SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Next up is Dark Matter - Blake Crouch
Know nothing about it or the author. We'll see how it goes.

Short read, not bad. Started slow & confusing, but gained a lot of momentum as it progressed.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15730 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Paused Columbine to read The Attack by Kurt Schlicter.

quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
Columbine by Dave Kass.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6110 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
A Dream About Lightning Bugs - Ben Folds

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15730 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Killing Moon by Jo Nesbo

Posts: 5722 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
The Edge by David Baldacci.

I would suggest you read the 6:20 Man, first book in this series.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1964 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I've read a couple of good ones in the last month. First "The Lost Tomb: And Other Stories of Bones, Burials and Murder" by Douglas Preston. Preston teams with Lincoln Child for the popular Prendergast series but writes some very good non-fiction. He dives into the tales in this book, a series of 13 articles he's written over the years.

I just finished "The Confidante: The Untold Story of the Woman Who Helped Win WWII and Shape Modern America". Anna Rosenberg led an amazing life, virtually unknown but truly did what the title says. I'm not a history buff but like to read books on little known people or events.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3439 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I was rummaging around in our storage room and started looking through the boxes of books I have there. I was looking for one book in particular, but I found my first edition, hard copy of “Lonesome Dove.” This is McMurtry’s “War and Peace.” It’s been nearly 45 years. Now, after the miniseries, you can’t read it without seeing the faces of the actors, but that’s ok. I’m enjoying it. Never did find the book I was looking for.

Posts: 13455 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
The Hobbit. Haven't read it since I was a kid, and never read LOTR.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6110 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Books I should revisit.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39013 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
The River We Remember by William Kent Krueger. He is a wonderful author and I have also read most of the Cork O'Conner series. My favorite of his books is Ordinary Grace.

2/12 Update - Finished this fine book today. Excellent read.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcrimm,

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4263 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A friend just introduced me to the action thriller series by Jack Carr. Like everything in that genre his books require “the willing suspension of disbelief,” but his are by far the best I’ve ever read whose topics have more of a military or quasi military focus. The author actually knows what he’s talking about when discussing various types of weaponry and if the hero has a SIG P365, how could there be anything not to like? Wink

I am currently rereading Rise and Kill First, “The secret history of Israel’s targeted assassinations” by Ronen Bergman. An excellent book about just what the subtitle says. The author makes it clear from the beginning that he wasn’t an unthinking fan of such operations and treats the subject in what I consider to be an objective manner, warts and all.

In the same vein I just finished One Day in September by Simon Reeve, and which is about the 1972 Munich Olympics incident in which Israeli competitors were kidnapped and then murdered by Muslim Black September terrorists. I’d read other accounts of the incident, but this goes into more detail than what I was familiar with before. For example, the other accounts I’d read tended to just say that the German police didn’t respond appropriately, but this provides far more details about what happened.

A couple by Adrian Gilbert: Sniper, “The world of combat sniping,” and Stalk and Kill, “The sniper experience.” The latter has a lot of descriptions by individual snipers and, unusually, their victims of, as it says, the experiences. And, unusually for a British author about the subject, he gets most descriptions of actual shooting correct.

The Dirty Tricks Department, “Stanley Lovell, the OSS, and the masterminds of World War II secret warfare.” As is increasingly common about histories these days, the book is written in a somewhat informal manner, and it includes some claims that aren’t supported very well, if at all. On the whole, though, it was worth the read and discussed many things I wasn’t familiar with despite my previous interest in the organization and its operations and methods.

The Dying Citizen, “How Progressive Elites, Tribalism, and Globalization Are Destroying the Idea of America,” by Victor Davis Hanson. I’m reading bits of this at a time because it is a truly depressing work and I can’t bear to absorb more than small bites. Anything by VDH is of course top level. Another I reread some time ago was Carnage and Culture aka Why the West Has Won: a history of the western world’s way of warfare and why it’s always been successful.

In queue:
Union Station by David Downing is another novel in his “station” series about spies and their operations. I have really enjoyed them in general and am looking forward to starting this one.

Paradise Undone, “A novel of Jonestown,” by Annie Dowid. As the subtitle indicates, it’s a fictionalized account of the People’s Temple cult and mass suicide at Jonestown, Guiana. I seldom have any interest in fiction accounts of something like that, but after watching a YouTube video of the author conducted by a good friend, I decided to take a chance. The subject of cults has long fascinated me, and a different perspective might be worth the read.

The Kill Artist, Daniel Silva, was recommended by another forum member, and is also in the action thriller genre (as I understand it), but this time about an Israeli operative, which will be different from my usual fare, and will probably will also be informative.

The Shadow of War, “A novel of the Cuban Missile Crisis,” by Jeff Shaara. This is actually on preorder, but I have always enjoyed Shaara’s historical novels (less so the one about Teddy Roosevelt). The last one of his I read was To the Last Man about the First World War, and which did not disappoint.

Et al.

Edited. Oops: Not interested in fictional accounts about cults.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47554 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

In queue:

The Kill Artist, Daniel Silva, was recommended by another forum member, and is also in the action thriller genre (as I understand it), but this time about an Israeli operative, which will be different from my usual fare, and will probably will also be informative.

This is the first of 23 novels by Daniel Silva. The operative is Gabriel Allon (Mossad, but euphemistically referred to as "the Office" in Silva's books). Each novel is a stand-alone plot, but in each book a little of Allon's prior operation, the Wrath of God, is revealed. This was when he was tasked to hunt down and kill the Black September members responsible for the Munich massacre. I have enjoyed every one of them, read in order as they were published, and some reread.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10842 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
I finally got around to reading To Kill A Mockingbird. I somehow avoided it in my HS and college required reading. I have to say that Harper Lee could write well. It's not a difficult book but certainly one with lots of layers.

Currently re-reading the Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolf. Enjoying it immensely again after first reading it maybe 25 years ago.

Posts: 11264 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just started The Attack by Kurt Schlichter, scary read. Hopefully not too prescient.

Posts: 110 | Registered: January 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Just started the fifth in Louise Penny's Armand Gamache series, The Brutal Telling

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39013 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Armand and 3 Pines yes read some but not for a long time.

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2361 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Chris Bledsoe’s UFO of God. It’s a fascinating book. It started out a bit slow but oh boy did it get interesting when the UFO/UAP showed up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21191 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cyberphobia:
Armand and 3 Pines yes read some but not for a long time.

Takes me a while to get through them as I find her writing very creative and descriptive. It isn't really difficult, but complicated enough to slow me down. Still, I think she's a great writer.

And now Three Pines is on Amazon Prime. Tempted to start that series soon.

posted Hide Post
Green Breakdown: The Coming Renewable Energy Failure by Steve Goreham.

Posts: 713 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Over 7 million illegals come over in the past 3 years? It's a matter of when, not if.
quote:
Originally posted by jsyodes:
Just started The Attack by Kurt Schlichter, scary read. Hopefully not too prescient.

Phone's ringing, Dude.