SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
As a left-hand wearer, I like the crown being on the left.
Though, I've gotten used to the more traditional R-side crown, as that's all I've ever had.

Curious if a L crown would feel odd.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15316 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
The crown is still on the right at about 4 o-clock, the large 9 o-clock is the depth gauge opening.

Posts: 5738 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Okay, Seiko-heads! My new-to-me SRPD09 arrived today.
Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Stickman, I may eventually run across a Seiko that fits the bill. I like that Stargate, but not for my first and possibly only Seiko. And besides, I’d be tempted to treat it like my Phoibos and be afraid of putting wear on it, cringing over every scratch and leaving it in the watch box basically forever. Speaking of, I need to try to sell that and turn it into something I’ll wear. The Orient Ray Raven II (what an odd name for a watch model) I posted is really calling to me, though. So much so, I’m fighting the urge to just buy on on the auction site… and losing. I’d wear the hell out of that thing.

*Edit - Slept on it, and pulled the trigger this morning. I should have my orange dial Orient within the week.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:
The crown is still on the right at about 4 o-clock, the large 9 o-clock is the depth gauge opening.

Gotcha, still not having the crown peg your wrist all day (at 3:00) would be nice.

Put some Swiss on my wrist today & broke out the Movado. Haven't worn it in a long time & forgot just how slim it is compared to the Citizen Sat-Wave F150.

Posts: 15316 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5: ...Put some Swiss on my wrist today & broke out the Movado.

Which Movado?

I have one "Museum Watch" and one "ESQ by Movado," and yes, they're very slim. (I got mine with my employee discount when I worked at a Movado store one Christmas season as a second job.)

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
One of my Orient mods. The coin edge bezel and silver insert really changes and improves the look of the watch in my opinion.

Orient bracelets are pretty good but I have upgraded this one to a strapcode.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
It looks good. Is that a Ray 2? What bezel and insert did you use?

In the video reviews I've been watching, the big complaints are the bracelet with hollow end links, the mineral crystal, and the small crown. The crown I think I can put up with, and I'll immediately be removing the bracelet in favor of a NATO, but after bashing the face of my Combat Sub into the racking at work for the better part of a year and having absolutely no marks to show for it, I'm thinking it won't be long before I'll be ordering a double domed sapphire crystal for my Ray 2. Maybe not long after that will be a new bezel and insert, and I'm really liking the sapphire bezel insert I just installed in my Glycine, so that would be an easy call to make.

*Edit- A quick look shows all kinds of different mod parts. Like, five different websites with a variety of bezels that take SKX inserts, different straps, sapphire crystals and more. Welcome to the Seiko big tent! Big Grin

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
P220 Smudge, the bezel came from Long Island Watch and the insert from a seller on the fleabay. There are a bunch of vendors online so it shouldn’t be hard at all to mod your Ray II like I did mine.

There was a model with drilled lugs and I think it also had a sapphire crystal. The Mako USA II was the name. It was available with a black or white dial. When modded with a fully lumed insert and sub style bezel it becomes one of the best looking Orient watches ever made.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one of those DOXA Sub 300T homages. For $179 I would struggle to build one close to that price even if I already had 1/2 of the parts on hand. Of course as soon as I pull the trigger I discover a $15 discount code on a YouTube video review of the watch. Oh well.

Any guesses which color I decided on?

Sneak peak of a quick mock up of one of my more interesting builds on the horizon. Rare ice blue Seiko 5 dial + SRP Turtle case. Still very much a work in progress but it’s going to be quite unique when it’s finished. I’m going to change the chapter ring to something light blue or silver.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I figure I’ll give it a bit as it comes factory, and then go to work on it. I saw that bezel on LIW, so that’s what I’ll probably end up getting.

I saw a Mako II USA white dial on the auction site, but it was going for more than I wanted to spend. It looked really good. I guess I’ll see how I like this one - I’ve eyeballed a few used in the $100 ballpark with a black dial and been tempted. If their compressor style re-release king diver wasn’t a 20mm lug width with a 43.8mm case diameter, I’d be awful tempted to get one with a green dial. Those dimensions seem a bit off to me, and I’m trying to standardize on 22mm lug width for strap changes.

That dial on your Seiko project looks great. I keep seeing nice Marinemaster dials on fleabay that catch my eye.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Any guesses which color I decided on?

I'm guessing either orange, or blue with the orange hand. Smile

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5: ...Put some Swiss on my wrist today & broke out the Movado.

Which Movado?

I have one "Museum Watch" and one "ESQ by Movado," and yes, they're very slim. (I got mine with my employee discount when I worked at a Movado store one Christmas season as a second job.)

Mine is a Fiero. Curved sapphire crystal & tungsten case/band.
Only curved crystal Movado I've seen. My dad's is similar but has a flat sapphire.

Edit: Stock photo from another thread on here.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Test your watch identification skills.

What kind of watch am I wearing today?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Helm Vanuatu on a Strapcode Engineer.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That was fast!

The OEM Helm NATO strap & stainless steel bracelet are great but I like the way this straight end link bracelet allows you to see more of that beautiful case.

Helm has to regulate these because it is incredibly accurate for a NH35A.

I went with the black day wheel with white numbers. It seemed more balanced and I think it might be a little easier to read than a white wheel. Breakfast of champions in background. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Gee thanks stickman Wink

I'm on the Komodo waiting list at #2179 and can't wait.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
For Speedie fans/owners:

Posts: 4030 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:
For Speedie fans/owners:

$190 lol. Black looks good, though.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Gee thanks stickman Wink

I'm on the Komodo waiting list at #2179 and can't wait.

I'm at 1962, and I think that is at least a year out.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:

$190 lol.

...And that's one of the very cheapest optional straps they have!!!
I wanted one of the rubber Seamaster bands... $600! LOL

Posts: 4030 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post