SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 38 39 40 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I just finished a strange biography of a very interesting person, Thomas Townsend Brown. The book is "The Man That Mastered Gravity" by Paul Schatzkin. It's self published available on Amazon. The story involves science, spies, intrigue, WWII, even UFOs. It took the author 20 years to complete the book, the story is amazing. There is now quite a bit on the Internet, including a website by the author, ttbrown.com.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Saul David's "Devil Dogs" is my best read so far. The book is a history Of the Marines in WW II that burns through the pages like a novel. The format takes one company from the beginning on Guadalcanal and follows that unit through to the last island, Okinawa.

Some of the hype compares it to "Band of Brothers" and I certainly agree.

Posts: 6390 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Currently reading the Electric KoolAid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe. It's one of those books that I've wanted to read for 50 years and never got around to. It's an interesting read. Chaotic, which in the author's notes is exactly the tone he was trying to capture. I'm not sure I can say I'm enjoying it, it's more like morbid curiosity. But having lived through the 70's, a full decade after Kesey's Merry Pranksters, it's interesting how they influenced that period of time.

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Contact by Carl Sagan. Love the movie but Ellie's story is better in the book.

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Just finished The Expanse book one: Leviathan Wakes.
I started watching the series after well into the book and am glad I started the book first.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
Currently reading the Electric KoolAid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe. It's one of those books that I've wanted to read for 50 years and never got around to.

A great book, chronicling that era. It has been 50 years since I read it. Among other things I learned was that the Grateful Dead got their start by playing at the Acid Tests.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^
My biological father was Kesey's lawyer and then the Grateful Dead's.He is mentioned in the book. I'll have to get a copy.

OZ

Posts: 159 | Registered: February 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Price You Pay by Nick Petrie, the latest in the Peter Ash series.
Next up: The Madness of Crowds - Gender, Race and Identity by Douglas Murray.

Posts: 701 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Gun by C.J. Chivers
Won a Pulitzer Prize.

This is about the development of the AK47, but starts with the earliest machine guns - Gatling, Maxim and others.
It also goes into the US doing their “catching up” with the M16 and Vietnam in the 60’s. It then continues beyond that. Published 2010.
I didn’t read any fiction in the book, certainly none was intended. It is well footnoted and documented. When there is uncertainty of sources or information it is noted.
After all that, it is well written and easy reading.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Rereading Shogun. It has been some time since I last read it.

Watching the new TV series also.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I just finished reading the 20 Aubrey/Maturin novels by Patrick O'Brian--for the third time. Last times were > 20 years ago, so it's all fresh!

I hated leaving that exotic, exciting world.

There is now a publication of "the 21st" novel--incomplete, with O'Brian's handwritten notes on the unfinished part. Haven't read that yet.

Starting the fourth of four books in Larry Correa's fantasy series "Saga of the Forgotten Warrior".
It's pretty good. Not usually a fan of fantasy as opposed to science fiction, but I like Correa's stuff a lot. Best was the Monster Hunters International series, with lots of gun trivia. That's when I decided my Grail Gun was a Carl Gustav.

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Reading the Jack Reacher series in between other books. I just finished the lates by CJ Box, "Three Inch Teeth", a Joe Pickett novel. Fast moving, lots of violence, at the end you know where the next book is going.

I've got two going now that are worlds apart. First is "Hail Mary" by Andy Weir. Weir wrote "The Martian", definitely his best. This one is really out there, I'll get through it but not a favorite.

The other is "Blood Line" by Nelson and Alex DeMille. It's the second in series featuring a gut and girl team of Army CID investigators. Totally entertaining, easy reading.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: UTsig,

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Currently reading Theft of Fire, by Devon Eriksen.

If you're a fan of hard SciFi I highly recommend it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Based on an earlier recommendation, I just finished The Grapes of Wrath. Absolutely haunting. I have a new appreciation for the easy life I have.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Finished "Mud, Blood, and Cold Steel" about the retreat from the Battle of Nashville (December 16-17, 1864). I recently read "Hood's Tennessee Campaign" about the lead-up to the Battles of Franklin and Nashville (which was also excellent), but this one was more detailed about the aftermath of the Battle of Nashville.

The first few chapters covered the Battle of Nashville itself, with a lot of detail about the collapse of the Confederate lines on the 2nd day of the battle. I grew up on the downslope of what is now Shy's Hill (Compton's Hill at the time of the battle), and it was fascinating reading in such detail stuff that I knew exactly where it happened.

The Confederates made a mad dash south from Nashville to try to escape the pursuing Union troops, in an effort to get across the Tennessee River in Alabama to some measure of safety.

It is hard to imagine the suffering those men went through. Freezing temperatures (down to 15°F), sleet, snow, ice, and rain, trying to ford or cross rivers on pontoon boats. Consider that they had to build a pontoon bridge across the Tennessee river (20' long boats 20' apart with planking 13' wide, swaying in the current), with Union gunboats trying to make it upriver to blow away your pontoon bridge, and you trying to cross with wagons, artillery, and animals, a river as wide as the Tennessee River.

One third of the men didn't have shoes; they wrapped burlap sacks around their feet to walk through the mush and snow and ice. Many of those that did have shoes tied the soles on with rope or wire.

And they had little food or supplies. One group of soldiers found some pigs on a farm, but the tinder was too wet to make a fire, so they slaughtered and ate the pigs raw.

Many were saved by the fact that the Union pontoon train was sent from Nashville toward Murfreesboro rather than south to Columbia, delaying the pursuit of the Union army.

I'm kinda on a Civil War kick right now. If you have any interest in the subject, both "Hood's Tennessee Campaign" and "Mud, Blood, and Cold Steel" are excellent.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6042 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Half way through "Outlive: The Science & Art of Longevity" by Peter Attia M.D. It's a surprisingly entertaining book that is an easy read and doesn't get bogged down in a lot of jargon. Not interested in living forever, but I would like to hang around for a while. He makes the point that he is more interested in a longer healthspan (as he puts it) rather than a longer lifespan. That's the goal. But a by-product of a longer healthspan is a longer lifespan. If you have an interest in any health related topics, I recommend the book highly.

Posts: 1052 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ I read a similar book I really enjoyed called Younger Next Year.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post