SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
3 Body Problem.

Posts: 7659 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Three-Inch Teeth by C.J. Box (latest in the Joe Pickett series).

Posts: 719 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Years ago I put on my "to do" list a book called A Coffin For Dimitrios; it was recommended in the espionage genre.

I finally decided to read it. It's not really espionage, but somewhat a mystery.

The premise is that a successful British detective novelist is on sabbatical in Turkey, and he meets with a shadowy member of Turkey's Secret Police, who tells him of an international criminal named Dimitrios who was recently found in the sea. But nobody really knows what Dimitrios looks like, and his history is full of holes. He is thought to have committed crimes in several cities across Europe.

The protagonist, Charles Latimer, is shown Dimitrios' body, and decides that, despite being a successful detective novelist, he hasn't really ever participated in an actual investigation. He decides to trace Dimitrios' known whereabouts to see what he can find out about this mysterious criminal, just to satisfy his own curiosity.

The book was published in 1939, takes place in 1938, and the writing is actually pretty good. It was an interesting plot, with several twists.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6153 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Finished the Old Testament after starting with Genesis a few months ago.
Sadly, I'd never taken the time to read through it before. And took the time to really read it.

On to the New Testament now.

Not really intended to be read cover to cover, I think. May look into a more structured order at a later time.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16036 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Another Mitch Albom book; Tuesdays With Morrie.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39324 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just reread "Alas Babylon". Still as great a read as it was 50 years ago.

Posts: 794 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read the book Brooklyn since I'm a fan of the movie. The sequal "Long Island" came out a week or so ago and i'm reading that (not digging as much as Brooklyn but a pretty good read).

Posts: 3552 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Continuing to work through the Mark Dawson series on a Kindle Unlimited 90 day free trial. They [Amazon] do not seem too concerned how often you start a new trial (I started one in February, and just started another). All of Mark Dawson's books are free to read on Kindle Unlimited (about 40 books), several different series with interrelated characters. Pretty good reads, a special team of British secret wet work agents.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10885 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Onward through the Orphan X series by Gregg Hurwitz mentioned by someone on here. Last was "Dark Horse", now "Last Orphan".
Also reading "The War on the West" by Douglas Murray.

Posts: 719 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PKFan:
Onward through the Orphan X series by Gregg Hurwitz mentioned by someone on here. Last was "Dark Horse", now "Last Orphan".
Also reading "The War on the West" by Douglas Murray.

Orphan X is definitely good reading.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10885 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grant by Ron Chernow. Superb!

Posts: 830 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
Red Rising - Pierce Brown

JC

Posts: 1307 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Judgment Prey by John Sandford

Posts: 5771 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Where Men Win Glory by Jon Krakauer.

The story of Pat Tillman and the subsequent cover-up. Pretty sickening but not at all surprising.

Posts: 20665 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rereading A book about Mario Andretti written by Gordon Kirby. I love the F1 cars from the 70's and 80's. The Andretti's are battling F1 now for a spot on the grid. I haven't followed F1 real close lately so I don't know the politics of why they don't want Andretti to field a team.

Posts: 1349 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
Rereading A book about Mario Andretti written by Gordon Kirby. I love the F1 cars from the 70's and 80's. The Andretti's are battling F1 now for a spot on the grid. I haven't followed F1 real close lately so I don't know the politics of why they don't want Andretti to field a team.

[Drift]
They'd rather he buy an existing team, than spread the grid to 11.
They [F1] aren't opposed to 11 teams, but needs to be 'the right team' or an OEM works team Roll Eyes
Teams are also worried about splitting the pit 11 ways, even though the pot gets bigger with an additional team.
Someone at F1 made the comment "F1 adds more to Andretti, than Andretti adds to F1"
[/Drift]

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16036 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Currently still on my Civil War kick. Reading The Battle of Franklin. It's about the Battle of Franklin.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6153 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Currently rediscovering The Sheep Look Up, a dystopian novel I read in 9th grade.

Posts: 11293 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Ray Bradbury’s ‘Fahrenheit 451’

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 426 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bigbuck5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Another Mitch Albom book; Tuesdays With Morrie.

That's a great book! My Dad passed from ALS. Someone recommended the book to me during his illness.

Posts: 372 | Location: RGV Texas | Registered: January 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post