SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    You will buy a Glock
Page 1 ... 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 562
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You will buy a Glock Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's a joke, new guy. Take a valium.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GP40X:
Uh, no I won't. I learned to shoot pistol with a 1911...

quote:
Now if they were to make a Glock with a real mans grip angle (18°), I MIGHT and I mean MIGHT consider shooting another Glock. Not bad guns, just not for me.

Polymer 80, PSA Dagger, Zev OZ9, Shadow Systems, BUL Armory Axe, Nomad Defense, SCT, Timberwolf, Grey Ghost Precision all make Glock frames (or complete Glock Gen3 pattern clones) that use 18° grip angle, and those are just the brands I can think of off the top of my head.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve bought and sold several Glocks over the years but there are always a couple in the stable. I usually keep them stock and they run just fine.

Posts: 130 | Location: GA | Registered: April 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to own a Glock model 20 10mm full size. It was OK, not great, not bad. Very reliable and relatively accurate. I sold it and got a SIG 220 in 10mm, which was a much nicer gun but lacked the capacity of the Glock. So, I sold the SIG and recently bought a Springfield Armory XDM in 10mm, which has been totally reliable, more accurate than the Glock and Higher capacity. The XDM looks and feels better than the Glock with the accuracy of the SIG and 16 round magazines.

That is the only Glock I have ever owned in 47 years of firearms ownership, and likely ever will be. I don't see any reason to buy another one. All my other bases are covered by H&K, SA, Volquartsen and Ruger.

It's not that I really dislike Glock, I just think they are pretty plain average pitols and there are better choices out there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vjb.knife1,

Rule Number Nine - Always carry a knife.

Posts: 35 | Registered: June 19, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The prophecy fulfilled

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I grab a Glock with it's stupid 22° grip angle and all I am shooting is the range roof or the sky... The one time I rented one to see how it shot, I got the worst case of Slide Bite I ever had so I just say no.

You remind me of me, back when I first shot a Glock - my newly issued duty Glock 22. I had the same two complaints - steeper grip angle than I was used to, and slide bite. The grip angle issue was fairly easily trainable, but I just had to deal with the slide bite every time I shot it.

That went on for several years, until I discovered there's an easy solution for both of our complaints, an inexpensive product called the Grip Force Adapter. It adds a beavertail to prevent slide bite, and it modifies the grip angle to be a few degrees more vertical. (The factory Glock beavertails on the Gen 4 and Gen 5 only address the slide bite while keeping the factory grip angle, although you can cut down a factory beavertail to mimic the GFA and achieve the same effect.)

It's what helped me to learn to embrace the Glock. Now I own six, plus my issued Glock 17, all with Grip Force Adapters installed. Although I do usually carry a P320C or P365X, on and off duty. Wink

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Just picked this G21 Gen 5 up for my B&T chassis. Now I just need a black threaded barrel. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any available at this time, so looks like I will be waiting a while.

Posts: 2011 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Uh, no I won't. I learned to shoot pistol with a 1911 and can point shoot to almost minute of accuracy. I grab a Glock with it's stupid 22° grip angle and all I am shooting is the range roof or the sky... The one time I rented one to see how it shot, I got the worst case of Slide Bite I ever had so I just say no. Now if they were to make a Glock with a real mans grip angle (18°), I MIGHT and I mean MIGHT consider shooting another Glock. Not bad guns, just not for me.

They've come factory with two choices of beavertail backstrap for nigh on a decade now. Like you, they used to slide track me, but I use the beavertails and they don't now. You might give another one a go. There's more than a few really competent shooters who can shoot better than minute of accuracy who picked up a Glock and made it work fine because they applied the fundamentals. If a 4° difference has you putting rounds in the ceiling, some time with an instructor might benefit you even if you stick with 1911's.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Well, I needed it like a hole in my head… but I picked up a LEO trade in Gen 5, Glock 17 today. The $370 price tag made it hard to pass up. Eek

Some agency is trading in Gen 5s already? That's nuts.

Maybe they are transitioning to P320s...

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kidcop:

Or G45s. Or G47s. Or they're going with red dots for all their officers and trading in their remaining standard G17s for G17 MOSs.

Or perhaps that agency was an early adopter of the Gen 5 and now are hitting the point where they need newer night sights and springs... DaBigBR broke down the reasoning a few years back in another thread:

quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
The realities of department-wide gun replacement coupled with very favorable trade-in deals from manufacturers and distributors make just getting new guns more logical than you might think.

Most agencies have night sights. They last 7-10 years at the most. Replacements cost $75-$100 depending on brand and model (Glock brand night sights are cheap, Trijicon HDs less so). Over the same period, various parts, particularly springs, reach the end of their service lives. Magazines wear out. Etc.

I can probably get new night sights, recoil springs, and magazines for about $150 per gun. I can save about $40 replacing mag springs. I can also trade my 7-10 year old Glock in for a new one at a cost of $165 and have all new everything.

When you factor in armorer time to replace sights, the logistics involved in getting the sights, guns, tools, and people all to a place where the sights can be installed and zeroed, and then extrapolate that out to a state agency with hundreds or even thousands of officers spread over a wide geographical area, it's no wonder that agencies just get new guns. Remember that in MOST agencies, being a firearms instructor or an armorer is a collateral job, so every hour a guy spends putting on sights is an hour he's not on patrol or working on cases.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Well, I needed it like a hole in my head… but I picked up a LEO trade in Gen 5, Glock 17 today. The $370 price tag made it hard to pass up. Eek

We’ve traded a number of our Gen5s in already.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
Just picked this G21 Gen 5 up for my B&T chassis. Now I just need a black threaded barrel. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any available at this time, so looks like I will be waiting a while.

G21s with a TLR-1 were our duty guns before I retired 10 years ago. They were big, fat, ugly things,Smile but we had training days at the range every month, rain, snow, ice, or shine, and I don't recall one ever going down.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
quote:

We’ve traded a number of our Gen5s in already.

Were you guys an early adopter? Mind sharing if you recycled to newer versions or moved to something different eg RDS?

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vgex:

G21s with a TLR-1 were our duty guns before I retired 10 years ago. They were big, fat, ugly things,Smile but we had training days at the range every month, rain, snow, ice, or shine, and I don't recall one ever going down.

AAARRGGHH!!!!!
Long story short- the people that come up with my departments weapons policy are morons.

My department wants to transition to 9mm only one day. Thru attrition they are phasing out .40 and .45.
I'm one of the older generation .45 fans.

They are slowly phasing in the RMR/red-dots for handguns.

I have a 3rd Gen G-21, and would like to get a 5th Gen G-21 MOS. Toss a RMR & a WML on there, and I have a new duty weapon.
no-can-do-buck-a-roo!

If I "need" (as in my original weapon is now non-functional) to replace it, it has to be with another 3rd Gen.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Uh, no I won't. I learned to shoot pistol with a 1911 and can point shoot to almost minute of accuracy. I grab a Glock with it's stupid 22° grip angle and all I am shooting is the range roof or the sky... The one time I rented one to see how it shot, I got the worst case of Slide Bite I ever had so I just say no. Now if they were to make a Glock with a real mans grip angle (18°), I MIGHT and I mean MIGHT consider shooting another Glock. Not bad guns, just not for me.

Can point shoot to almost MOA with a 1911? Hell, I'd love it if I could almost point shoot an HOA (hour of angle) with a pistol. Razz

Posts: 94 | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I bought a Glock 36. I didn't fall in love with it. Besides being lacking asthmatic appeal, the trigger felt like squeezing a used diaper.

Posts: 3 | Location: Hilliard, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MountieFan16:
...lacking asthmatic appeal...
Say what? Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I think squeezing the used diaper made him wheeze?

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have asthma. I appeal to some people. So I certainly have asthmatic appeal. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
This is the first time in the last five years that I’ve visited SIG Forum. I’m glad to see this thread is still on the first page.

In that time I’ve bought and sold several Glocks. I currently have my third G19 and a G20. Thinking about adding a G32.

Lord help me.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post