SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Boss1, that’s a neat watch! I like the sterile dial and the beefy tool watch appearance. The Miyota movement it uses is solid. Some people don’t like the unidirectional winding of that movement but I like it’s quirkiness....it sort of reminds me of a Valjoux 7750 with the occasional tendency to spool up and spin quite noticeably on your wrist after it’s rotor has spun too many times in one direction. Smile

They sound like a great company. Now I’ve got another watch I don’t need on my radar. Big Grin Dang it watches are addictive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Test yo watch identification skills. What kind of watch is Stickman getting hella sandy today?

XC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I know what it isn't!

It isn't a shiny new SPB119 Alpinist! Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!!! Congrats VThoky! Wish I could have joined you today at the Seiko event at our local AD. Congrats man! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Stickman! Sorry you missed the event, but it looks like you're having great fun over there.

Our friend there said to tell you hello... and she tempted me with an SRPH11, too. Razz

----------

ETA: I'm guessing that's a Steinhart in the pic above.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vthoky,

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
New watch day! The beater watch gang acquired a new member today.

Yeah.....I got the orange one. Big Grin

This one didn’t set me back much at all. $175 shipped brand new is a small price to pay for a 300m Doxa Sub 300T homage with a Seiko NH35A movement, sapphire crystal and a beads of rice bracelet. It has some opportunities for improvement but overall it’s better than I was expecting.

Whoever engraved the case back might be the same supplier for Glycine case backs as it looks damn similar in design, feel and finish. My first thought was damn it looks and feels VERY similar to the case back on my Glycine combat subs.

The bezel action takes some effort to rotate the bezel but it isn’t terrible and they lumed the wrong part of the bezel I believe but otherwise it’s a great watch for the money. I’m not sure why the part of the bezel that doesn’t move has lume. Is it like that on Doxa? I don’t have a real Doxa to compare it to yet but I have plans to fix that VERY soon. Leaning towards an Aquamaeine 300 or 300T but the orange dial is mighty tempting.

The blue AR coating on the crystal is a nice touch too.

-good communication from the company, I had multiple emails informing me of the progress of my watch as it headed my way
-decent execution for such an inexpensive homage
-Sapphire crystal w/ blue AR
-Applied markers with generous amounts of lume
-Inexpensive price tag
-common, robust Seiko auto movement
-Bracelet adjustment tool provided in the watch case
-signed crown
-nice effort on the case back with a decent overall end result

Dislikes:
-not a strap monster & not easy to put on mesh, it needs curved spring bars to use any bracket other than the oem supplied bracelet. Frown
-I can pry the bezel off with my fingernail
-The bezel doesn’t use a Seiko style click spring but rather a bent piece of metal drilled into a hole for retention/clicking action
-inexpensive bracelet that sticks out and looks odd on my wrist, I would have designed it differently

Behold Watch Dives Tactical Frog in its inexpensive glory. Big Grin

Here’s a shot showing the blue anti reflective coating.

I’m having too much fun with this little homage. Reenacting one of my fav scenes in the movie Sahara. Big Grin Hahahahahahah

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Matching your shirt to your watch now? Razz

God bless America.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post

I think I wore it better. Big Grin. Suzuki factory racing hat > that crap headgear Matthew was wearing. Big Grin

The pink myrtle beach shirt actually matches the orange Tactical Frog Doxa homage better than I was expecting. It almost makes the dial look pink. Hahahahhah

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Test yo watch identification skills. What kind of watch is Stickman getting hella sandy today?

I am thinking some type of Tag.
XC

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
It looks wet and sandy, whatever it is.

Posts: 2770 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Wow. You guys typically figure it out with quickness.

Any more guesses? No cheating and going back and looking at watches I put on black mesh. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Well, thanks to stick, there's a Turtle back in the fold.
Absolutely love this watch. Big Grin

Posts: 12541 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Congrats Snake207! That is such a beautiful watch. One of my absolute favorites. It looks great on your wrist. Cool

Good news guys. My Tactical Frog (jeez that’s an odd name Big Grin) survived a full day of fun at the pool. I can read the watch underwater without any swim goggles. I get why Doxa designed the dial as they did. I would be shocked if watch dives regulates their watches at this price point so I suppose I got lucky to get a NH35A that is keeping exquisite time. 24 hours straight on the wrist during a day full of activities and it’s +7 seconds. It will likely lose a few seconds over the night and be even closer to atomic time. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing a Steinhart. I don't recall you posting a pic of a Seiko with a GMT bezel, or that's what I'd guess. Besides, you've been mentioning Steinhart lately.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Ding ding ding. We have a winner.

It’s a Steinhart Ocean GMT DLC with gorgeous snowflake hands (my personal favorite)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I like. Big Grin

As an aside, I haven’t checked how accurate my Glycine is running in nearly a month. I like the Orient alright, but I’ve let it run dead several times since I got it. Not so with my Glycine. Anyways, I checked it tonight, and it was five seconds slow after more than three weeks. I’m pretty pleased with that result. The last time I remember comparing it to my cell phone, it was about two seconds fast, and before that, it was about a half second slow. Not bad at all.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Been a very long while since I've had this out. Getting ready for high school football season! I like to time the quarters so I can more effectively complain of how long it takes. Particularly once it's bitter cold.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
It's black Samurai day here in the 'hood!

God bless America.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Been a very long while since I've had this out. Getting ready for high school football season! I like to time the quarters so I can more effectively complain of how long it takes. Particularly once it's bitter cold.

Is that your retro-movement Speedy? Very nice.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

Marine Master?

I am thinking some type of Tag.
XC

Posts: 2873 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post