SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
I've thought about a hat with a laser emitter and a gyro-stabilized mirror spinning at high speed to project your personal exclusion zone on the ground as you move about, but I guess this is cheaper (if rather unwieldy).

Posts: 2461 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I am no longer and really never was participating in any of this bullshit. About 7 of my buddies were over yesterday and we did take out pizza and drank beer until about midnight. It gets worse. We didn't practice social distancing we were only 2 to 3 feet apart at times. No masks no gloves. That's right we were acting like normal human beings.

We had a damn fun time. Listening to Johnny Cash and Merle Haggard. It was a real MAGA party.

My freedom doesn't end where other peoples fears begin.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This doesn't affect me since I've never been to or heard of this little outdoor stand, but
this silliness has gone on long enough! Mad Yesterday some prissy little bunch of pansies calling themselves "Concerned Citizens of Clemmons" complained on a local family owned ice cream/snow ball stand to the sheriff's dept. for not making customers stand six feet apart (even if they came in the same car). Can anyone tell me what sense that makes when most are families etc. who have been at home together and in the car ride over there? We have damn idiots and morons running things.
The deputy did not make them close, luckily, but they had to put out markers for people to stand like good little sheep.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I don't see where it's a business owner's responsibility to enforce an edict of spacing as long as you don't force people to stand or sit close together. Those people that felt compelled to stick their noses in where they didn't belong should have complained about the customers, not the ice cream stand owners.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5725 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Normally I would apply Hanlon's razor (Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - or incompetence) but in the case of the Chinese, Im not so sure. Maybe they knew and just dont care.

quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Are the Chinese tests inaccurate due to poor quality or intentionally?

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Article from The Wall Street Journal:
=============================================

Recovered [COVID-10] Patients Test Positive
South Korean doctors believe the virus went dormant and came back.

BY DASL YOON AND TIMOTHY W. MARTIN

SEOUL—More than 160 South Koreans have tested positive a second time for the coronavirus, a development that suggests the disease may have a longer shelf life than expected.

Many had volunteered for re-examination after exhibiting symptoms such as coughing. Others submitted to extra testing on little more than a hunch despite not showing symptoms. So far, these patients—all of whom needed to twice test negative before leaving medical supervision— haven’t spread the virus to others, local health officials say. The initial belief, according to South Korean doctors directly involved with a government review, is that the virus has “reactivated” in the patients, meaning the disease went dormant and came back. The research remains ongoing and inconclusive. The Seoul government’s report will take at least a month to complete, they say.

South Korea is closely watched as an early indicator of how Covid-19 lingers across a population, having flattened its curve of new infections and now contemplating an unwinding of social-distancing measures. The results showing people testing positive a second time could signal a worrisome potential for the virus to linger that could affect health policy.

“It may be that you have to test these recovered people every month for symptoms or viruses,” said Mary Guinan, a former chief scientific adviser to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention director. “Maybe it comes and goes. We don’t know.”

The development could add extra pressure on governments’ testing supply and availability. It also raises the stakes for those who fall ill, as their battle against the disease may last much longer than previously imagined. China, Japan and India have also reported cases of recovered patients testing positive again.

Medical experts are still struggling to understand many aspects of the new coronavirus and the disease it causes, Covid-19. The coronavirus appears to colonize in the human body in two stages. Initially, the upper respiratory passages of the nose and sinus are infected. As the infection progresses and becomes more severe, the virus spreads into the lower respiratory tract and the lungs, where it may linger and become more difficult to detect by testing kits used world-wide.

Prior coronavirus strains, such as MERS and SARS, didn’t have significant cases of reactivation or reinfection, dissipating quickly after the first time a person gets ill, said Deenan Pillay, a virology professor at University College London.

South Korean health officials and advisers, based on their initial review of the results, don’t suspect inaccurate testing to be a culprit. Test-kit makers and laboratories say South Korea’s kits have a 95% sensitivity to the coronavirus.

The World Health Organization, which has been in touch with Seoul officials, acknowledged this week that not all recovered patients appear to have the antibodies to stave off a second infection.

The cases occurred an average of 13.5 days after patients were discharged, according to South Korea’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, lowering the likelihood they crossed paths with the illness for a second time.

South Korean doctors are seeking more data to confidently determine that the patients had tested positive again with the same virus and haven’t infected others. But health officials have refrained from labeling them as “reinfections.”

For weeks, South Korea, with 10,635 confirmed cases as of Friday, was the most hard-hit country other than China. But it slowed infections through widespread testing, aggressive contact tracing and citizens voluntarily staying indoors. Its national legislative election this week drew the highest turnout since 1992.

Until this week, the Seoul government had no national policy requiring discharged virus patients get retested after leaving a medical facility. But recently, local government officials have tested entire facilities such as nursing homes, including recovered coronavirus patients. On Tuesday, local governments received guidelines from South Korea’s CDC advising that discharged patients be under quarantine for 14 days while their symptoms are monitored.

The country’s number of patients testing positive again for coronavirus nearly doubled this week to 162. The first case was a 73-year-old woman who had been discharged on Feb. 22. She called the health clinic five days later, reporting minor symptoms. The patient had remained home after being released. She hadn’t come in contact with anyone else during the five days and remained at home alone, according to health authorities. She was hospitalized after testing positive once again on Feb. 28.

The patient’s immune system had been weakened due to old age, which health officials believe contributed to the second positive result because she didn’t develop enough antibodies.

“It’s clear that we don’t fully understand what it means to have immunity against this virus,” said Keiji Fukuda, a former WHO official who worked on other recent major outbreaks.

LINK

6.4/93.6

“I regret that I am to now die in the belief, that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776, to acquire self-government and happiness to their country, is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be, that I live not to weep over it.”
— Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 47717 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
I don't see where it's a business owner's responsibility to enforce an edict of spacing as long as you don't force people to stand or sit close together. Those people that felt compelled to stick their noses in where they didn't belong should have complained about the customers, not the ice cream stand owners.

This bunch of snowflakes shouldn't be sticking their nose in it at all. Strangers being apart is one thing, but, why the hell should a family have to stand apart individually????? They have all been at home together and in the car, yet that is what they are being made to do...not just stand apart from strangers.
I do agree with you about not making it the owners responsibility.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Michigan Governor Whitmer aims to begin reopening state economy on May 1

https://www.reuters.com/articl...-may-1-idUSKBN21Z2F6

Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer said on Friday she is hopeful the state can begin to reengage parts of its economy beginning on May 1, days after facing a barrage of criticism for her strict measures to combat the new coronavirus.

Later on Friday, President Donald Trump, who has traded jabs with Whitmer over the state’s handling of the outbreak, tweeted: “LIBERATE MICHIGAN!” along with similar tweets naming other states with other Democratic governors.

During a Friday afternoon press conference, Whitmer said she hoped Trump’s tweet wasn’t encouraging more protests, and that anyone with a high profile should be assuring the public that Americans will get through the outbreak.

Whitmer earlier told a webcast town hall with a Detroit business chamber that she recognized people were “desperate to get back to work,” and that no solution would be zero risk.

Michigan would have to be strategic and “methodically” re-engage sectors of the economy in waves based on regions and businesses that are less at risk, she said.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

"she hoped Trump’s tweet wasn’t encouraging more protests"

I bet she does

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:
Sunlight destroys virus quickly, new govt. tests find, but experts say pandemic could last through summer

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sun...ummer-200745675.html

There's an oxymoron if I ever heard one !! Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Michigan Governor Whitmer aims to begin reopening state economy on May 1

https://www.reuters.com/articl...-may-1-idUSKBN21Z2F6

Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer said on Friday she is hopeful the state can begin to reengage parts of its economy beginning on May 1, days after facing a barrage of criticism for her strict measures to combat the new coronavirus.

Later on Friday, President Donald Trump, who has traded jabs with Whitmer over the state’s handling of the outbreak, tweeted: “LIBERATE MICHIGAN!” along with similar tweets naming other states with other Democratic governors.

During a Friday afternoon press conference, Whitmer said she hoped Trump’s tweet wasn’t encouraging more protests, and that anyone with a high profile should be assuring the public that Americans will get through the outbreak.

Whitmer earlier told a webcast town hall with a Detroit business chamber that she recognized people were “desperate to get back to work,” and that no solution would be zero risk.

Michigan would have to be strategic and “methodically” re-engage sectors of the economy in waves based on regions and businesses that are less at risk, she said.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

"she hoped Trump’s tweet wasn’t encouraging more protests"

I bet she does

Looks like all of those deplorables demonstrating struck a nerve. I hope THAT is the catalyst that gets all Americans putting their personal tyrants on notice.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry if repost

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One more

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
These Demo-tard governors in battleground states are signing Trump's reelection results right now.

Whitmer just handed Trump Michigan. Given the margin of Hillary's victory in MN in 2016, I'd say Trump will flip that state too.

And they don't even realize how they help him with their idiotic policies. That's the most delicious part of the Schadenfreude.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
These Demo-tard governors in battleground states are signing Trump's reelection results right now.

Whitmer just handed Trump Michigan. Given the margin of Hillary's victory in MN in 2016, I'd say Trump will flip that state too.

And they don't even realize how they help him with their idiotic policies. That's the most delicious part of the Schadenfreude.

I thought the same and then the Wisconsin Supreme Court election jarred me back to reality!

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:

I thought the same and then the Wisconsin Supreme Court election jarred me back to reality!

If Evers doesn't reverse the May 26th shutdown, the tourist season is finished. My buddy runs a seasonal restaurant in Door Co, and he most likely will not open at all (12 jobs gone). The planning that went into finding employees and housing for them for the summer is down the drain.

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...us-tests/ar-BB12Q90W

Yet another bureaucratic fuck up. But hey, it’s Trump’s fault, dontchaknow.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4018 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by opticsguy:
One more
Shit, I'd like to have a print of that four feet across, that I could afix to the tailgate of my truck. Goddamned lemmings. Sheep. Baaaaaaaaaa. Baaaaaaaaaa

I just came back from the grocery store. I encountered a woman who apparently thinks the distancing is supposed to be sixty feet. Long story short, I encountered her twice in the aisles, where she was in essence fleeing from all human contact.
She got in the line (far) behind me and had a loud phone conversation with a friend, telling her (telling me, actually,) that people are just too stupid to follow the rules. After she finished, I turned to her and said "Ma'am, I know you won't believe me, but you've been brainwashed by the authorities. " I could see her smile under her mask. I said "You won't believe me, and that's because you've been brainwashed. How many people in this country have died of influenza since you first heard about coronavirus?" No answer. "Uh huh. Try to have a nice day while dodging the plague."

Posts: 109158 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...us-tests/ar-BB12Q90W

Yet another bureaucratic fuck up. But hey, it’s Trump’s fault, dontchaknow.

And the article talks about CDC as being "premier" and other puffery. We know how inefficient and prone to screw ups government agencies and bureaucrats are. Remember the FBI crime lab debacle? I will never understand why the media consistently defers to government agencies as being somehow superior or beyond reproach compared to the private sector. Pull back the curtain and you will probably find all of these "elite" agencies are substandard at best.

Testing did not really get off the ground in this country util private companies were allowed to develop their own tests and scale up production.

Posts: 4956 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
COVIDSTASI. Mad

quote:
Originally posted by opticsguy:
One more

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2808 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.breitbart.com/poli...-reopen-economy-may/

Utah officials on Friday outlined plans to reopen the economy, relaxing many of the state’s restrictions by May 1.

Gov. Gary Herbert (R) said on Friday that the state will proceed in opening the economy, following the outline of the Utah Leads Together Plan, crafted by the Economic Response Task Force.

Herbert said that their plan is in “harmony” with what the White House has outlined. He remained optimistic, signaling that key sectors of the economy could slowly begin to adjust back to a state of normalcy by next month.

If coronavirus cases continue to decline, gyms, some dine-in restaurants, and elective surgeries could resume by the beginning of May, he indicated. State parks are already beginning to reopen.

“A lot will depend on what we do individually,” he said. “If the trend continues, I foresee the relaxing of restrictions beginning May 1. At the beginning of May, I would like to open up sit down dining, elective surgeries and gyms”

xxxxxxxxxxx

If the governor has any questions, he could ask Romney to check w the WH. oh, maybe not

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If Democrat Governors try to keep their states in lockdown, and REP governors start to open up without bad consequences, the pressure on the DEM governors will sky rocket.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post