SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Cibola Burn & Nemesis Games are on my desk, should tide me over for a few weeks.
I was pretty amazed that I blew through ~1,500 pages of the first 3 books in 6 weeks, only reading an hour or so at night.

Helps that I'd seen the series through twice (seasons 1-5) so I know the story.

I went through book 1 though 6 in two months. Real page turners. Finished half the the Testament series. Two books left to go. Took a break and am reading The Third Target by Joel C. Rosenberg.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
"An Infantryman in Stalingrad: From 24 September 1942 to 2 February 1943" - Adelbert Holl

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Finished "The Dialogue in Hell between Machiavelli and Montesquieu" and part way through "The Gulag Archipelago".

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They Called Us "Lucky": The Life and Afterlife of the Iraq War's Hardest Hit Unit.

Cain: The Unknown Soldier: Chronicles of Cain

Cain, the firstborn son of Adam and Eve, cursed by God and forced out of Eden for murdering his brother, Abel. As God places the mark of insufferable immortality upon Cain, He condemns the first murderer of mankind to wander the world a constant warrior. Forever panged by guilt for his act, Cain lives unageing throughout the endless epochs, unable to die, yet dying a thousand different deaths, albeit temporary, but forever hiding and running, battling Mankind’s wars.

(Sounds like someone read Barry Sadler's Casca series and wanted to put their own spin on it)

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a little - okay, a lot - different than most books mentioned here but last night I finished reading A Man Called Ove. Set in Sweden, published in 2012, the story is about an older man (although just 59, not all that old to me since I am older than that)who is bitter, rigid in his sense of right and wrong and firmly believes the world would be a better place if everyone adhered to his principles, isolationist but lonely, who has various characters forced into his life. Funny and insightful, and a very easy read. There is a Swedish movie made from the book I want to watch although I don't generally love subtitles.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kho,

Posts: 550 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Human Heart, Cosmic Heart by Tom Cowan. Very interesting worthwhile read.

“ Dr. Cowan believes that the heart is not a pump, and our understanding of heart disease is completely wrong. And this gross misunderstanding is the reason heart disease remains the most common cause of death worldwide.”

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Nemesis Games
Book 5 of The Expanse. Took me a couple chapters to get into it, flowing along now. Need to get book 6 ordered.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Been reading the Kelly Turnbull books by Kurt Schlichter. Being late to the game I’m reading them in chronological storyline not in the order in which they were written. I finished Crisis two weeks ago and read Split this last week. So far I’ve been entertained.

Posts: 2956 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
The last of my Naval Institute Press 50% off sale books:

John Lundstrom's The First Team and the Guadalcanal Campaign: Naval Fighter Combat from August to November 1942

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Nemesis Games
Book 5 of The Expanse. Took me a couple chapters to get into it, flowing along now. Need to get book 6 ordered.

Babylon's Ashes ordered & en route.

I'll eventually replace my copies of Cibola Burn & Nemesis Games as they're paperback. Couldn't find CB in hardback outside of >$100 special editions.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Blind Man's Bluff: The Untold Story Of American Submarine Espionage

Excellent book. Highly recommended.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Currently, I'm reading Larry McMurtry's Texasville, which is a sequel to The Last Picture Show. While the tone of The Last Picture Show is serious, Texasville has wry, cynical humor on every page. Really, a very enjoyable read.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently I'm reading "Black Ops" by Ric Prado. Excellent history of covert operations with many personal stories that make for enjoyable reading.
It also meshes well with some stories told to me by my long time good friend Billy Waugh.

Posts: 110 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: April 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Going to finish off the Expanse series. Starting on Tiamat's Wrath tonight. Should have started it last night but I just couldn't look away from the hot, steaming train wreck that was the Avs/Devils game.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
Going to finish off the Expanse series. Starting on Tiamat's Wrath tonight. Should have started it last night but I just couldn't look away from the hot, steaming train wreck that was the Avs/Devils game.

Nearly done with Nemesis Games
Have Babylon's Ashes on my nightstand, waiting.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Just started reading The Secret Sentry by Matthew Aid. It’s about the history of the NSA.

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Almost finished w One Second After by William Forstchen

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Almost done with The Escape Artist by Brad Meltzer. I like it. Recommended.

Posts: 1052 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Finished the five book series of Dean Koontz's Frankenstein. Just got started on Dune, it's been almost 40 years since I read it.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post