SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Netanyahu: We are at war. Israel attacked by Hamas.
Page 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 159
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Netanyahu: We are at war. Israel attacked by Hamas. Login/Join 
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

If Israel finds itself backed into a corner, they may very well use nuclear weapons on Iran, and though I support Israel's right to defend itself and survive, Israel will face worldwide condemnation if their hand is forced.

Truth is, Israel faces world wide condemnation no matter what they do. I have a feeling they really no longer give a fuck what the world thinks.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4926 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
disturbing post at CTH

https://theconservativetreehou...s-begun/#more-252223

Today, the sketchy Pentagon statements about the USS Carney are starting to make sense. The initial suspicions within the originating statements are well founded. Today, the Pentagon is admitting the events in the Red Sea were “much more significant” than originally outlined.

details at link

A US warship that intercepted drones and missiles near the coast of Yemen on Thursday encountered a larger and more sustained barrage than was previously known, shooting down 4 cruise missiles and 15 drones over a period of 9 hours, according to a US official familiar with the situation.

The USS Carney, an Arleigh-Burke class destroyer that traversed the Suez Canal heading south on Wednesday, intercepted the missiles and drones as they were heading north along the Red Sea. Their trajectory left little doubt that the projectiles were headed for Israel, the official said, a clearer assessment than the Pentagon’s initial take.

A sustained barrage of drones and missiles targeting Israel from far outside the Gaza conflict is one of a series of worrying signs that the war risks escalating beyond the borders of the coastal enclave.

[…] On Thursday, Pentagon press secretary Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder said the missiles were fired by Iranian-backed Houthi forces in Yemen and were launched “potentially towards targets in Israel.” At the briefing, Ryder said three land-attack cruise missiles and “several” drones.

Some of the projectiles were traveling at altitudes that made them a potential risk to commercial aviation when they were intercepted, the US official said. The drones and missiles were intercepted with SM-2 surface-to-air missiles launched from the USS Carney.

US interceptions of Houthi launches are exceedingly rare, making the timing of this incident, as tensions rise in Israel, more significant. In October 2016, the USS Mason deployed countermeasures to stop an attempted attack in the Red Sea targeting the Navy destroyer and other ships nearby. In response, the US fired sea-launched cruise missiles at Houthi radar facilities in Yemen

Posts: 19711 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
And unless Iran has the best poker face in all of history, they do not possess the means to retaliate against a nuclear attack on their country. I do not know the remaining player's positions well enough to predict reactions in the aftermath. Who would strike back at Israel if they nuke Iran? That's mostly a rhetorical question and I don't see any nuclear-armed nation coming to the defense of the religious fanatics in Iran.

If Israel deploys nuclear weapons on Iran, I predict a global wakeup call; hey, whadda ya know? Reality came to breakfast, and now there's nuclear fallout in the atmosphere for the first time in decades, and millions are dead in a heartbeat, and everyone will be thinking at that point- "What about me and mine"?

And then all this fucking "Death to Israel" shit will make those who were chanting it in the streets sick to their stomachs at the realization of what they've brought about.

If the bomb goes off, everyone- that is everyone on both sides will have to pause and think about where we are, and maybe that it's time to cut it out.

Posts: 108316 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the shit hits the fan Israel will take everyone in the middle east with them.

The Samson Option (Hebrew: ברירת שמשון, b'rerat shimshon) is the name that some military analysts and authors have given to Israel's deterrence strategy of massive retaliation with nuclear weapons as a "last resort" against a country whose military has invaded and/or destroyed much of Israel.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13433 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
I believe para's observation is very sobering.
Israel cannot have a truce with a false religon.

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.
He's never been a straight shooter.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
quote:

If Israel finds itself backed into a corner, they may very well use nuclear weapons on Iran, and though I support Israel's right to defend itself and survive, Israel will face worldwide condemnation if their hand is forced.

Truth is, Israel faces world wide condemnation no matter what they do. I have a feeling they really no longer give a fuck what the world thinks.

I think this has been their attitude since the birth of the modern nation of Israel. Their enemies tried to snuff them out the day they were founded and have never stopped.

Posts: 34163 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The saving grace in all of this is that even the psychopaths of the Iranian regime retain enough rationality to understand Israels threat that if Hezbollah joins the war, Iran is fucked.

Down this way, we have an expression: "Rattlesnakes don't commit suicide."

But, the reality in the long-term is this: Humans are high-order social primates who now possess god-like technologies, and sooner or later, we're going to get around to demonstrating that despite all our posturing, we're nothing more than savage gorillas. Hopefully, we can put the party off for a few more decades.

Posts: 108316 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/article-769555

In Israel's ongoing effort to track down all those involved in the brutal terrorist attack that left more than 1,400 victims, the Shin Bet has established a new unit named Nili, an acronym in Hebrew that translates as "The Eternity of Israel Will Not Lie".

This unit is dedicated to hunting down and eliminating every individual who played a role in the massacre in the western Negev settlements two weeks ago.

This force was specifically set up to target members of Nukhba (a special commando unit within Hamas's military wing) who infiltrated Israel, executed mass killings in various villages and IDF outposts, and subsequently returned to the Gaza Strip.

The members of this new organization function independently from other Command and Control units that are focused on neutralizing strike cells and high-ranking terrorists. This particular mission is distinct, with the organization encompassing both field operatives and intelligence personnel.

Last Saturday, Ali Qadhi, a commander within the Hamas Nukhba force and a key player in the attack on the border area, was taken out. The following day saw the elimination of another leading figure, Billal Al Kedra, who spearheaded the lethal raid in Nirim.

Shin Bet - Israel’s internal security service

https://www.breitbart.com/midd...hamas-terror-attack/

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
quite a bit of info up at CNN

https://www.cnn.com/middleeast...-10-21-23/index.html

The Israeli military said it launched an airstrike early Sunday local time against a mosque in the West Bank city of Jenin to thwart what it called "an imminent terror attack."

Israel Defense Forces spokesperson Lt. Col. Jonathan Conricus told CNN the IDF had new intelligence that "suggested there was an imminent attack coming from a joint Hamas and Islamic Jihad squad" making preparations from an underground command center in the Al-Ansar mosque.

"In a joint IDF and ISA activity, the IDF conducted an aerial strike on an underground terror compound in the Al-Ansar mosque in Jenin; The mosque contained a terror cell of Hamas and Islamic Jihad terror operatives who were organizing an imminent terror attack," the statement said.

-----------------------------------

Independent analysis by the Canadian Forces Intelligence Command indicates with "a high degree of confidence that Israel did not strike the Al-Ahli hospital" in Gaza City on October 17, according to a statement released by Canada's Department of National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces Saturday.

"This assessment is informed by an analysis of the blast damage to the hospital complex, including adjacent buildings and the area surrounding the hospital, as well as the flight pattern of the incoming munition," the statement added.

-----------------------------------

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) has dropped flyers in the Sabrah neighborhood of Gaza City that urgently warn residents to evacuate to the south or face the possibility of being considered "a partner for the terrorist organization,” according to a CNN translation.

The flyer reads in Arabic:

Urgent warning!
To the residents of Gaza Strip
Your presence north of Wadi Gaza puts your life in danger
Everyone who choses not to evacuate from the north of the strip to the south of Wadi Gaza might be considered as a partner for the terrorist organization.
Israel Defense Forces

The IDF confirmed it had dropped the flyers in a statement, adding there was "no intention to consider those who have not evacuated from the affected area of fighting as a member of the terrorist group."

The IDF "treats civilians as such, and does not target them," the statement said.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I first heard the term NILI and its meaning in our trip to Israel in 2009. The wife in the couple who led our tour is Sephardic Jew by birth, family fled to Israel so she is fluent in Hebrew and a font of knowledge about Israel’s history. She took us to many sites related to the 20th century events of Palestine, the Israel to be.
quote:

Posts: 18204 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Michigan State apologizes for Adolf Hitler image on Spartan Stadium scoreboard.

https://www.mlive.com/spartans...dium-scoreboard.html

Posts: 20273 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Firstly, I'm not sure what that story has to do with this thread. And secondly, who gives a shit that there's a pic of Hitler? It was a trivia question for Pete's sake. My goodness.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30690 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
obama and biden have a lot to answer for

The Commander of the “Quds Force” of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps, Brigadier General Ismail Qa'ani has reportedly arrived in Syria today in order to “Supervise” the Pro-Iranian Militias which are claimed to be on High Alert along the Western Syrian Border with Israel.

posted Hide Post
Syria: Damascus and Aleppo airports targeted by strikes attributed to Israel

https://www.i24news.tv/en/news...attributed-to-israel

The Syrian airports were reportedly damaged due to a real fear that advanced weapons and enemy forces would arrive from Iran and Iraq

Airstrikes damaged the runways of at least two airports in Syria, as well reports of one dead and another wounded, according to local media, who attributed the strikes to Israel.

The Lebanese Al-Mayadeen, a media channel affiliated with the Hezbollah terrorist organization, reported that Aleppo airport was hit by four missiles, and a civilian worker was killed and another wounded at the Damascus airport.

A military source quoted by the official Syrian news agency SANA said that material damage to the airports' runways had put them out of action, adding that Israel "simultaneously attacked the airports in Damascus and Aleppo.”

The airstrikes were the most extensive attributed to the Israeli Air Force since the beginning of the war. It included more munitions than what was dropped on 100 Hamas targets in the Gaza Strip, between Saturday and Sunday, according to Ynet.

The Israeli report also indicated that the runways at several airports throughout Syria were damaged due to a real fear that advanced weapons and enemy forces would arrive from Iran and Iraq via Lebanon and Syria.

This is the second time since the start of the war that Israel attacked both airports simultaneously. Ten days ago, the Syrian radio station Sham FM had reported that the first attack had been carried out on several sites in Syria due to the movement of advanced weapons to Lebanon.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a London-based organization identified with the Syrian opposition, had reported that both airports had been taken out of service and there were no casualties in the attack.

Posts: 12874 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who’s Ynet and do they normally make confusing claims? If at least 2 airports were attacked, and Aleppo took 4 missiles, does that mean Damascus airport plus others got hit with 97 or more? Ynet says the airport attack used more munitions than 100 Gaza hits, and assuming at least one munition per hit in Gaza (at a minimum), so how extensive was the airport attack, really?

Posts: 1206 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
Who’s Ynet and do they normally make confusing claims? If at least 2 airports were attacked, and Aleppo took 4 missiles, does that mean Damascus airport plus others got hit with 97 or more? Ynet says the airport attack used more munitions than 100 Gaza hits, and assuming at least one munition per hit in Gaza (at a minimum), so how extensive was the airport attack, really?

Ynet is an Israeli news agency.

They may be referring to poundage/magnitude of explosives in the munitions, not the number of individual bombs/missiles.

Also keep in mind, the statement has been translated at least once, and edited at least once by someone who very well may not know anything about weaponry. So who knows the actual intent and verbiage of the original statement.

Posts: 32697 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who would strike back at Israel if they nuke Iran? That's mostly a rhetorical question and I don't see any nuclear-armed nation coming to the defense of the religious fanatics in Iran.

Great post and I agree. I think Iran knows this (how could they not, being Shia surrounded by Sunni), which is why if they produce a weapon I believe their chances of using it against Israel in a “strike first” situation are high. Militarily, with a direct threat to their regime and a lack of concern about civilians, it’s their most logical play.

Purchasing one from North Korea seems possible too, although I’d guess they would have already done it if they could.

Truly, this is a very dangerous situation which has developed and I think has a greater potential to escalate than the war in Ukraine. The Biden State Department has unforgivably resourced the Iranians, who have facilitated these events.

Posts: 2423 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/article-769555

In Israel's ongoing effort to track down all those involved in the brutal terrorist attack that left more than 1,400 victims, the Shin Bet has established a new unit named Nili, an acronym in Hebrew that translates as "The Eternity of Israel Will Not Lie".

This unit is dedicated to hunting down and eliminating every individual who played a role in the massacre in the western Negev settlements two weeks ago.

That article’s description is not really accurate, I looked up “Nili” and this is what it actually means:

Nili is an acronym which stands for the Hebrew phrase from the First Book of Samuel "Netzah Yisrael Lo Yeshaker" (1 Samuel 15:29) which translates as "the Eternal One of Israel will not lie".

Meaning the God of Israel will not let them ultimately fall. Just like He promised Abraham.

Posts: 34163 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
https://www.newsmax.com/world/...dkt_nbr=010102ia8tm3

US Beefs Up Mideast Military Assets as Israel Pounds Gaza

Concerns about the risk of the Israel-Hamas war mushrooming into a wider Middle East conflict rose on Sunday with the U.S. sending more military assets to the region as Israel pummeled Gaza anew and hit Hamas supporters in Lebanon and Syria.
Gaza's Health Ministry said 266 Palestinians, including 117 children, had been killed by Israeli air strikes in the past 24 hours in the enclave, to which Israel laid "total siege" after a deadly mass infiltration into Israel by Hamas gunmen on Oct. 7.

In neighboring Syria - where Hamas's main regional backer Iran has a military presence - Israeli missiles hit Damascus and Aleppo international airports early on Sunday, putting both out of service and killing two workers, Syrian state media said.

Along Israel's northern border with Lebanon, where Iran-backed Hezbollah has skirmished increasingly with Israeli forces in support of Hamas, the Israeli military said it struck several Hezbollah targets overnight, including what it called a compound from which a missile had been fired at one of its drones.

cont...

U.S. BEEFING UP MILITARY PRESENCE

U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said Washington would send more military assets to the Middle East in support of Israel and strengthen the U.S. defense posture in the region following "recent escalations by Iran and its proxy forces" - a reference to Hezbollah and Palestinian Islamist militants.

A Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system and additional Patriot air defense missile system battalions will be sent to the region and more troops put on standby, Austin said.

Washington has already deployed a significant amount of naval power to the Middle East in recent weeks, including two aircraft carriers, their support ships and about 2,000 Marines.

cont...

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38947 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IDF tank accidentally hits Egyptian military post near border

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-769649

An IDF tank accidentally fired at an Egyptian military post near the Kerem Shalom crossing on Sunday afternoon, according to the IDF Spokesperson's Unit.

The incident is under investigation. "The IDF regrets the incident," said the IDF Spokesperson's Unit.

The spokesperson for the Egyptian military responded to the incident on Sunday, stating "During the ongoing clashes in the Gaza Strip today, one of the Egyptian border watchtowers was accidentally hit by fragments of a shell from an Israeli tank, resulting in minor injuries to some border watchmen. The Israeli side expressed its regret over the unintentional incident immediately after it occurred and the circumstances of the incident are being investigated."

Posts: 12874 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post