SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...us-tests/ar-BB12Q90W

Yet another bureaucratic fuck up. But hey, it’s Trump’s fault, dontchaknow.

And the article talks about CDC as being "premier" and other puffery. We know how inefficient and prone to screw ups government agencies and bureaucrats are. Remember the FBI crime lab debacle? I will never understand why the media consistently defers to government agencies as being somehow superior or beyond reproach compared to the private sector. Pull back the curtain and you will probably find all of these "elite" agencies are substandard at best.

Testing did not really get off the ground in this country util private companies were allowed to develop their own tests and scale up production.

Posts: 4725 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
COVIDSTASI. Mad

quote:
Originally posted by opticsguy:
One more

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.breitbart.com/poli...-reopen-economy-may/

Utah officials on Friday outlined plans to reopen the economy, relaxing many of the state’s restrictions by May 1.

Gov. Gary Herbert (R) said on Friday that the state will proceed in opening the economy, following the outline of the Utah Leads Together Plan, crafted by the Economic Response Task Force.

Herbert said that their plan is in “harmony” with what the White House has outlined. He remained optimistic, signaling that key sectors of the economy could slowly begin to adjust back to a state of normalcy by next month.

If coronavirus cases continue to decline, gyms, some dine-in restaurants, and elective surgeries could resume by the beginning of May, he indicated. State parks are already beginning to reopen.

“A lot will depend on what we do individually,” he said. “If the trend continues, I foresee the relaxing of restrictions beginning May 1. At the beginning of May, I would like to open up sit down dining, elective surgeries and gyms”

xxxxxxxxxxx

If the governor has any questions, he could ask Romney to check w the WH. oh, maybe not

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If Democrat Governors try to keep their states in lockdown, and REP governors start to open up without bad consequences, the pressure on the DEM governors will sky rocket.

Posts: 19577 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...us-tests/ar-BB12Q90W

Yet another bureaucratic fuck up. But hey, it’s Trump’s fault, dontchaknow.

And the article talks about CDC as being "premier" and other puffery. We know how inefficient and prone to screw ups government agencies and bureaucrats are. Remember the FBI crime lab debacle? I will never understand why the media consistently defers to government agencies as being somehow superior or beyond reproach compared to the private sector. Pull back the curtain and you will probably find all of these "elite" agencies are substandard at best.

Testing did not really get off the ground in this country util private companies were allowed to develop their own tests and scale up production.

I've said it many times, I'll say it again...
"If it's being done right, it's not being done by the US government."

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37960 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
COVIDSTASI.

Meanwhile, she doesn't have a mask on! Razz Wink

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
If Democrat Governors try to keep their states in lockdown, and REP governors start to open up without bad consequences, the pressure on the DEM governors will sky rocket.

A good point and I can see this happening to some degree...and it backfiring on them like every other stupid thing dems do.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Can you imagine the look on Cuomo's face when he starts hearing from his constituents? "They're open in freakin' Montana!" "They had a lot less cases there." "So did we - that's why you blamed every death that happened on coronavirus! Meanwhile, they're open in Montana and we're shut down in freakin' New Yawk City!"

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
More fear? Asymptomatic people never recover but keep spreading it??????

https://www.clickondetroit.com...spreading-the-virus/

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37960 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
More fear?

Yeah, just fear-mongering. Nothing at all like Typhoid Mary or the fact that some people who have “recovered” from Ebola also continue to harbor the virus in their bodies and it’s believed they could continue to infect people under the proper circumstances.

One thing about a “novel” disease is that sometimes it takes a while before all its characteristics and effects become known—at least to the professional investigators. Some people can suss out everything there is to know or will ever be known by reading an initial vague news report that mentions that a couple of people have died from the disease.

Roll Eyes

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
And we all know that governments and other for-profit organizations never exaggerate the seriousness of an incident or condition, for a laundry list of reasons.

It never happens that we find out in the aftermath of something or other, that the government or some corporation or whatever, provided the public with adulterated or outright false information. Never happens, least of all with something like the Big Kahuna Virus, right?

Now, certainly, if it were to be that the public was being lied to (or provided information by incompetent people) as a normal course of events, well, then, yes, we would have ample reason to distrust everything we're being told.

And we all know that China, above all, is a shining beacon of truth, openness and ethical behavior. And, my God, think of how little we might trust what we're being told about the destruction of the lives of working people, if our government was populated by self-serving bureaucrats. Thank God that's not the way things are, because if they were, well, a substantial portion of the populace might become distrustful.

Thankfully, all is well and we're being told the truth, and no one's out to capitalize on this disaster.

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Just told by my sister in law who is in the volunteer ambulance corp that New York State is forbidding them to perform CPR on people in need. They are to stand down and await instructions as to whether defibbing would be authorized. That is disconcerting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5909 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
Just told by my sister in law who is in the volunteer ambulance corp that New York State is forbidding them to perform CPR on people in need. They are to stand down and await instructions as to whether defibbing would be authorized. That is disconcerting.
So it is OK to let some people die? Just not if they are known to have the Wuhan Flu?

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:
So it is OK to let some people die?

For a variety of reasons, yes, it is.
The most obvious and probably common reason is if trying to keep a patient from dying poses a significant risk of serious harm to the responder.

Some years ago I designed an exercise simulating a situation in which a domestic terrorist shot several people and then barricaded himself in an office building with hostages. The scenario included the fact that some of the severely “injured” were still alive but located close to where the terrorist was in the building. When the firefighters and medics arrived on scene for the exercise, they were briefed on the situation, including the fact that there were seriously injured victims that required urgent evacuation and medical care, but also that the hostage-taker was behind a barricade, but nevertheless nearby. So what did the firefighters and medics do?

Yes, they waited outside the building until the terrorist was neutralized (after a protracted period) and the scene was completely cleared by law enforcement. Had it been a real situation rather than an exercise, it’s very likely that some of the injured would have died.

As an aside, the above situation is being addressed by many SWAT or “crisis response” teams these days. Fairly early on my team had “tactical medics” who were armed, armored, and trained and prepared to enter “hot” zones like the one I set up for the exercise, and that’s becoming more common all the time. During the exercise it was our tactical medics who evacuated injured from the hot zone, but in many situations that wouldn’t have been possible for many law enforcement responders.

We might debate whether the COVID-19 disease is dangerous enough to let people die rather than be exposed to it through CPR, but the principle is clear. Sometimes it’s necessary to let some people die if the risk to responders is great enough.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

Ebola also continue to harbor the virus in their bodies and it’s believed they could continue to infect people under the proper circumstances.

Well,not exactly.. Frown The place it seems to remain and not be eliminated within the male body is in your nuts. Seems there isn't enough blood flow to accomplish that feat. It was suggested that as part of the treatment they just cut them off. Yeah, that one couldn't even be sold to stupid Africans. But let me guess, it was suggested by women who don't like men.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
I don't see where it's a business owner's responsibility to enforce an edict of spacing as long as you don't force people to stand or sit close together. Those people that felt compelled to stick their noses in where they didn't belong should have complained about the customers, not the ice cream stand owners.
Are you a business owner Krazeehorse? If so, have you noticed a trend of .gov pushing more of their responsibilities off onto you? If you know a banker well and catch him after a few drinks and fill him in on the SARs that he is required to file and how he effectively is required to spy on his customers and snitch to the government without alerting the customers if he wants to keep his banking license. While I was visiting the local coffee shop the other day, one of the staffers had shared that they had had local police officers (from any agency that is very proud of their certification to national standards), notice that some customers were “not maintaining appropriate social distance,” and say that they really didn’t want to have to pull licenses to operate ...”. And all the folks I’ve met from that agency are nice folks, and at least some of them like and frequent that shop. However, there seems to be a clear sense that “the rules” however they were created, “are the rules.” and not only do the businesses have to comply with “the rules,” but if they want to continue to be allowed to operate they have to ensure that their customers comply with the rules too.

I think the whole idea of asking the government for permission to do something and having their attitude be, “Hmmm, let’s see if we want to let you do that.” instead of, “How can we help you do what you want to do while staying within the laws?” is a huge wrong approach, but it seems like far too many “civil servants” actually think they are “civil masters.”

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Yet another interesting read... Israeli Professor Shows Virus Follows Fixed Pattern

Maybe the sky isn't really falling...

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Slosig, yes I am and I agree. I don't anticipate a problem at our shop. We work on the cars outside so there is space. We also help maintain city PD and county sheriff vehicles so I think we will be treated old school kindly if some do-gooder complains they saw people standing too closely.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Welcome to what a 'real' governor looks like. An interestingly, its yet another conservative woman. Well how about that.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
The place it seems to remain and not be eliminated within the male body is in your nuts.

Yes, in the testicles (and eyes?). The last report I read about that speculated that it could be transmitted via semen. Has that been determined to be impossible?

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
So it is OK to let some people die? Just not if they are known to have the Wuhan Flu?

WTF?!

Do you know if that is a statewide edict or a local (county or city) protocol?

Posts: 3479 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post