SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I just finished a series by Jeff Shaara on the western theater campaign of the Civil War, focused on Sherman from Shiloh to North Carolina. Lots of details about not only the battles of the war, but also the battles among the generals, especially the CSA generals who were often difficult, such as Braxton Bragg.
I had not read much at all about what is called the western theater, although it includes Georgia and the Carolinas because the same armies fought through all those states.

I like Shaara's writing. If you read his follow-ups to his father's The Killer Angels, you will like this series.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Switched to A Drop of the Hard Stuff, the final Matt Scudder novel.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6043 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I just finished The Collapse by our very own SIGforum member David Jones. It's book one of a three part series called The Guardians of Rockport.

I found it very enjoyable and look forward to the rest in the series. I'm sure like-minded membership will enjoy the story as well as gain knowledge should/when a collapse occurs.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Just finished watching The Expanse
Think I'll take a TV break & re-read the 9 book (10 if you count the novella compilation) series, since I hadn't read/didn't have the last 3, the last time I read it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Just started reading the Witcher series. My wife already read the first book and liked it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Cereal boxes. Food labels, etc.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reading The Naked Bible by Mauro Biglino. Interesting history, but quite disturbing at the same time. Definitely not for everyone.

Posts: 2368 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Just finished watching The Expanse
Think I'll take a TV break & re-read the 9 book (10 if you count the novella compilation) series, since I hadn't read/didn't have the last 3, the last time I read it.

Started book 1, realized I was missing book 7
Should arrive tomorrow. Still need replace 4 & 5 with hardback as I'm not a big fan of paperback.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Currently on Baldacci's last? (7th) in the memory man series featuring Amos Decker. #6 was a bit of a disappointment being pretty far-fetched in places. But so far, I'm really enjoying this.

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
The Vision of the Anointed - Thomas Sowell.

If he was Canadian, they'd send him off for re-education. Highly recommend.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
The Vision of the Anointed - Thomas Sowell.

If he was Canadian, they'd send him off for re-education. Highly recommend.
Mike

100% agree. My favorite of Sowell's; just an outstanding book.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6405 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Just started Viveca Sten's second in her Sandhamn Murders series. Take place on the vacation island off the coast of Stockholm, Sweden.

posted Hide Post
My wife and I just got back from a road trip, and listened to the audiobook of the novel Trust by Hernan Diaz. The book won the 2022 Pulitzer prize for fiction. The story mostly centers around Wall Street financiers in the 1920's and 1930's. Great story, great characters, a major twist you just do not see coming and beautifully written but very accessible, not obtuse prose. HIGHLY recommended.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kho,

Posts: 550 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lithog
posted Hide Post
Almost done with The Bear and the Dragon by Tom Clancy. It is a long one!

---------------------------
"Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger, THE SHOOTER

Posts: 1216 | Location: Memphis,Tenn.,USA | Registered: October 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kho:
My wife and I just got back from a road trip, and listened to the audiobook of the novel Trust by Hernan Diaz. The book won the 2023 Pulitzer prize for fiction. The story mostly centers around Wall Street financiers in the 1920's and 1930's. Great story, great characters, a major twist you just do not see coming and beautifully written but very accessible, not obtuse prose. HIGHLY recommended.

Sounds interesting. I'll look that up.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I picked up a book explaining Qunatum Mechanics written by a well known science writer. I've gotten thru about 60 pages and have come to the realization that Quantum Mechanics is a cruel joke played by God on mathematicians and physicists. It turns out Quantum Mechanics is more philosophy that physics.

I got it because I was interested after reading of some of the earliest physics experiements leading up to the Manhattan Project.

RMD

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rduckwor,

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Finished A Drop Of The Hard Stuff. Ended really abruptly, and unsatisfyingly.

Now on the final Scudder story, the novella A Time To Scatter Stones.

If you don't know, the 10th (or so) book in the series, A Walk Among The Tombstones, was made into a movie starring Liam Neeson as Matt Scudder. I love this movie, so I started reading the novels several years ago. The movie really gets the atmosphere right.

The first books were written in the '70s. Around the sixth or seventh book in the series, I could see a noticable jump in the quality of the writing. Scudder is an alcoholic, and supposedly somewhat mirrors the author, Lawrence Block, along with his sobriety.

The last 2 novels showed a slight dip in quality, but really, for me, only in some of the decisions he made with the endings. Not that the characters are perfect. Sone of them are repulsive or cliched.

But overall, it's been an interesting series.

quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
Switched to A Drop of the Hard Stuff, the final Matt Scudder novel.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6043 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rereading Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged." The last time I read it was in college 40 years ago. I couldn't imagine a world like that actually happening in the United States I grew up in.

Today's society is chillingly similar in so many respects to the dystopian one in this novel that I just want to move to Galt's Gulch right away.

I'm sure most of the members of this website have read this classic novel, but I find myself compelled to mention how prescient it is anyway.

Posts: 110 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: April 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Re-studying Peter Lynch's "One Up on Wall Street".

Also picking at Stewart Cowley's "Spacewreck". Which is one of four books in a set from the late 70s and early 80s that I recently binge bought to recapture some of my childhood.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

After waiting out the library's waiting list, I am finally starting Jack Carr's latest, Only The Dead, James Reece book #6. There is a really nice mention of Bruce Gray, as Reece starts to gear up.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post