stock as well.

https://countycomm.com/collect...-bracelet-by-maratac

I've been wanting a Maratac for a few years now. Their designs are clean, uncluttered, no flash, just pure tool watch. I stupidly passed on a Ti SR-35 in the classifieds here a few years back because it didn't come with the bracelet. I changed my mind and came back to see the seller had dropped it down to $200 and someone snapped it up. That one stung. When they came out with the stainless version of this, I had just committed to buying a Helm and it wasn't in the cards. Then the first run of the titanium version came out about a month ago and I decided to hold off. The time is now.

Anyone want a gently-worn orange dial Orient Ray Raven II? Never took the stickers off the bracelet, just popped the pins and stuck it on a NATO before I even set the time, straight out of the box. Wore it a few days and decided it wasn't for me, and into the watch box it went. Comes complete with that eye-popping Orient/Seiko lume. Wink

Nice to see Maratac using the Miyota 9000 series movements again. These are my favorite, super ubiquitous (= serviceable) and as far as I can tell, bulletproof. I "stole" a SR-9015 from County Comm a few years ago for $289 and it's awesome.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 872 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Very nice Smudge, nice color contrast on there.

Bummer on the Vaer, Rogue. Hope it revives for you.
My Citizen solar does surprisingly well at staying alive, for being in a windowless room & only getting residual light from the next room.
Just checked it & it's 1 notch off a full charge.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That watch looks a lot like a diver Ball makes. Very nice P220 Smudge!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys, I'm looking forward to this one. Big Grin

That sucks hard about the Vaer. Happy birthday, though. 40, right? I seem to remember you were one of the page or two of us a few years ago who were all 38. Big Grin

I had mine back in April. Didn't do anything special for it, really. Wife was out of town for work and my son and I went to the local greasy spoon and had some burgers and shakes. That was about it.

Posts: 17131 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post