SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How are you fixed for ammunition?
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How are you fixed for ammunition? Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I posted earlier in this thread that I stacked it deep when it was cheap. I have a nice stash of defensive ammo and nice stash of training ammo, but realized I was low on training ammo for my favorite pistol caliber. Blue Santa delivered today and the deficiency is now fixed.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23714 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Para, thank you for these timely threads, sir.

I started making a serious effort to put back standard calibers during the B.O. administration. I'm in pretty good shape on the common calibers. Except for my go-bags and HD setup, I keep everything else stored in marked ammo cans inside safes so I can grab and go.

Thanks to this great thread, I did an inventory yesterday of everything I had. Something stuck out: I should just consolidate to my 9mm pistols, 5.56 rifles, 12 gauge pump, 10/22 and bolt .308. I'm an armorer on 3 of the 5, my gear is for work and self-defense, so it just makes sense to me.

I felt good about my overall stockpiles until I read this thread. I'm doubting myself now, but I'm out of secure storage space. I could use some more .308. My local Walmart has a good supply of Federal .308 in both Fusion and standard SP, so I'll probably grab some from there soon, but right now, my focus is on AR spare parts and a few more 5.56 mags.

Yesterday, I spent about $160 at BCM web store on a commercial lower parts kit, SOPMOD bolt upgrade kit, firing pins, cam pins, and FP retaining pins. I ordered a spare BCM BCG today. I have plans for a Wolff AR spring pack, gas tubes, and gas tube roll pins. Maybe a spare Colt or BCM bolt.

I've been vigilant about buying mags for a long time now, and I'm solid, but next payday, I'm going grab a few more 5.56 mags and the Helikon-Tex satchel that Para recommended. Heckuva bag.

Posts: 1115 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I’m good on ammo, defensive and practice, it this thread promoted me to look at my spare parts. That has been remedied. Thanks!

Posts: 2163 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beanhead:
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:

Illinois snuck that law in restricting mags and banning AR/AK's with no warning, so I'm stuck with a minimum number of mags. I managed to pick up a G47MOS, but I don't have any standard mags for it unless the Supreme Court steps in and saves us.

So, you can’t drive to another state and acquire said magazine?pay cash…how can they ever enforce that?

I'm only about an hour south of the Cheddar Curtain (Wisconsin) but I'm told the gun shops there are hesitant if they see an Illinois license plate in the parking lot. Further from Iowa. I'm open to suggestions, though.

The general feeling here is that the law won't pass constitutional muster, but most likely won't be heard until spring. In the meantime, my LGS is holding the three mags that shipped with the gun. I'm SOL, it seems.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9386 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tequila with lime
posted Hide Post
I have quite a bit. I don't have enough. I just bought more.

That's the story of everyone here.

...need to stock up on spare parts...

Thank you President Trump.

Posts: 8366 | Location: KS, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Illinois snuck that law in restricting mags and banning AR/AK's with no warning, so I'm stuck with a minimum number of mags. I managed to pick up a G47MOS, but I don't have any standard mags for it unless the Supreme Court steps in and saves us.

So, you can’t drive to another state and acquire said magazine?pay cash…how can they ever enforce that?

I'm only about an hour south of the Cheddar Curtain (Wisconsin) but I'm told the gun shops there are hesitant if they see an Illinois license plate in the parking lot. Further from Iowa. I'm open to suggestions, though.

The general feeling here is that the law won't pass constitutional muster, but most likely won't be heard until spring. In the meantime, my LGS is holding the three mags that shipped with the gun. I'm SOL, it seems.

email sent

Posts: 1365 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:

email sent

Replied, with thanks.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9386 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:

Where I live there's supposed to be a 15 rnd limit but I know several patriotic dealers and online sellers who said fuck that and sell them anyway.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You guys aren't helping any of us with this shit. We don't flaunt laws here, nor do we talk about others gun owners or dealers doing it.

I started this thread to discuss legally-owned ammunition and spare parts.

Posts: 109261 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
My e-mail reply to Some Shot was in line with that.

On another note, I just received the 6-mag pouches you told me about a couple pages back. Then, I only wanted one, but by the time I ordered, I decided to get two! Wink

Somebody mentioned that the snaps wouldn't work with plastic mags, but they do work with my all-metal ones that I got last year. It's a tight fit, so I filled all the pockets and snapped them, thinking the material will stretch in due time.

I got them on Amazon, didn't have to pay shipping since we've got Prime.

So, thanks for that recommendation, as well as the sling you recommended last year.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: newtoSig765,

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thank you, but wasn't referring to you.

posted Hide Post
OK, thanks

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

posted Hide Post
I feel good on ammo ( plinking and premium) and mags ( pmags and USGI) for the AR’s I own.

How many lower parts kits /firing pins and bolts or bolt/parts should I maintain ? 1 per rifle ? Ive never had anything break except for a few rifles I’ve had to put anti walk pins on some lowers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ElToro,

Posts: 4988 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rstaton
posted Hide Post
I have approx 10k of 556 and 9mm. Around 4k of 45. I definitely need more 308. I started stocking up when you suggested years back. Thanks again. All carbines have a good quality sling. I need more mag carrier type bandeleros, so i just took care of that. Para, on a side note, would you suggest body armor also?

Thank you

Posts: 163 | Registered: September 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rstaton:
Para, on a side note, would you suggest body armor also?
If you feel the need, and if you can afford it and have the body strength to wear it and the stamina to move about with it.

posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
Hey, take it easy on us old guys! I got tired just reading about it! Smile

BTW, I was thinking about body armor over the weekend, too. Not so much now.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I’m pretty much good on brass cased ammunition… even in 7.62X39 (thank you NORMA and Bellom) and I NEVER leave any “orphan” brass laying on the cold, cold ground (that’s just cruel)…it comes home with me…I’m really good on necessary reloading necessities (primers and powders as well as raw lead and powder coating materials)…it might be a little bit of work to produce ammo, but after 20+ years of Cowboy Action Shooting…it’s just the norm Wink…and I just say ‘No’ to body armor Wink…unless it’s made from helium!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Para, thanks to a similar thread you posted during probably the Obama administration after a shortage had relaxed, I stocked up.QUOTE]

Para’s advice in that thread has been my mantra ever since…wise words to live by Razz Razz Razz

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
With the free shipping deals I found on Black Friday, I put in orders for 3.4K 9mm., and 2k 5.56mm.

It was a chunk of change, but I could just stash it as the "leave it alone" quantity.

Really, I haven't been a shooter in the last ten years or so. Which makes my version of lifetime supply a lot different than many here. Not that it's a good thing, but different anyway.

Posts: 7507 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I'm feeling this thread. I did pick up another 1K 9mm and I'll probably try to add some 223 to the mix over the next couple months.

I have tons of magazines but I might downsize my collection a bit to add some more ammo and streamline some things.

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6643 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post