SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How are you fixed for ammunition?
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How are you fixed for ammunition? Login/Join 
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then lets add it all together for a total of maybe $25000 bucks...
I mean, if you "just" started. I'd be willing to bet most that have "decent" quantities are like me and have been buying a LOT longer than the last year or so. Razz

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6308 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I pity any man trying to stockpile ammunition right now. I spent more than 15 years getting quantities up. I'm confident that this is not uncommon.

Posts: 108613 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
I am no where near that, mostly due to the California laws and the inability to directly receive ammo from suppliers. This results in very high prices.

If you get an 03 FFL (collector of curios and relics, $33, good for three years) and a CA DOJ COE (certificate of eligibility, $75, good for one year) you can legally buy online and have it shipped to your house, just like the pre-ammo ban days.

The only problem is that maybe a third of online retailers refuse to deal with CA (SGAmmo comes to mind. Btw, great folks and yet another good reason to escape this communist “utopia”), maybe another third will ship it to CA, but only to bricks and mortar gun stores, leaving you about a third of the online market. Use ammoseek.com to find the deals, go to the website’s contact page and ask them if the follow the exemption and how to upload your docs. It takes a little more effort, but residents of Kommiefornia still can buy online.

Email is in my profile. If you shoot an email I’ll send the list I’ve built of who will and won’t ship direct. You should still check, but it will give you a headstart.

Posts: 6981 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
I even have about 10k in .45 and I don't even own a .45 caliber weapon. Decided a few years ago to stick to 9mm, 223, 12 gauge and 22LR for the most part. Decently stocked in 308, 30-30 and 357 magnum but probably should get some more. Sierra Match King is expensive.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5929 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Y'all apparently are more organized than I am...We moved 5 years ago, and I swore at that time I had more than enough to last a lifetime - including 223 mags...I don't shoot as often as I used to or should, so it hasn't appreciably changed.

I could be talked into burning into that inventory, if say the bird brothers decided to hold another invitational. Hint! Wink

I have tons of the 223 and 9mm for the zombie apocalypse and an adequate supply of .38 for your daily run of the mill bad guys. For fun, and because there was a time .22 was impossible to get, I have two lifetimes supply!

Posts: 1839 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mjlennon:
Y'all apparently are more organized than I am...We moved 5 years ago, and I swore at that time I had more than enough to last a lifetime - including 223 mags...I don't shoot as often as I used to or should, so it hasn't appreciably changed.

I could be talked into burning into that inventory, if say the bird brothers decided to hold another invitational. Hint! Wink

I have tons of the 223 and 9mm for the zombie apocalypse and an adequate supply of .38 for your daily run of the mill bad guys. For fun, and because there was a time .22 was impossible to get, I have two lifetimes supply!

You know 45CAL is just up the street from you...

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39822 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I started to increase my buying around the 2016 election.

I feel secure in my totals.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39013 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
I even have about 10k in .45 and I don't even own a .45 caliber weapon .

You really know how bring a tear to a man's eye. Smile

Posts: 23104 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I pity any man trying to stockpile ammunition right now. I spent more than 15 years getting quantities up. I'm confident that this is not uncommon.

I am still shooting ammo from the 2012(?) election.

I do not regret laying in deep when ammo was cheap.

And, since then, California has made ammo a background checked affair--which makes price shopping a burdensome process.

Posts: 13059 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
quote:
You know 45CAL is just up the street from you...
Yes, we met one afternoon for lunch with V-tail. Had some BBQ as I recall. Both awesome folks; I'd be honored to break bread with them again anytime.

Posts: 1839 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
I started to increase my buying around the 2016 election.

I feel secure in my totals.

This is the boat I'm in right now, except 9mm practice ammo. The FedEx guy hated me for a good period. Need to start stacking the practice stuff because I plan on getting back into regular shooting and matches again in the spring.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20992 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
on an inflation adjusted scale, 9mm WWB is about as cheap as it's been in 15+ years if you look at some of the deals out there.

I'm stocking up again...

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11023 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

All for ramping up on the 6.5cm.

I'm not a rifle guy, but this has to be a typo?? Or maybe not. Eek

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11023 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:

Not a typo, he owns a cannon, just don't tell the Feds Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8444 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Germans operating a captured Italian 6.5cm mountain artillery piece during WW2:

Posts: 32798 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Creedmoor, centimeter, potato, tomato... Razz

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6308 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
quote:

Creedmoor, centimeter, potato, tomato... Razz

Didn't know the proper preferred pronoun . Razz

Abbreviations are an abomination. Eek

Posts: 23104 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I really don't think prices and availability are bad now. There are lots of places with Black Friday sales going on. One local place is closed today to prepare for the onslaught on Friday. They are blowing out 9mm and 5.56 and have pallets and pallets on hand. I drove past them on Black Friday a few years ago and the line went on forever. I'd rather pay $20 more and just grab it the week before, which I did. I grabbed a bunch more 30 rd. PMags today and will pounce when the next good ammo deal with free shipping email comes in.

Posts: 3619 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I got a bunch of P-Mags today too. I have a great collection of quality metal and Magpul mags for my AR's along with a few spare bolt carrier groups and other misc springs and parts. I can keep on firing that platform for quite a long time with what I have in rifles, mags, ammo, and parts.
Same for my pistols. Having a large collection of full sized mags loaded with HST's and many thousands of rounds of ball ammo for training I can keep shooting at my current pace for many years without having to buy anything.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:

Illinois snuck that law in restricting mags and banning AR/AK's with no warning, so I'm stuck with a minimum number of mags. I managed to pick up a G47MOS, but I don't have any standard mags for it unless the Supreme Court steps in and saves us.

So, you can’t drive to another state and acquire said magazine?pay cash…how can they ever enforce that?

Posts: 1368 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post