SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Same Samurai, new navy blue Barton canvas band. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
New watch day! The beater watch gang acquired a new member today.

Yeah.....I got the orange one. Big Grin

This one didn’t set me back much at all. $175 shipped brand new is a small price to pay for a 300m Doxa Sub 300T homage with a Seiko NH35A movement, sapphire crystal and a beads of rice bracelet. It has some opportunities for improvement but overall it’s better than I was expecting.

Whoever engraved the case back might be the same supplier for Glycine case backs as it looks damn similar in design, feel and finish. My first thought was damn it looks and feels VERY similar to the case back on my Glycine combat subs.

The bezel action takes some effort to rotate the bezel but it isn’t terrible and they lumed the wrong part of the bezel I believe but otherwise it’s a great watch for the money. I’m not sure why the part of the bezel that doesn’t move has lume. Is it like that on Doxa? I don’t have a real Doxa to compare it to yet but I have plans to fix that VERY soon. Leaning towards an Aquamaeine 300 or 300T but the orange dial is mighty tempting.

The blue AR coating on the crystal is a nice touch too.

-good communication from the company, I had multiple emails informing me of the progress of my watch as it headed my way
-decent execution for such an inexpensive homage
-Sapphire crystal w/ blue AR
-Applied markers with generous amounts of lume
-Inexpensive price tag
-common, robust Seiko auto movement
-Bracelet adjustment tool provided in the watch case
-signed crown
-nice effort on the case back with a decent overall end result

Dislikes:
-not a strap monster & not easy to put on mesh, it needs curved spring bars to use any bracket other than the oem supplied bracelet. Frown
-I can pry the bezel off with my fingernail
-The bezel doesn’t use a Seiko style click spring but rather a bent piece of metal drilled into a hole for retention/clicking action
-inexpensive bracelet that sticks out and looks odd on my wrist, I would have designed it differently

Behold Watch Dives Tactical Frog in its inexpensive glory. Big Grin

Here’s a shot showing the blue anti reflective coating.

I’m having too much fun with this little homage. Reenacting one of my fav scenes in the movie Sahara. Big Grin Hahahahahahah

https://www.doxa300t.com/froggy/froggy.htm

Stickman here is a review by Dr. Pete who has wrote several books on Doxa. This write up compares the tactical frog. Thinking of getting one for my daughter. Hray

https://www.doxa300t.com/froggy/froggy.htm

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1141 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Hray, Thank you for linking that. Dr. Pete’s review was fantastic. I really like his review, it seemed fair and quite detailed.

I agree with Dr. Pete on the bezel. The profile of the tactical frog bezel is pretty neat and works brilliantly with the crystal they selected. I loved that there were aspects of the $175 watch that he actually liked more than the $2000 Doxa. I loved seeing the pics of a tactical frog with its movement, case back and crown removed. A triple seal crown! It looks like watch dives actually built a solid little beater watch that might actually handle 200m under water.

His review has left me wanting a real deal Doxa even more. Smile

I HIGHLY recommend getting a tactical frog for your daughter. For the money it is a fantastic deal and affords a tremendous amount of bang for your buck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Is that your retro-movement Speedy? Very nice.

It's a cal 863. Kind of a rare bird in total, because it has the hesalite front and sapphire rear. Probably my favorite variant to be honest. Circa 1994.

Posts: 11386 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That is so beautiful rOgue. Modern art at its finest right there. I truly believe Omega makes some of the absolute best looking movements for the money.

I love the white hands on that speedy. I’m a sucker for a black dial with white hands. I love how they look.

VThoky, that samurai looks great on a NATO strap. Next time I see you I’ve got a bracelet for you to try out on that baby. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is so beautiful rOgue. Modern art at its finest right there. I truly believe Omega makes some of the absolute best looking movements for the money.

I love the white hands on that speedy. I’m a sucker for a black dial with white hands. I love how they look.

VThoky, that samurai looks great on a NATO strap. Next time I see you I’ve got a bracelet for you to try out on that baby. Cool

Thanks! I feel the same re: white on black (or vice versa as my Polar ExpII has).

Re: the Tactical Frog. I'm a fan! I might have to try one of those.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Don’t do it rOgue! It made me begin researching Doxa heavily and decide that my next nice watch will be a Doxa 300T. Cool The tactical frog watch is amazing! Dollar for dollar it’s maybe my best watch purchase ever when you consider what you get for what you pay for. I was worried I wouldn’t like the case shape but it’s actually surprisingly comfortable on the wrist. I haven’t stopped wearing it since I got it. Big Grin

A YouTuber WR4K mentioned the coupon code “WR4K” which will knock $15 USD off that already crazy low price. I of course discovered this code about 20 minutes AFTER I had placed my order. Oh well. I might buy an aquamarine and yellow version too. For the prices they are going on eBay I could make about $50-65+ easily should I decide to sell one of them. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I've been eyeing Doxa for years. Should just do it.

What website have we bought Tactical Frog from? Seems no definitive source?

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
rOgue, I bought mine from watchdives Link to Tactical Frog and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another from them (I probably will actually).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m a sucker for a black dial with white hands. I love how they look.

I think I am, too... I noticed last weekend that most of mine are black-face-white-hands.

quote:

Thank you!

That NATO was a gift from our own David Truong, and has found its way onto several watches here.

I'm loving the Barton I put on the black Sam yesterday. [Aside from their being Chinese-made] I can see me picking up several of those. The quick-release spring bar is a great thing.

For what it's worth... today is SKX day. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Hello all,
Shout out to Strapcode!!!! I purchased another Super Engineer for my orange Monster 1st. gen. On Monday the 23rd. coming from Hong Kong. Got here Wednesday the 26th. I am completely and totally impressed. This is Strapcode # 5. If I am purchasing leather straps I only use Hirsch ..... metal only Strapcode. Thanks for turning me on to these supplier's. John

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pickle Rick,

Posts: 2876 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yeah man. Strapcode is legit. In my many interactions with them I have always experienced surprisingly fast shipping. I really like their watch bracelets, especially their 22mm Winghead Shark mesh bracelet. I LOVE the many different types of 20mm & 22mm clasps they sell individually. I especially like their DLC/PVD Hidden Deployant Clasp (Butterfly Clasp) when it is paired with a DLC/PVD shark mesh bracelet (from a different manufacturer) that has flat mesh on the outside.

I suppose you know your into watches deep when you begin customizing and assembling bracelets with components from different manufacturers. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah man. Strapcode is legit. In my many interactions with them I have always experienced surprisingly fast shipping. I really like their watch bracelets, especially their 22mm Winghead Shark mesh bracelet. I LOVE the many different types of 20mm & 22mm clasps they sell individually. I especially like their DLC/PVD Hidden Deployant Clasp (Butterfly Clasp) when it is paired with a DLC/PVD shark mesh bracelet (from a different manufacturer) that has flat mesh on the outside.

I suppose you know your into watches deep when you begin customizing and assembling bracelets with components from different manufacturers. Smile

LOL . My next task is to try my shaking hands on AR/Sapphire crystals. When you change out the crystals is the water resistance maintained? Thanks, John

Posts: 2876 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

That is flat-out gorgeous. Omega make the prettiest movements.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It truly is a remarkable machine!

r0gue - Do you know about how many individual parts there are in that watch?

Posts: 3476 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Pickle Rick, as long as you get the crystal pressed in evenly and the gasket is properly seated you will be fine. You should be able to look at the crystal and gasket and see if there are any issues. Some people recommend you buy a new crystal gasket but I’ve seen people reuse the old gasket and not have any water intrusion issues. Personally, I would recommend using a new gasket since they are inexpensive. I’ve seen some guys do crystal upgrades on the YouTube with the most basic of tools and it didn’t look hard at all. Quality tools will of course make pressing in a crystal easier.

I just ordered a bunch of components for a few custom builds. I’ll soon be trying my hand at installing a sapphire crystal to replace a scratched hardlex on one of my turtles. I have an inexpensive crystal press that came with a very basic watchmaking kit. The crystal press also works great for installing bezels. I’ll let you know how it goes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pickle Rick, as long as you get the crystal pressed in evenly and the gasket is properly seated you will be fine. You should be able to look at the crystal and gasket and see if there are any issues. Some people recommend you buy a new crystal gasket but I’ve seen people reuse the old gasket and not have any water intrusion issues. Personally, I would recommend using a new gasket since they are inexpensive. I’ve seen some guys do crystal upgrades on the YouTube with the most basic of tools and it didn’t look hard at all. Quality tools will of course make pressing in a crystal easier.

I just ordered a bunch of components for a few custom builds. I’ll soon be trying my hand at installing a sapphire crystal to replace a scratched hardlex on one of my turtles. I have an inexpensive crystal press that came with a very basic watchmaking kit. The crystal press also works great for installing bezels. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Please do. I know the mods don't really add value to the watch but the compliments certainly do. Everywhere I go it never fails. Nice watch, cool watch or I bet that set you back a pretty penny. Makes me feel good for a good 60 y.o. Thank you Stickman 428.

Any good sources for tools, parts of decent quality? Thank you for allowing me to pick your brain.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Pickle Rick,

Good news is that Seiko watches are hands down the most supported watches on earth for aftermarket/ modding. The sky is basically the limit with Seiko. This along with the bang for buck is why I love the Seiko brand. Non watch people sometimes scoff at Seiko but the mods often fly under the radar and are hard to identify, this only makes them more fun. It’s neat when someone asks you about a watch and you tell them you built it from two watches and some aftermarket parts. Conversations like that usually leads to a bunch of questions. Smile

If you want a one of the best cases or crystals or case backs I would go with Crystal Times. They are practically a one stop shop if they have the stuff that suits your fancy as far as style/aesthetics. Crystal Times

I ordered a bunch of watch hands, hand instillation tools, chapter rings, gaskets, a bezel, bezel insert and a sapphire crystal with blue anti reflective coating from Namoki mods. Link to Namoki They had everything I needed and were a one stop shop for my specific builds... I should also mention they didn’t tempt me nearly as much to scoop up a few extra cases, display case backs and start more projects as CT (Crystal Times) would have. My next builds after the current builds are finished will be sourcing parts from Crystal Times, Namoki, and Yobokies. Link to Yobokies There are lots of great suppliers, it really will come down to who has what you want in stock, and who has the specific dial, case or aesthetic look you are going for as many of the aftermarket suppliers have unique parts. This is what makes the mod world so fun. As I find more suppliers I like I will pass the info along as well as updates on my builds.

I have a really cool build that will be done soon. It’s drawing from Doxa’s super cool style, Seiko’s iconic turtle and an OEM Seiko ice blue dial that is damn hard to find. It’s going to look a bit like a Doxa Sub 300T Searambler mixed with a Doxa Sub300T Aquamarine and an older (now discontinued) Seiko 5 as well as the Seiko SRP Turtle. Some would consider modding rare watches to be sacrilegious but to me that is how you build the most unique mods.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pickle Rick,

Good news is that Seiko watches are hands down the most supported watches on earth for aftermarket/ modding. The sky is basically the limit with Seiko. This along with the bang for buck is why I love the Seiko brand. Non watch people sometimes scoff at Seiko but the mods often fly under the radar and are hard to identify, this only makes them more fun. It’s neat when someone asks you about a watch and you tell them you built it from two watches and some aftermarket parts. Conversations like that usually leads to a bunch of questions. Smile

If you want a one of the best cases or crystals or case backs I would go with Crystal Times. They are practically a one stop shop if they have the stuff that suits your fancy as far as style/aesthetics. Crystal Times

I ordered a bunch of watch hands, hand instillation tools, chapter rings, gaskets, a bezel, bezel insert and a sapphire crystal with blue anti reflective coating from Namoki mods. Link to Namoki They had everything I needed and were a one stop shop for my specific builds... I should also mention they didn’t tempt me nearly as much to scoop up a few extra cases, display case backs and start more projects as CT (Crystal Times) would have. My next builds after the current builds are finished will be sourcing parts from Crystal Times, Namoki, and Yobokies. Link to Yobokies There are lots of great suppliers, it really will come down to who has what you want in stock, and who has the specific dial, case or aesthetic look you are going for as many of the aftermarket suppliers have unique parts. This is what makes the mod world so fun. As I find more suppliers I like I will pass the info along as well as updates on my builds.

I have a really cool build that will be done soon. It’s drawing from Doxa’s super cool style, Seiko’s iconic turtle and an OEM Seiko ice blue dial that is damn hard to find. It’s going to look a bit like a Doxa Sub 300T Searambler mixed with a Doxa Sub300T Aquamarine and an older (now discontinued) Seiko 5 as well as the Seiko SRP Turtle. Some would consider modding rare watches to be sacrilegious but to me that is how you build the most unique mods.

You are a wealth of info. I couldn't be any newer at this and in LOVE with the concept of making something mine really mine. May I impose upon you to help gain the knowledge I can't source online? I hate to be an imposition. Many thanks in advance, John.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Hey John, no worries, it’s not an imposition at all. I will certainly assist as much as I am able. Smile I love watches and all things watch related. To me mods and building your own customized watch is my favorite part of the highly addictive watch world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~