SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Think of all the medicine we buy or used to buy from china!

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13499 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Are the Chinese tests inaccurate due to poor quality or intentionally?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38248 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
The coronavirus is killed by sunlight, heat and humidity after all.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sun...ummer-200745675.html

Posts: 2361 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is how China is getting their economy back on track, by selling poor quality and ineffective medical supplies at super high prices to gullible western countries. After unleashing the virus, they’ll laughing all the way to the bank.

Posts: 3417 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:

Just the stuff we can't get from India.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5725 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:

Just the stuff we can't get from India.
Yeah, but India buys most of their ingredients from China ...

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16644 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
China is proving every day that they are the enemy of the entire world. They seem to be pushing everyone into a situation where war, REAL war is inevitable.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Are the Chinese tests inaccurate due to poor quality or intentionally?

Poor quality likely.
The test kits that Spain purchased and a few other countries worked like pregnancy tests, while easy & convenient, their level of accuracy wasn't as high to begin with compared to going to a lab and having the necessary gear for testing for antibodies AND the actual virus itself.

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
"While the lab results are new, scientists for many weeks have predicted, based on available data on the disease’s spread, that warmer, wetter climates would be less hospitable to the spread of the coronavirus. An early analysis by scientists observed that the virus was spreading more slowly in countries with warmer climates."

If this is holds true as posted in holdems link, South Florida has been setting record breaking heat and humidity levels during the month of April, which of course the media is attributing to the climate change crap, nonetheless, you'd otherwise never hear me saying "I think this heat/humidity is great!" but maybe there is some good after all with how hot it's been.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Fuck China! Mad

They NEED to pay for this, and it needs to hurt....REALLY Bad!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9440 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
The coronavirus is killed by sunlight ....

It would be very interesting to know the ultimate source of that claim.
A few days ago when I researched the question, there were numerous Internet statements ridiculing the idea. At the time I thought that odd, but we all know if it’s on the ’net, it’s gotta be true. Roll Eyes

If there is one advantage to where I live in that regard, it’s that. We don’t have the heat or humidity, but UV levels are higher than at lower elevations.

6.4/93.6

“I regret that I am to now die in the belief, that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776, to acquire self-government and happiness to their country, is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be, that I live not to weep over it.”
— Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 47719 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sunlight destroys virus quickly, new govt. tests find, but experts say pandemic could last through summer

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sun...ummer-200745675.html

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13499 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
It means it's likely even more contagious than thought and and mitigation efforts are pointless. We won't be able to protect the vulnerable very well. My grandparents may have to stay in their house until it burns out or a vaccine is made. Someone with an at risk spouse may be stuck in their house for months still. Someone who is at risk and near retirement may have to or choose to stay out of the workforce during their most important earning years. Lastly we probably trashed our entire economy for nothing at all.

Okay. I see where you are coming from.

I’d contend that the way a lot of the politicians have been approaching it, *everybody* would be stuck in their houses for months still, at least everyone they don’t consider essential like them and their gardeners.

It seems to me that the fact that it is clear that the shutdown is useless is likely to get it stopped sooner. I’d contend that is a good thing.

My sister has been quarantined in her apartment with my niece Lili (who quarantined her Mom once she got out of the hospital weeks before the shutdown talk started). They haven’t been out the apartment since. Lili orders groceries delivered, etc. They do what they have to do to keep her safe.

Is it better that we lock (almost) everyone up instead of having people make their own choices and take care of themselves?

To be clear, as a farmer I’m considered an essential worker, as are my employees. This shutdown craziness isn’t (directly) goring my ox, but I know a lot of people who are suffering due to government decisions that are, in my mind at least, needlessly hurting American to no real benefit.

We need to roll up our sleeves, roll out treatment, and let people get back to work, or at least make their own choice whether they want to or not.

Yes, it is going to suck for the folks you list who might choose to stay out of the workforce for months, maybe the last few months of their prime earning time. Would you argue that it would be better for the government to keep everyone deemed non-essential out of the workforce? Does having it suck for lots more people somehow make it suck less?

ETA: Yes, it sucks that we did a boatload of damage to our economy for little or no benefit. Let’s acknowledge that, realize that folks made the best decision they could with the information they had and forgo lynching them, but stop doing the damage now that we know it isn’t helping.

Posts: 7096 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Slosig....I don't think skins advocated keeping things shut down for a few. I know I don't. But I may be extra careful for a while as I'm in the higher risk group. I may stay in a little longer until I see the numbers going backwards around me.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5725 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Slosig....I don't think skins advocated keeping things shut down for a few. I know I don't. But I may be extra careful for a while as I'm in the higher risk group. I may stay in a little longer until I see the numbers going backwards around me.

I’m sorry if I misunderstood Skins. Mea culpa.

I’d agree that anyone choosing prudence is likely a good idea. I just don’t agree with the government forcing what they think is prudent on folks now.

Initially, when less was known, when it looked a lot scarier, when we didn’t know of good treatment options, maybe. But not now.

Posts: 7096 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
The governor said today that schools in Texas are closed until next year.....

Dunno what that means for the Tomminator...maybe they will condense the stuff he really needs and shovel it into him during the first few weeks of school next year.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:

I’m sorry if I misunderstood Skins. Mea culpa.

I’d agree that anyone choosing prudence is likely a good idea. I just don’t agree with the government forcing what they think is prudent on folks now.

Initially, when less was known, when it looked a lot scarier, when we didn’t know of good treatment options, maybe. But not now.

To clarify it's going to suck for people that have to/choose to stay isolated. I still won't be able to see some of my family, but at the same time we need to get back to work. Some people will slip through the cracks while we are making arbitrary closures and payments to people. It may not be the Spanish Flu, but there are people that will have to act like it is. It would be great to find out it's a lot less deadly for the vast majority, but there are many that will still be stuck at home. On chemo but would normally have no problems, you're fucked. Are any of your employees immunocompromised or have a child or parent living in the house that is? It's a catch 22. For most it's good news, for some they are still stuck.

In the end, any action open it up/shut it down likely leaves many still screwed. Doesn't change a thing for my grandparents all four (remarried) are over 83 years old. People will still die, even if we shut it down, open it up. Worst part is that shutting it down didn't do a thing but postpone the people dying, the only benefit would have been not overloading hospital system, but that was only an issue for NYC. I really hope the sacrifice was worth it, but it may not have been, save for heavily populated areas.

Either way, it being less deadly or no symptoms for most is a net positive. I hope we see more information confirming it's not as deadly as initially thought, but many are still left screwed.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21145 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Well, one positive to delaying getting infected, even for older / immuno-compromised folks, is that more is known about treatment options. It may be that those folks if/when they become exposed can be treated early with the hydroxychloroquine/zinc/Azithromycin cocktail and prevented from getting really sick. Or if they are hospitalized, treated with Remdesivir and prevented from dying of this disease. Who knows, if they can put it off long enough, there may be better treatments or a vaccine.

You’re right, it isn’t perfect news, but I’m hopeful that it’s progress.

Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Iowa's governor shut down schools for the rest of the year today but also waived the law that school can't start until the end of August after the State Fair (no kidding, that is actually a law in Iowa). So maybe school can start earlier this summer.

Also, my mom's nursing home has its first case. They have been on extensive lockdown very early. Security blocking the entrance and requiring temperatures and questionnaires to even enter the property and no visits unless on hospice. Who knows how it started.

Posts: 2605 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Political Art from Hong Kong this week, by Wang Liming (aka Rebel Pepper), a political cartoonist from China who lives and works in Japan in order to speak and work without repercussions from the CCP.

The person who posted the poster in Hong Kong (not the aftist, someone else) was arrested and fined and the poster taken down. The details of the cartoon itself, as explained elsewhere, were:

quote:
So the first one on the left with the word “人民领袖” (it means the leader of the people). It’s the photo of himself with steamed stuffed bun, it was a meme with origianted from him being seen eating those in a shop(慶豐包子舖), he was called steamed bun probably as a way to mock him being fat. The second with 1968, the year he graduated from primary school, he was being sent to GuiZhou (it was during the cultural revolution and his father was oppressed). He claimed at that time he can carry 200斤(~100kg) of stuff in his back. The third one is probably an edit of the Chinese National Emblem, to represent that many people were killed by the regime.

Interesting seeing it all from the perspective of someone else over there.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post