SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 42
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ That's cool!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38709 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Just finished Nelson and Alex Demille's "The Deserter". I like some of Nelson's books, not all but I hardly ever don't finish a book I start. Well, I did finish this but it took some perseverance. It's not bad, a good theme, good characters but way too drawn out. Too much drivel in between doing something, could have been 100 pages shorter.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3405 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Finished Leviathan Wakes & on to Caliban's War

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'm now reading the forth in Viveca Sten's Sandhamn murder series. I gotta say, they are really good and the translation is excellent! Gripping plots and very good character stories in between.

https://www.amazon.com/Still-W...a%2Caps%2C221&sr=8-2

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38709 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Finished the Scudder series and starting The Complete Idiot's Guide To Ancient Greece.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Collector", the latest from Daniel Silva. A decent story, lefty content notwithstanding. Back to the Joe Pickett series from C.J. Box.

Posts: 706 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
So rather than reading about Ancient Greece, I decided to read Walk Through Fire: The Train Disaster that Changed America, and it one of the best nonfiction books I have ever read.

In early 1978, a train derailed in Waverly, TN, about an hour west of Nashville. At the bottom of the pile of cars were 2 tanker cars containing liquid propane. Several days later, after most of the cars had been removed and they were preparing to offload the liquid propane, one of the tanker cars exploded. A large portion of the town was destroyed, sixteen people were killed, and many were injured, many with severe burns.

I was a kid living in Nashville when this occurred, and remember some of the details. It was reported at the time that someone was smoking near the propane tanks, and while this is confirmed in the book, there was no "official" cause of the explosion determined.

The book is very readable. It covers some of the people involved - police, firefighters, doctors, nurses, and townspeople; some history of the area; the disaster and immediate aftermath; changes to industry standards and regulations with regard to railroad safety and transportation of hazardous materials (this was a little tedious); and the aftermath of the town and several of the survivors.

The author is actually the daughter of two of the doctors involved in the emergency intake of those injured.

I highly recommend the book if you have any interest in the subject.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
“Don’t Tell Anybody the Secrets I Told You; A Memoir,” Lucinda Williams. This book was a gift, and it sat in my nightstand for a few months. I like some of her music, but I don’t really follow it closely and haven’t listened to many albums. It’s a mixed bag. Her life is certainly interesting, she has lived in a lot of different places, including Mexico City in her young teen years, but her writing isn’t great, she was performing around Mexico with another musician when she was only 14-15 years old and should’ve been in school.

Posts: 13300 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Finished Leviathan Wakes & on to Caliban's War

Almost done with Abbadon's Gate
Definitely breezing through it faster the 2nd time through

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Hood's Tennessee Campaign. Saw a talk on the subject on CSPAN2, and so far it's a very interesting read.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
About to finish Jon Steele's Angelus trilogy.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Reading American Prometheus for the second time. Also saw a the movie. Excellently written with attributes to lend authenticity. Highly recommended!

Posts: 1988 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished American Prometheus. Wanted to read it before seeing the movie but it is a high demand book
at the library. By the time I get my hands on it, the movie was out of our theatre.
I was told that the book was available for fourteen days/no renewal so it was a hump to finish.
I highly recommend it as well and will read it again.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I love a good outdoor adventure story and "The Emerald Mile" by Kevin Federko fits the bill. This book concentrates on the Spring of 1983 in Southeast Utah as an epic snowmelt threatens the Glen Canyon Dam, causes the engineers to release a huge amount of water. The Colorado River is flooded and three river runners decide it's a great time to set the record for the 277 mile length of the Grand Canyon. An easy read, lots about the Glen Canyon, the dam and the Colorado River.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: UTsig,

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3405 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Given the events in Israel and the Trojan Horse that has been welcomed across the southern border, I figured it was a good time to reread Bill Forstchen's Day of Wrath.

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Recently finished Eaters of the Dead .
This is one instance where I think I enjoyed the movie more (The 13th Warrior).
I do like the movie as I had no expectations going in whereas w/ regards to the book, I may have been expecting more. It was a pretty quick read.

Posts: 7372 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Reviews of four I recently completed reading:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/6210055405

I am still in the middle of France on Trial: “The Case of Marshal Pétain,” by Julian Jackson; The Old Lion: “A Novel of Theodore Roosevelt,” by Jeff Shaara; Spies: “The Epic Intelligence War Between East and West,” by Calder Walton; and The Radicalism of the American Revolution: “How a Revolution Transformed a Monarchial Society Into a Democratic One Unlike Any That Had Ever Existed,” Gordon S. Wood.

I also recently finished Infantry Attacks by Erwin Rommel; Christian Understandings of the Future by Amy Frykholm (who lives in my town); Armageddon: “What the Bible Really Says About the End,” by Bart D. Ehrman; The Fate of Rome: “Climate, Disease, and the End of an Empire,” by Kyle Harper; and others.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47412 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finished The Rape of Nanking a few months ago. A very stark and depressing book. The author, Iris Chang, was working on a book about The Bataan Death March when she took her own life.

Most recently, I finished the Bible.

Speed is fine, but accuracy is final

The use of the pen is an indulgence we can afford only because better men and women grip the sword on our behalf -Ralph Peters

Posts: 223 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: July 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Cereal boxes. Food labels, etc.

If you are not reading toothpaste tubes then you are missing out.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5967 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Given the events in Israel and the Trojan Horse that has been welcomed across the southern border, I figured it was a good time to reread Bill Forstchen's Day of Wrath.

Please consider these books, related in theme. Some are written by the recent aggressors.

'Contemporary Muslim Apocalyptic Literature', David Cook.

'Studies in Muslim Apocalyptic', David Cook.

'Israel and the Prophecies of the Holy Qur'an, a Comprehensive Explanation of the Appearance of al Masih al-Dajjal, the Antichrist and Yajuj (Gog) and Majuj (Magog) in the Light of Modern Power Blocs, their Scientific Means of Destruction and Nuclear War', Ali Akbar.

'Londonistan', Melanie Phillips.

'Unholy Alliance', David Horowitz.

'Dajjal the AntiChrist', Ahmad Thomson.

'Nazi Propaganda for the Arab World', Jeffry Herf.

'Jihad and Jew-Hatred', Matthias Kuntzel.

'Holiest Wars: Islamic Mahdis, Their Jihads, and Osama Bin Laden', Timothy Furnish.

'Chrisian Slaves, Muslim Masters', Robert Davis.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5967 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post