SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
The Third Bullet
Sniper's Honor
Game of Snipers

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lithog
posted Hide Post
Reading The Cold Dish, the first of Craig Johnson's Longmire series. It's a fun read, but I'm having trouble with images of Robert Taylor's Walt and "Starbuck's" Vic from the TV series not fitting the characters in the book.

---------------------------
"Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger, THE SHOOTER

Posts: 1216 | Location: Memphis,Tenn.,USA | Registered: October 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Getting ready to dive into a Christmas gift Taste Stanley Tucci

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lithog:
Reading The Cold Dish, the first of Craig Johnson's Longmire series. It's a fun read, but I'm having trouble with images of Robert Taylor's Walt and "Starbuck's" Vic from the TV series not fitting the characters in the book.

'Cause they really don't. Especially Vic/Starbuck. They are NOTHING alike except the name.

I've really enjoyed the CJ Box Joe Pickett books I've read based on recommendations here.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1951 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:

'Cause they really don't. Especially Vic/Starbuck. They are NOTHING alike except the name.

I've really enjoyed the CJ Box Joe Pickett books I've read based on recommendations here.

I tried the first two of the series. I could not finish either one. The longmire show and books are both good.

I finished up Lou Diamond Phillips's book "The Tinderbox:Soldier of Indra"

it's a solid c-. I think it could be a B+ had he not listened to his editor.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Red Rabbit by Tom Clancy

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Working my way though Ian W. Toll's "Pacific War Trilogy". Still on book 1, this is going to take a while.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Currently reading "The Last Wish" (the first book in the Witcher series) for my "fun" book.

Also reading "Excellence in Adversity: A History of the Small Arms of the Sterling Armament Company" for my "educational" book.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Chasing the Lion AJ Tata...

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I have The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection on my shelf. I've read them before, individually, but I'm looking forward to diving back in after I've finished my current read (mentioned above), they are my guilty pleasure. After that, I have a biography of the Duke of Wellington to get through, followed by a re-read of either the Aubrey-Maturin series or perhaps Cornwell's Sharpe Collection.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
"Madhouse at the End of the Earth" by Julian Sancton. Excellent story about survival in Antartica. I always like when an author concludes the story with the "after", well done in this book.

The wreck of the Jeanette is mentioned a few times, a good book on that is "Kingdom of Ice" by Hamton Sides.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Re-reading Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I completed The Shootist by Glendon Swarthout and then went on to The Last Shootist by his son, Miles Swarthout. This is a sequel to The Shootist

Now, I'm reading The Old Colts by Glendon Swarthout, which is a mixture of fact and fiction about Bat Masterson and Wyatt Earp in their later years and it is, in a word, delightful.

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Re-reading Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand.

The parallels to what's happening today are almost frightening.

Too bad it isn't about half as long as it takes a hundred or so pages to get into it and many don't have the attention span to follow it that long before giving up.
Once you understand where it's going and can see the parallels to today's world, you start to wish it was required reading in every school.

I'd have to say the lessons in there are among the best in any book.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Politics in an apolitical thread.

It's understandable, though. I've said this a mere 30,000 times, so...

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Politics in an apolitical thread.

It's understandable, though. I've said this a mere 30,000 times, so...

My sincere apologies, para. My fault. It was a thoughtless, off-hand comment.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
The Hag by Marc Eliot. Always been a Merle Haggard fan. So far, it’s been really good.

Posts: 393 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I just finished "The Quartet" by Joseph Ellis. I probably knew a lot of what's in this book but I'm old and needed a refresher. Great read on the forming of the United States and writing the Constitution. Very readable, made me go and get his "Founding Brothers" to read next.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
Although I'm a big crime-fiction fan -- particularly of vintage noir -- and have read my share of modern masters, I've never read any Elmore Leonard. Just always figured, I suppose, that his work wasn't "dark" enough, that it was too lighthearted for the despair and bleak fatalism I like in my crime reads. But thought it was time to get over that and find out why he's considered among our very best crime writers. Starting off with what I understand is one of his best, GET SHORTY; began it last night and really enjoying it so far. It's been a loonnng time since I've seen the film, so am able to keep the image of Travolta out of mind.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Death on the Nile" by Agatha Christie. Looking forward to the new adaptation coming out this week!

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post