SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
I too am at the dozen+ stage...have several inexpensive watches that I should probably just let go...buuuuuttttt I do have to get out of the office frequently and whatever I'm wearing could take hard hit in the field...sooooo I keep around a couple good, but inexpensive 'beaters' just for that purpose.

I think I have most of the 'tool/outdoor watches' covered - G Shock, Tough Solar Casio, Reactor Trident II (underrated watch for the $$), Victorinox INOX (probably about as tough as a watch can be made, particularly sans bezel), Pro trek, Suunto, Garmin, etc.

As such, I'm starting to look to getting 'a' (meaning single) 'luxury' category watch. Rolex? Nope...prices are insane, beyond my reach, and well, they just don't 'do it' for me (tho I like the Explorer)...and there's only about a bajillion 'homages' out there...

So I'm starting to set aside a few bucks for either a pre-owned Omega Seamaster Quartz (first choice) or perhaps something from Ball (alot of watch for the $$ and like the Tritium). Chris Ward also makes some awful nice watches as well...

The only really other 'I'd like to get' (at the moment) is either Marathon JSAR or a nice Tag Heuer.

'Time will tell' Wink

Have a great Labor Day all!

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I thought I'd do something artsy with my Hamilton railroad grade.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Great picture, Mars!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38657 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Awesome pic!

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Great pic

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
After I pick up my target watch I was planning on a Hamilton day, date, automatic for my dress watch. I've noticed Hamilton prices on Jomashop have recently shot up. That model was 595 if memory serves. Now its almost a grand. Checked Macy's site and it's about the same price. Anybody know why?

Posts: 7522 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Prices on everything have gone nuts. Personally, I think the watch enthusiast market has greatly expanded since last March.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
After I pick up my target watch I was planning on a Hamilton day, date, automatic for my dress watch. I've noticed Hamilton prices on Jomashop have recently shot up. That model was 595 if memory serves. Now its almost a grand. Checked Macy's site and it's about the same price. Anybody know why?

Wow, you’re right! I bought this watch in January from Ashford for $377 out the door (it was on sale). Just checked Ashford and they’re out of stock, but Jomashop has a Labor Day sale and they’re going for $805! I was considering getting one of the Jack Ryan chronographs, I'll have to check and see if they've gone nuts too.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1308 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Just checked Jomashop. The Jack Ryan Khaki Chronograph is going for 1,615. Frankly, a Ball is back in contention for my dress watch if I have to pay that much.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
WHAT!? I remember that watch costing closer to $1100. Jomashop went back up to the dang retail price. For that much it’s better to visit the AD and negotiate. Dang.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Itching for a Nomos. Over the years, I've owned over 60 "legit" watches. How is it possible I've avoided Nomos this long? I've decided that I love wearing watches on a NATO. Comfort, carefree, flexible, inexpensive. And I've decided that MAYBE a NATO will work with a suit, if I really am deliberate about the watch chosen. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting it to work perfectly, but it would be no more out of place than a 41mm Submariner with a ceramic bezel.

So. 35mm Nomos on a thin 18mm single pass NATO with a color coordinated NATO? I'm thinking the long lugs will ease the transition, and center the watch nicely.

So. Who's got a 35mm Nomos out there? Show me some NATO if you dare. Smile

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Itching for a Nomos. Over the years, I've owned over 60 "legit" watches. How is it possible I've avoided Nomos this long? I've decided that I love wearing watches on a NATO. Comfort, carefree, flexible, inexpensive. And I've decided that MAYBE a NATO will work with a suit, if I really am deliberate about the watch chosen. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting it to work perfectly, but it would be no more out of place than a 41mm Submariner with a ceramic bezel.

So. 35mm Nomos on a thin 18mm single pass NATO with a color coordinated NATO? I'm thinking the long lugs will ease the transition, and center the watch nicely.

So. Who's got a 35mm Nomos out there? Show me some NATO if you dare. Smile

I really like the Tangente and how the numerals array around the watch.

Also, I've always felt if Bond did it, then it works.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Well.... A watch forum pal of mine had two for sale, and I couldn't decide which I wanted. So ... you know...

Incoming²

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
The emperor got new clothes.... Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12714 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Niiiiiice! I think it looks great. I’ve had good luck with strapcode’s DLC watch bracelets and clasps. I’ve scratched my clasp up but not to the point that any shiny steel is showing.

That watch looks incredible on a black mesh bracelet too. I thought I had pics but I cannot find them among the 35,000+ pics on my phone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I wasn't expecting the black. It's very nice!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38657 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Excellent color combo.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Crystal Times has titanium SKX cases back in stock! I have one heading my way. Big Grin

I am thinking one of my SKX011 watches is going to get a subtle makeover that corrects a few ehh stylistic areas of opportunity. I love orange dial watches but the gold and orange of the SKX011 always seemed a bit odd to me.

My first titanium case watch is going to look similar to this. The changes are minor but I think really improve its overall appearance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
That looks sharp!

I'd like to find a titanium Samurai case.

God bless America.

Posts: 13487 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post