SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
I found out JJ Burnell has an autobiography out, and it seems to be expensive, since it was apparently not released in the US

That could be interesting. I love his bass on Nice'n'Sleazy.

Posts: 719 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Just finished "The Golden Trade of the Moors" which is a history of northern Africa from pre-Roman times up to the start of European colonization. Not a period I'd had a lot of exposure to. An era and region where gold, salt, camels, slave trade, and the spread of Islam all had tremendous impact.

Next up is "The Indifferent Stars Above" laying out the story of the Donner Party disaster of 1846.

Posts: 15171 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Just finished Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and now reading Skunk Works.

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 426 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I have read Blood Meridian and The Road in the last 3 weeks.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10607 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy the writings of Tom Clavin and Bob Drury. They cover some war stories and some on the old West. Their current book, "Throne of Grace - A Mountain Man, an Epic Adventure and the Bloody Conquest of the American West", is very good. These men were incredible, this book focuses on Jedadiah Smith and his adventures. He did so much to map and explore the West yet doesn't get a lot of credit.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jack Carr’s latest “Red Sky Mourning”. It’s a good’un!

Posts: 830 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Killing Patton by Bill O’Reilly

Posts: 5771 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nuclear War: A Scenario by Annie Jacobsen. Damn, what an eye opener! Explains what would occur, minute by minute, after a first strike on the U.S. by a rouge nation.

Posts: 830 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Just finished the 3 Body Problem trilogy. AMAZING science fiction, though depressing as hell.

quote:
Originally posted by BearBio:
Curious: Ever read a Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking?? Hard read! Took me a couple of days sometimes to understand a single page! But well worth it!

Try Hawking's Universe in a Nutshell. That was a very good read.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17644 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:
Nuclear War: A Scenario by Annie Jacobsen. Damn, what an eye opener! Explains what would occur, minute by minute, after a first strike on the U.S. by a rouge nation.

I just completed this book as well. This is a nonfiction book that is very well researched. The book lists all of the sources and interviews for her research. "Damn" is an understatement. Wow! You'll come away from this book with a different outlook.

Posts: 1073 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Just finished "A Walk in the Park" by Kevin Fedarko. If you like hiking, enjoy the outdoors I think you'll like this book. It's a bit of history, a bit of Native American and a whole lot about what a person can do when they set their mind to it. Through hiking the Grand Canyon, from end to end, it's 200 miles. But it's really 700 miles with hundreds of thousands of feet of elevation. Highly recommended, what an adventure.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Just finished the 3 Body Problem trilogy. AMAZING science fiction, though depressing as hell.

quote:
Originally posted by BearBio:
Curious: Ever read a Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking?? Hard read! Took me a couple of days sometimes to understand a single page! But well worth it!

Try Hawking's Universe in a Nutshell. That was a very good read.

I have, but haven't yet read, Stephen Hawking's Universe. Can you compare them? Thanks.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39324 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Finished 13 Hours, and it was very interesting. The movie covered it pretty well, but there was definitely some dramatic license taken in the movie. For example, there was a Team Leader on site for the GRS guys that wasn't even mentioned in the movie. I haven't read Sarah Adams' book on the subject yet.

Anyway, I started Ember, the latest book in the Tier One book series. I REALLY didn't like the previous book, Dempsey, but this one is starting out much better. There are a lot of threads spinning up, a lot of characters in the mix, at least one of whom was thought dead. It will be interesting to see how things weave together.

I have a separate thread on the series.

quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
So I decided to read 13 Hours: The Inside Account of What Really Happened in Benghazi.

It's an account of the attacks on the diplomatic compound and "secret" CIA base in Benghazi, Libya on 9/11/2012. I'm about a third of the way through, and it largely is mirrored by the movie. Good writing, with some background on the lead-up to the attacks.

I've had it for a while but haven't read it, and when I heard Mark "Oz" Geist (who was there) on The Shawn Ryan Show podcast (highly recommended), I decided to go ahead and read it. I'm going to try and follow it up with Sarah Adams' Benghazi: Know Thy Enemy. Sarah, also interviewed on Shawn Ryan's podcast several times, was a CIA targeter (not analyst) with a lot of inside information on the attacks and follow-up on bringing the perpetrators to justice. Her interviews on the podcast about her work in the CIA are eye-opening and fascinating.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6153 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Just finished "The Golden Trade of the Moors" which is a history of northern Africa from pre-Roman times up to the start of European colonization. Not a period I'd had a lot of exposure to. An era and region where gold, salt, camels, slave trade, and the spread of Islam all had tremendous impact.

Next up is "The Indifferent Stars Above" laying out the story of the Donner Party disaster of 1846.

Christian Slaves, Moslem Masters may be of interest.

I am starting Anger is An Energy by John Lydon. I found a signed paperback at Goodwill. The inscription is "Have fucking patience".

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 6008 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Sniper. I always thought Carlos Hathcock was the best sniper in Vietnam.
It was Chuck Mawhinney. He never wanted the notoriety, but somebody outed him
and he finally relented and let Jim Lindsay write a book about him.
That's a true hero.

Posts: 1349 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Read A Court of Thorns and Roses at the request of my wife.
Not bad, but don't see myself reading it again.

Re-reading Faster now.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16036 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Currently reading "A Handful of Hard Men", about the Rhodesian SAS.

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Just finished "The Golden Trade of the Moors" which is a history of northern Africa from pre-Roman times up to the start of European colonization.

Just ordered this on inter library loan. Thanks for the suggestion

Posts: 11293 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Currently reading "A Handful of Hard Men", about the Rhodesian SAS.

Excellent book You should also check out The elite: The story of the Rhodesian Special Air Service

Posts: 11293 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Ender's Game (for probably the 27th time) followed by the Shadow series then the rest of the Ender series [need to replace Children of the Mind which has disappeared along with 2 copies of Ender's Game, which I luckily have on Kindle].

Also learned that there is a prequel series covering the Formic Wars. Will probably add those to the library as well.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16036 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post