SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
Oh, and something interesting. The murder weapon was a .38 revolver using 200gr bullets.

Yes, they were also mentioned in one of the W.E.B. Griffin books about the Philadelphia PD. I haven’t checked for a long time, but as I recall their actual stopping power ballistics were pretty dismal: a heavy, slow, nonexpanding, medium caliber (size), round nose bullet.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47412 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
Oh, and something interesting. The murder weapon was a .38 revolver using 200gr bullets.

Yes, they were also mentioned in one of the W.E.B. Griffin books about the Philadelphia PD. I haven’t checked for a long time, but as I recall their actual stopping power ballistics were pretty dismal: a heavy, slow, nonexpanding, medium caliber (size), round nose bullet.

That is also my understanding, based on my reading last night.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6059 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Finished "Code Red" - perhaps the last in the Mitch Rapp series, .

I thought Don Bentley was taking over Mitch Rapp…

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I recently "discovered" a heretofore unknown (to me) author, Gregg Hurwitz. He has written almost a dozen excellent books called the Orphan X series.

None of the books is dedicated to the beginnings of the Orphan program. Bits and pieces are revealed in each book. Basically a fictional DoD program, they took hand-picked orphans and turned them into black ops operators to perform off the record DoD jobs. Each Orphan has an alphabet letter, e.g., Orphan A, and so on. The Orphans are all highly skilled in all forms of combat, hand-to-hand, stealth, snipers, assassins, etc. Lots of good action/adventure. Orphan X is main protagonist.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10789 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Finished all 10 books of The Expanse series.
Wife & kids got me a few new ones for Christmas/Birthday.

Currently reading Project Hail Mary - Andy Weir [same guy that did The Martian, which I haven't read].
Not bad so far, definitely a shift after 10 books largely written in 3rd person, to this being 1st person.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Something a little different for me right now.

Mitch Albom's The Five People You Meet In Heaven.

I've read one other book of his that I loved called, The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38702 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cynical Theories: How Activist Scholarship Made Everything About Race, Gender, and Identity—and Why This Harms Everybody by Helen Pluckrose and James Lindsay. Very helpful in understanding how (and why) we got the wokeness we're in now.

Posts: 706 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Been reading the Jack Reacher series, up to #7. In between I just finished "Fatal Forecast" by Micheal Tougias. It's similar to "The Perfect Storm", only a story of survival.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3404 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Columbine by Dave Kass.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6059 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
The Edge by David Baldacci - excellent

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15487 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted

Based on your recommendation, I just finished this book. Easy 1 day read when the weather sucks. Thanks.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4237 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Currently reading Project Hail Mary - Andy Weir [same guy that did The Martian, which I haven't read].
Not bad so far, definitely a shift after 10 books largely written in 3rd person, to this being 1st person.

About halfway through & it's finally picked up.
A few Roll Eyes moments [social commentary type stuff, pronouns & climate change], but otherwise good so far.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
The Edge by David Baldacci - excellent

Just finished this last week. And I agree - excellent.

Posts: 706 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
quote:
Originally posted

Based on your recommendation, I just finished this book. Easy 1 day read when the weather sucks. Thanks.
Mike

I've only been reading a few pages a day. I find it very emotional to read as it brings up a lot of thoughts in me. And as odd as this sounds, I don't want it to end.

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38702 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
I’ve probably posted this before but maybe not. When I was young I was a veracious reader. As I got older it became more difficult for me as it would put me to sleep within a few pages. The original Vince Flynn Mitch Rapp books were about the last I was able to “read”. Since then I’ve listened to probably hundreds of audio books.

I’ve been on an apocalyptic kick lately. I’ve just started the Mad Mick series by Franklin Horton. While it deals less with how the apocalypse happened it follows “the Mad Mick”, a former Irish operator/spook type now living in a lawless post apocalyptic world in the Appalachians. It’s a great read/listen, especially with the narration of Kevin Pierce. The first three were a box set of 3 with each being about a 7 hour listen. The three together are more typical of the average time. I’d recommend the books. I think there are 10.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Sounds like an interesting plot. I'll keep them in mind.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

About halfway through & it's finally picked up.
A few Roll Eyes moments [social commentary type stuff, pronouns & climate change], but otherwise good so far.

Finished, overall enjoyable. Definitely ramped up toward the end.
Would give it a shot if they put it to film.

Next up is Dark Matter - Blake Crouch
Know nothing about it or the author. We'll see how it goes.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
This was a Christmas gift. No, not every one of them interests me. Yes, the ones that do had very lengthy interviews that were enlightening.

Posts: 13295 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
The IDPA Hand Book and Appendix Eek

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2260 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
I just finished Kurt Schilichter’s latest book,”The Attack”. A fiction about how jihadis were smuggled across the southern border and created havoc ending up killing Americans. Book is written in sort of an after action debrief style and is spooky as hell exposing all of our vunerablities.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JWF,

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post