SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
China has Venus movements that rival the Swiss now.

Check out the ST19 and the ST1940

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
Charging the Aqualand today.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Omega: (crowns out to stop position)
18k/Steel Seamaster on B&R Bands Chicago Tan Horween Leather
Omegamatic on Hirsch PURE Natural Rubber strap
Victorinox, Omega watch knife
The smaller blade on the Victorinox is for popping open case backs, which is useless with these two "modern" Omega screw-on backs, but whatever. There's a toothpick and tweezers in there too.

Took photo last night of watches and then realized a few minutes ago I should probably show the smaller blade on the pocket knife for those interested.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Looks like my fixed blade watch knife.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
THE REST OF THE STORY:

I've had a half dozen or so Omega watches over the years and the two above are the only ones I have left.

The 18k/Steel Seamaster on the left above is around a 1985 release. The luminosity had become quite dim and the watch needed maintenance and repair, so I sent it back to Omega. They stated they didn't reapply luminous material to hands and face. Rather, they could update the face and hands to a more current release for which they still have parts in stock. I chose to update the watch but in hindsight, I have regrets. Not because it isn't now original. That was never a concern. It's a user, not an investment or queen. I regret the upgrade because the face and hands are no easier to see at night for these old eyes and I just plain liked the look of the watch before the face and hands were swapped out. They did return the parts replaced, so I could swap it back out but will not likely bother. I'll just keep using it as is. Picture Omega took of the watch when they received it ...

The Omegamatic on the right in the pic above was only made by Omega from 1997-2000. It's an auto-quartz. Originally it came with a replaceable Renata GC920 capacitor. After about 10 years, the capacitor degraded to the point that it wouldn't hold a reliable charge. I upgraded to a Panasonic MT920 replaceable rechargeable lithium battery and it's again a joy to use. The lithium battery useful life is unknown but should be double or longer, than the original capacitor.

The Seamaster has a sweep second hand. The Omegamatic hand moves each second.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
This watch I have no trouble seeing under any conditions. Not sure why the sapphire crystal came out cloudy looking. Maybe the coating or something.

Ollech & Wajs Cougar. Steel with bead-blasted finish. ETA 2824-2 – Swiss made 25-jewel automatic movement. Pressure tested 20 ATM. I have this watch timed on my Microset Precision Timer to gain less than a second a day. All this in an auto for less than $500. Win !!! Depending on occasion, I usually wear this watch before any of my others, including my other O & W. It just runs nice and I can see it well at all times.

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs: Ollech & Wajs Cougar. Steel with bead-blasted finish.

Is the bracelet a different color than the case, or is that just a photo artifact?

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs: Ollech & Wajs Cougar. Steel with bead-blasted finish.

Is the bracelet a different color than the case, or is that just a photo artifact?

The bead-blasted finish is uniform throughout the entire watch. Just a photo artifact. I love the finish, as minor scratches from use will easily touch up and disappear with just a few light strokes of a "green meany" pad.

EDIT: Here's a MUCH better pic from WestCoastTime. It's a pic of a new watch and mine is about 15 or 16 or so years old now ...

EDIT EDIT (sorry): And one more of mine taken just now in natural evening light to (hopefully) show the color is uniform. My camera prolly isn't as good as the one WestCoastTime uses though. BUT I'd say the (dull bead-blasted) color is closer in this pic to the actual live look. The pic might be just a shade darker than it actually is because it's sitting on a concrete table top that is actually a little lighter and evening light is fading. ... Shoot, I guess the color tone is somewhere about halfway between his pic and mine LOL, but the color of the watch is uniform throughout ...

MORE INFO: Case is 39.5mm x 12mm to top of slight doomed crystal. The bezel only turns in one direction. Crown is screw-down. Watch links are screwed together and band is easily adjusted with jewelers screwdrivers. Double lock on the bracelet clasp and the clasp has a deployment feature to rapidly adjust size to accommodate a wet suit sleeve. Sounds cumbersome, but the bracelet is just normal size. Oh, and 20mm between the lugs. All in all, I rate this an excellent weekend warrior watch and quality and features can't be beat in an automatic at the price of this one IMO. If I wanted to be really nitpicky, I might say the outside numbers and markers (10..20..to 50) on the bezel could be hard to read in some conditions since there is no black/white contrast on the bezel. I've never had an issue with it but can see where in some extreme condition, they might be hard to see. In fact, I very much like that this watch doesn't have a black/white bezel although I do have an O & W (different model) that does. I also like this one doesn't have a cyclops in the crystal over the date. Doesn't need it.

Last thing I can think of to say about this watch right now, is that the little red military numbers on the inner face might be hard to read, but after using nothing but military time for 20 years ... I get it LOL. The little numbers for me, just add a classy touch of color to the face.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hobbs,

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
My newest addition, a Tissot T Navigator Automatic. At $219.00 delivered I couldn’t say no.

And the rest of the humble family. L-R: Tag Heuer Carrera Automatic, Fortis B-42 Official Cosmonaut Automatic, Alpina Seastrong 300 Diver Automatic.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Those are NICE!!!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ScubaSig
posted Hide Post
That ETA 2824-2 movement is very well made and robust movement, Steinhart uses it on the Ocean One Series.

Posts: 723 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Super nice watch ScubaSig !!! Like

d.freemont Ancyent Marinere Series. Of the three watches, 900 combined total were made. This box set is only 1 of 20 ever made available. Watches with a literary soul, featured here are the Original, the Panama, and the Voyager. Designed around the Samuel Taylor Coleridge poem, “The Rhyme of the Ancyent Marinere” 1798.

Original (left): The Ancyent Marinere features a 38 mm all stainless case with engine turned bezel treatment. This numbered production watch is serial inscribed on the edge of the case at the 9 o'clock position. The movement is the hi-grade ETA 2824, 25 jewel quick date automatic. The crystals both front and back are of heavy Sapphire to withstand extreme pressure. This piece utilizes bellows type gaskets to minimize air exchange ( breathing of the case ) - it is fitted with a screw-down crown and back.

The Ancyent Marinere is named after the poem, "The Rime of the Ancyent Marinere", wherein the famous quote, "Water, water, everywhere and not a drop to drink" originated. Inscribed inside the back Sapphire glass is a similar quote Water, water, everywhere and not a drop to leak"... appears. Also inscribed on the back bezel is the reference number 05N/95W - the designer's interpretation of the location of the doldrums ( calm sea and wind ) where the Marinere's ship disaster occurred.

The numerals are a black green color like the South Atlantic waters. The albatross is placed on one o’clock near the aspect of the sextant reading for the equator. The deadly doldrums of the sea drama alludes to a location near the Galapagos Islands, “05N/95W” which is the watch’s reference number on the back bezel. The turbulent waters are illustrated by the etching on the front bezel.

The Panama (center): This watch has many similar features to the original Ancyent Marinere. The Ancyent Marinere is a famous literary work by Samuel Coleridge, written in 1798. The story recounts the strange voyage that takes the crew through some rough water and psychological battles. The only remaining crew member, the "Ancyent Marinere,” then devotes his life to righting and enlightening others about the lessons of life.

The Panama features an ETA 2824, 25 jewel automatic movement - screw on bezel, shock protected, water resistant to 5 ATM, Sapphire Crystal.

The Panama is a continuation of the tale which has a climax at Panama... 9N/82W (reference # and coordinates). The Marinere continues his message, be kind to man, beast and bird alike, "Nothing is as Noble as Kindness" - This is engraved on the back of the watch around the exhibition window.

Voyager (right): The Voyager is the last in the series, and prophetically the most important. Considered as the apex of the message - Be kind to man, bird and beast alike...a living voyage when man's faith and superstitions are tested. The Ancyent Marinere kills the Albatross, caused by the crews' confusion over the superstitious presence of the Bird. Later the crew swings their opinion, hanging the Albatross around the Marinere's neck. The Marinere finds himself the only one left as death has overcome the ship and its crew... "water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink...like a painted ship upon a painted ocean" a monologue of despair.

The watch designer feels that it is appropriate to place the Voyager at the climax co-ordinates, 09N82W, since this represents the physical and spiritual placement. The Voyager's balance wheel reminds us to search the depths of our own soul. The dial color was chosen to replicate the overcast burning sun of the Pacific doldrums.

Voyager features the ETA 2824 Elaboree, highly decorated, 25 jewel automatic movement - shock protected, water resistant to 5 ATM, Sapphire Crystals, 37mm diameter and 9.5 mm thick ... exhibition back.

EDIT: This book was also sent along with the box set from d.freemont.
It wasn't said to be a part of the set and I was surprised and delighted that d.freemont sent it.

Picture of ScubaSig
posted Hide Post
There are some very nice time pieces being displayed here! That's a beautiful set there Hobbs!

Posts: 723 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
This watch I have no trouble seeing under any conditions. Not sure why the sapphire crystal came out cloudy looking. Maybe the coating or something.

Ollech & Wajs Cougar. Steel with bead-blasted finish. ETA 2824-2 – Swiss made 25-jewel automatic movement. Pressure tested 20 ATM. I have this watch timed on my Microset Precision Timer to gain less than a second a day. All this in an auto for less than $500. Win !!! Depending on occasion, I usually wear this watch before any of my others, including my other O & W. It just runs nice and I can see it well at all times.

O&W makes some damn fine watches. Their "Aviation" line was excellent. I had their Mirage IIIC chrono for a while, but it was just too small for my wrist.

That Cougar is a great dive watch.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Thanks ScubaSig. You are too kind, sir

Casio Lineage for when I require absolute accuracy down to the second at all times ... which is rare I guess LOL.

Solar powered, radio controlled, sapphire crystal, lightweight titanium case and band. Shown here on an aftermarket Marathon strap. This one (LCW-M170TD-1AER) is from the European market. The American market version has a 1AJF designation. There is no actual difference that I'm aware of but don't have one to compare it to. The product descriptions differ slightly but I think material and features are the same. OH ... and my GOSH @ the instruction booklet. Shoot. The English instructions are only the thin part sticking out. The rest of the "booklet" is gibberish to me ... HA. This watch is VERY thin for a Casio WaveCeptor, only 9.2mm thick and the titanium composition make this watch VERY lightweight. I honestly forget I'm wearing it sometimes and find myself looking at a wall clock for time rather than my wrist. DOH

Technical Specifications

LED light
A light-emitting diode (LED) is used to illuminate the watch face.
Solar Power
A solar cell provides power for operation.
Radio signal reception (EU, USA, Japan, China)
Whether in Europe, North America and Japan or in the outer reaches of Canada, Central America and China - once the watch has been set to the local time, it receives the relevant signal and shows the correct time wherever you are. In many countries, it also sets itself automatically to summer and winter time.
Neo-display
A luminous coating provides long-term illumination in the dark after only a short exposure to light.
World time function
Displays the current time in major cities and specific areas around the world.
Stopwatch function - 1/100 sec. - 1 hour
Elapsed time, split time and final time are measured with 1/100-sec accuracy. The watch can measure times of up to 1 hour.
Timer - 1/1 min. - 100 min.
The countdown timer emits a signal after a preset period of time has elapsed. The watch has a maximum timing capacity of 100 minutes and can be set in minute-long cycles.
5 daily alarms
The daily alarm reminds you about recurring events with an acoustic signal at the time you have set. This model has 5 independent alarms for flexible reminders of important appointments.
Button tones on/off
The button tones for using the mode button can be turned off. This means that the watch no longer beeps when switching from one function to another. Preset alarm or countdown timers remain active when the button tones are deactivated.
Multi-language
The name of the day can be displayed in different languages.
Automatic calendar with Date, Day and Month
Once set, the automatic calendar always displays the correct date.
12/24-hour timekeeping
Times can be displayed in either a 12-hour or 24-hour format.
Sapphire crystal
Artificially manufactured glass with the hightest hardness and scratch resistance
Solid titanium case
The solid titanium housing is particularly impressive in its design; it is corrosion resistant and its skin-friendly qualities make it suitable for those with allergies.
Solid titanium band
Stylish look and lightweight properties set titanium apart. The high-quality material is resistant to corrosion and is gentle on the skin, making it ideal for allergy sufferers.
Safety Catch
Always reliable: This watch has a particularly secure safety catch, which helps prevent the strap from opening by mistake.
Battery level indicator
An indicator shows the current battery level.
Water resistance classification (5 bar)
This watch can be worn when showering and bathing - it is tested for water resistance up to 5 bar according to ISO 22810.
Dimensions (H x W x D)
46,4mm x 39,5mm x 9,2mm
Weight
approx. 80,0 g

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

VERY nice rduckwor !!!

I've had a bunch of Ollech and Wajs models over the years. Their original Vietnam era watch was the only one I found to be too small. Sadly, the Cougar I posted and this non-date model below are the only two O & W watches I have at the moment.

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
The only other watches I have besides those already posted, well, only other except for a plastic digital timex I only used to wear when doing Navy PRT and stored somewhere, are these. Seiko 5 and Bulova Accutron. I think that's all of them LOL. I have the steel bracelet for the Accutron and may order a leather strap when if ever I get around to it.

EDIT: Oops ... forgot about the "junk drawer". Watches that work or may need a battery and have just fallen into disuse.
... and a travel alarm in there. Kennedy pocket watches picked up from ship's store when stationed aboard USS JFK CV67

Picture of ScubaSig
posted Hide Post
Today a Luminox P-38 Lightning with the Valjoux 7750 movement Smile

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Hobbs: That Accutron is very nice!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Hobbs: That Accutron is very nice!

RMD

Thanks RMD !!! I hardly wear a watch anymore since retirement. I dig them out once or twice a year and fiddle with them. I generally just keep the O&W Cougar, Casio Lineage and the Omega's handy for the rare occasion I need to wear one. There's two LaCrosse radio controlled clocks hanging on the walls and a couple other clocks here and there, so I'm never "lost in time" LOL ... much