SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
My Zelos HH 3 lasts all night after a short charge with my tac flashlight.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The Zelos Horizons full lume is unreadable in the early morning hours after a previous supercharge from my 800 lumens flashlight. The problem is the hands and dial are lumed with different color lume and as they both fade neither helps the other to be easy to read.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Question about watch service.

How would I go about finding out whether a crown tube and crown on a 2006 mfg Doxa Sub 750T can be replaced? Who is the expert or at least a VERY reputable watchmaker/watch repair shop that can repair parts on a Doxa besides Doxa?

I am awaiting an answer on this subject from Doxa but in the event I receive bad news I want to have a second option should I pull the trigger on a watch I am considering.

Thank you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Stay away from Watch Repairs USA.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Because I am in for a long wait for my Helm Komodo (at last check I was #1950 on the list), and I already have a decent white face diver, a black face diver, two solar/atomic watches and a Seiko automatic. , it was time for BLUE.

Heaviest watch I've ever held.

Very nice. My Master1000 does not have a display case back. Frown

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:

Very nice. My Master1000 does not have a display case back. Frown

Yeah, but we have the ULTRA important Helium Release Valve for when we are doing Saturation Dives!

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
So far good communication with Doxa! It’s looking promising. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Stickman428, I have cause to post! Smile

Here is the extremely nice Orient Kanno gifted to me by Stickman428. It's stunning in person. It's my very first automatic and I'm very excited to enter this new world. I don't hear ticking but I can hear something moving inside as I gently shake it and give it life. New sensation for me.

I love the color and the much better contrast and readability. I had difficulty finding the minute hand of my current watch, especially under certain lighting conditions. The face is too busy and the minute hand gets lost for some reason, especially when there is glare reflecting off the crystal. The Orient is readable even with the glare.

Here's the outgoing time (watch is starting to fail, the 'local time' dial no longer moves) and the incoming time.

Stickman - again, thank you very much!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: konata88,

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Stick... is The Man. Nice job, gents. Cool

- - - - -

And now, for something way different:

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Cool! You must have deep pockets. Smile

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky: And now, for something way different:

I love it!

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Brian. Smile

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Cool story: the last time I rode my Yamaha R1 was on expired plates...yeah I’m a doofus. Big Grin I had that Orient on my wrist at the time, I think I had it on a black mesh bracelet back then. I’ll see if I can find an old pic. I caught a light and as luck would have it a police cruiser rolled up behind me. When the light changed he lit up his lights and pulled me over.

I was apologetic and fully expected to get a ticket. Not too long after being pulled, maybe 3-4 minutes or less a 2nd police cruiser rolled up. As luck would have it the back up officer was a rider. We talked for a few minutes while the officer who pulled me over sat in his car likely looking for warrants etc. I spent that time pointing out all the stuff I fixed on the bike and how I found it sitting in the back of my friends shed in Portsmouth Virginia collecting dust. The Yamaha had punted its previous rider off mightily near Williamsburg Virginia and my friend acquired it in a trade. Lovingly I pieced the bike back together and talked to the 2nd officer about it for a bit. The two officers talked a bit and then the officer who pulled me over said “get it inspected man” and rolled off. No ticket!

That’s a lucky watch Konata88. Cool I hope it brings you similar good fortune.

Welcome to the addictive, alluring and amazing world of automatic mechanical watches.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Thank you, Brian. Smile

You're welcome. I like that it has the look of something John Harrison might have created, yet with the precision of a Seiko quartz movement. And you have it displayed nicely in that cabinet, so it functions equally well as a mantle clock.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I've considered selling it, but I haven't really put much thought into it.

I don't carry it -- heck, it hasn't been out of the house in more than 10 years -- but I do like the looks of it there in its case. Thank you, Brian, for the mantle clock suggestion -- it's been here on my bookcase for a while, but I think it would look good next to the old Waterbury.

God bless America.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Stickman, the watch being on my wrist already shows that I’m fortunate. Smile

Cool story and interesting as I’ve been approved to get my first bike if I so choose.

Vthoky: when I first saw your framed pocket watch, it brought back memories of a grandfather clock I used to have. I was thinking it might be cool to have that watch sit on top of a mini grandfather clock like frame maybe with the chain hanging down like the chained weights of a grandfather clock.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^

Ooh, nice!

Perhaps next I should post a pic of my grandfather clock -- actually belonged to my grandparents and still smells like their house. Cool

God bless America.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
While I always have been and will continue to be a fan of mechanical tool watches, be they chronographs (Lemania 5100 powered being my favorite of the breed), Divers, or GMTs, I will admit to having a soft spot for a few very simple clean pieces such as this inexpensive quartz Casio Edifice EFV-100L-7AVUEF.

Many have commented elsewhere that this model bears a resemblance to the Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra with its white face, orange second hand and lettering.

Shown on a Seal MN parachute strap. From the factory it came on a light tan leather strap like the Omega pictured here.

Hard to capture but the second hand indexes perfectly on the minute markers, too often a bugaboo with quartz watches.

As an aside I had to source this particular white dial version in Europe in November 2019 as it wasn't available stateside.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Konata88, nice Orient timepiece wear it in good health. Stickman428, very generous of you. I am sure you gave it a good new home too. Nice Job !!!!!!!

Posts: 2862 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Aquamarine is such a cool color for a watch dial.

An orange dial Doxa Sub 300T is in my future but as far as aquamarine the Maranez Samui might have saved me a ton of money.

This review motivated me to get one.
Excellent review of the Maranez Samui

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~