SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
On the list for this weekend and next week,

'The Pursuit of the Millenium, Revolutionary Millenarians and Mystical Anarchists of the Middle Ages', Norman Cohn.

'The History and Social Influence of the Potato;, Redcliffe Salaman.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5966 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Finished Leviathan Wakes & on to Caliban's War

Almost done with Abbadon's Gate
Definitely breezing through it faster the 2nd time through

Halfway through Babylon's Ashes
Looking forward to reading the last for the first time. Didn't have them the first time I read through it.

The character shifts between the books & show [Pa, Drummer, Bull] definitely changes it up a bit.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
We've been re-watching the original Bosch series before starting the new season, so I decided to start The Dark Echo, Bosch book 1. I've read several of the Lincoln Lawyer series, but never Bosch.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6059 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Last weekend I started Chasing the Squirrel by Ron Peterson, Jr., "the true story of notorious drug smuggler Wally Thrasher, whose investigation led to the biggest drug bust in Mid-Atlantic United States history in 1986."

God bless America.

Posts: 13517 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Looking forward to reading the last for the first time. Didn't have them the first time I read through it.

The character shifts between the books & show [Pa, Drummer, Bull] definitely changes it up a bit.

Midway through Tiamat's Wrath
Really wish they'd get the last 3 books on screen somehow.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Just finishing up a Mark Twain book and have started Homer’s The Iliad

Posts: 53218 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The Revolutionary, Samuel Adams.
- Stacy Schiff

I think if I have a weakness in American History it’s the Colonial period and the Revolutionary War, this book goes a long ways in beginning to address that weakness. Not sure about the drivers of revolutionary spirit in the other colonies, but in Boston, Massachusetts, Adams stirred the pot for years, much to the dismay of the governor and mayor of Boston, both of which were British sycophants.

Posts: 13297 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finished "Code Red" - perhaps the last in the Mitch Rapp series, and "The Old Man".

I liked the tv series "The Old Man" and read here that the book was different so I was curious to see what was changed. Pretty much everything (except for some names) after the first twenty pages was a different story altogether and I enjoyed it once I stopped trying to compare and relate the written to the celluloid.

Posts: 4985 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Midway through Tiamat's Wrath
Really wish they'd get the last 3 books on screen somehow.

Finished Leviathan Falls last night. Great series.

Now to find a new book/series to get into.

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Finished "Code Red" - perhaps the last in the Mitch Rapp series.

Agree, I just finished it as well. Great book.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4237 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back to the classics…..Dickens’ Oliver Twist and A Christmas Carol.

Posts: 818 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished the latest Jack Reacher book "The Secret". It was okay. Back to the Joe Pickett series from C.J. Box. Then "Cynical Theories: How Activist Scholarship Made Everything about Race, Gender, and Identity - and Why This Harms Everybody" by Helen Pluckrose and James Lindsay.

Posts: 706 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Satanic Verses Mr Rushdie finally finished it, next Shalamar The Clown Mr Rushdie.

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2260 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Finished The Black Echo. Pretty good; a little dated, but it was published in 1992. Had some interesting twists near the end.

Reading The Last Ride, about the murder of a well-known Nashville businessman, Haynie Gurley, in 1968. He was the long-time owner of Capitol Chevrolet.

The first portion of the book has a lot about the man and his participation in the upper crust of Nashville society, and growing up in Nashville (and by no means a part of that upper crust), I find it fascinating. The case is as well.

Gurley was one of 5 children. His parents took the kids to the St. Louis World's Fair in 1910. The father stayed in St. Louis after the fair for business while the mother accompanied the children on the train back to Tennessee. At one stop, the mother exited the train while the children were asleep, and neither the mother or father were ever seen again, thought to have abandoned the children.

Haynie Gurley was a natural salesman, and worked his way up in car dealerships in Nashville until he bought into what became Capitol Chevrolet, which he built into one of the largest Chevy dealers in the south.

One-third of the way through the book so far, and it's pretty clear who the murderer was, but there are several frustrating aspects to the case, and the situation in general, but it's a pretty interesting read.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6059 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I bought a new Kindle Paperwhite (Signature Edition) to replace my ancient 1st generation Paperwhite. The new one is so much better.

While looking around on Amazon’s Kindle books website, I accidentally bought another book: “The Breath of Annubis”. No big problem though; it was only 99¢. But, to my surprise, it’s a good read. Its description: “An archaeology supernatural mystery”. It’s a short story (but not too short).

Another surprise: reading the story, I guessed that its author was a woman. In fact, it’s Dr. Byron Willoughby, presumably a man.

I’ve also started re-reading “The Thin Man”, by Dashiell Hammett. It’s been more than ten years since I last read it, so almost like a new read.

Also “Right Ho, Jeeves”, by PG Wodehouse. One of a long series of “Jeeves” books by that British author. The protagonist is Bertie Wooster, a twit. A wealthy twit, but yes, a twit. Jeeves is his erudite valet, who endeavors to extricate Bertie from his self inflicted predicaments.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8995 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
After finishing The Expanse
Re-reading Memory's Legion, the Expanse novella/short story collection.

Might break down & get a newer Kindle, I'm still using the original with the physical keyboard. Put a new battery in it earlier this year & it still works great, but isn't compatible with things like Kindle Unlimited. Having much less book space, going digital might be the way to go.

Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Finished Geddy Lee's My Effing Life. Starting The Language God Talks by Herman Wouk.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Oh, and something interesting. The murder weapon was a .38 revolver using 200gr bullets. I didn't even know that bullets that big were available for the .38 Special; I looked it up, and sure enough, they were, primarily for law enforcement use.
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
Finished The Black Echo. Pretty good; a little dated, but it was published in 1992. Had some interesting twists near the end.

Reading The Last Ride, about the murder of a well-known Nashville businessman, Haynie Gurley, in 1968. He was the long-time owner of Capitol Chevrolet.

The first portion of the book has a lot about the man and his participation in the upper crust of Nashville society, and growing up in Nashville (and by no means a part of that upper crust), I find it fascinating. The case is as well.

Gurley was one of 5 children. His parents took the kids to the St. Louis World's Fair in 1910. The father stayed in St. Louis after the fair for business while the mother accompanied the children on the train back to Tennessee. At one stop, the mother exited the train while the children were asleep, and neither the mother or father were ever seen again, thought to have abandoned the children.

Haynie Gurley was a natural salesman, and worked his way up in car dealerships in Nashville until he bought into what became Capitol Chevrolet, which he built into one of the largest Chevy dealers in the south.

One-third of the way through the book so far, and it's pretty clear who the murderer was, but there are several frustrating aspects to the case, and the situation in general, but it's a pretty interesting read.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
<snip>
Might break down & get a newer Kindle, I'm still using the original with the physical keyboard.
<snip>

If you do that i suggest that you do these things first:
* Be sure that your old Kindle is registered with Amazon.
* Get the latest software for your old Kindle.

That ought to enable you to get the Clippings (Notes and Highlights) that you’ve created on your old Kindle onto your new Kindle.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8995 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ibexsig
posted Hide Post
I am half way through Cobalt Red: How the blood of Congo powers our lives. You will never look at your smartphone or a lithium battery the same again. The way I understand it is the Congo described in Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad is still happening and in many ways it is worse.

Posts: 317 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: January 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post