SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
bald1, that Casio is a beauty! Agree with the simple, but noticeable features.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yeah definitely. That Casio shares a ton of style cues with the Omega. There are enough slight variations to say it’s not a copy but for sure it’s quite similar from an aesthetic perspective. It’s a sharp looking watch!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
This maybe be a newbie mistake. I woke up during the night and decided to test the luminosity of the Orient. I applied a 300 lumen flashlight for 10 seconds. Big mistake. The watch was so bright the whole room was lit up. I couldn’t sleep. I had to bury under pillows to darken the room again. Love this watch!

But I’ll need to be careful when going to the theater (orchestra, musical, acting; not movie but there as well). I usually flash my watch just before the show starts. I think that would annoy the theater. I’ll need to remember to flash the Orient ahead of time.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Seiko & Orient’s lume game is the best. Better in fact than Rolex (this is one category where they spank most luxury brands) Cool

The only watches brighter than Seiko & Orient are Ball watches with an obscene amount of tritium vials on the dial and hands. But then when you consider the price of Ball watches it’s sort of like comparing a Mustang GT 5.0 against a Porsche 911 GT3.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I'm culling the collection down to 12 in rotation. These are the ones I actually wear, so the rest are going to get sold or traded for other things.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Wow. Nice! I’m not sure I’ve had that many watches in my whole life. You can have a watch for each time zone. I’m guessing you wore #1 & #5 recently? I like the black dials. It’s hard to tell the time with the white and gold dial watches. I’m curious if that’s by intention.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Bottom Row, second watch from the left...looks like my TAG Professional from 2000/1999.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Yep, it's my trusty TAG 2000 Calibre5.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Like Mars_Attacks, I've looked to cull the collection down but I've been stuck at this level and don't see any further reductions.

Top row: Glycine, Sinn, Heuer, Sinn, Seiko
2nd row: Aquastar, Marathon, Omega, Elka (Lemania), Glycine
3rd row: Zeno, Zeno, Panerai (clone), Sinn, Hyunsuk Custom
4th row: Casio, Casio, Seiko, Klasërn, Paketa

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
You guys have nice watches. I’ve never had much disposable income and so never really collected anything. I buy what I need, with quality if possible. I’m very curious how you decide what to buy given all the different makes, models and colors out there. Some seem like variations on a theme but even then it’s curious. And then why 10 $1000 watches vs 1 $10,000 watch?

Is it collecting brands? Different functions? Different cosmetics? Very interesting outside looking in.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
konata88,

Never set out to collect watches. I was drawn to a beautiful Zodiac SeaChron 4557 powered by a Valijoux 72 back in 1968. Sadly lost it many years later.

Picked up a neat Seiko 6138 chronograph as a newly commissioned naval officer. Couldn't afford the Omega Speedmaster that the Seiko somewhat looked like.

In the intervening and succeeding years I had a number of inexpensive and not long lasting pieces from the likes of Benrus, Pulsar, Citizen, Swatch, etc. to wear when I didn't want to risk damaging my Seiko. But somewhere around 1999-2000 I came across some articles about the Lemania 5100 chronograph movement. If memory serves it was either military or space related. It lead to the acquisition of my Heuer 510.503 chronograph which ended up snowballing into more chronos and other types of tool watches (GMTs and Divers).

With few exceptions my collection was built in the early 2000s. Bought and sold probably 2 dozen pieces as well. Since it has been a matter of proper care and timely servicing.

I've ended up with what I consider special pieces of each type...some examples:
--classic mid-60s Omega piepan Constellation dress watch
--rugged Sinn military 156 chrono
--Sinn 142 automatic chrono flown on Skylab D1 mission in '85
--late '70s - early '80 1000 meter Aquastar Benthos I diver
--first contract run (Oct 2001) of the Marathon SAR 300m dive watch
--3 time zone GMT Glycine Airman

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88: ...And then why 10 $1000 watches vs 1 $10,000 watch?

I know a wealthy individual who has 10 $10,000 watches...and of couple of $100,000+ watches. What is or is not "reasonable" is relative.

I have seven or eight watches that were all under $500. (Although one of them would have been over $800 if I hadn't used my employee discount from working at a watch manufacturer's outlet store.)

For me it's about different styles for different occasions. I have one watch to wear with formal attire; one that's appropriate with formal attire, business attire, or "dressy casual"; and a couple that go well with sports wear. I have one diver's watch that I mainly wear at work or when actually diving; and a couple that I no longer wear at all but keep for sentimental reasons.

I had several more, bought with that same employee discount, but I sold them after a couple of years when the price and demand went up after they were discontinued.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
It’s cool you guys know history of a watch line and the internals and what is good/bad. I don’t know anything so I’m driven by dumb cosmetics and some reputation for quality. It’s more interesting knowing the trivia behind a watch and can look at it as a white box. To me, anything below the face is black box.

I guess my selection is rather one dimensional whereas you guys have multiple dimensions to what you choose. Cool!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Bottom Row, second watch from the left...looks like my TAG Professional from 2000/1999.

And mine, as well

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
A certain somebody asked me over for a cookout today up at their farm.

Turns out this certain somebody didn't follow directions on removing the crown stem and I was needed to repair the keyless works.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Wow, you can fix that? Very cool. I get dizzy looking at that. Too many tiny parts.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
How hard is the keyless works to fix on an ETA 2824-2? I was tinkering with two of mine as I attempted to teach myself how to remove a movement and swap it into another watch....I broke both of them. Frown

But hey I learned what not to do and now I can swap movements. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I got piles of parts. They are easy to replace.

Did you pop the setting lever out of place?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I think I may have pressed the crown in too hard or used a crown stem that was from one watch and put it in the other watch accidentally. I’m honestly not sure what I broke. I have not taken a movement apart yet. I have been slowly acquiring more and more tools and plan to begin to tear into them after I read up and watch a few videos on the inner workings of the 2824-2.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
You have to pull the stem out to the setting position before you push the release button, then you have to push the button as you insert the stem back in.

You CAN press the button too far, so you put pressure on the crown first before you press it or remove it.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!