SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How are you fixed for ammunition?
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How are you fixed for ammunition? Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I consider myself the place to bug out to.
We're fixed pretty good on all calibers.
Especially 22LR. Do not discount the 22LR. It easily takes small game as well as two legged ones.

It’s quiet too. Crazy quiet when you run good subsonic ammo through a bolt action with a muffler attached. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21213 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I have enough, enough to barter with too

Posts: 5509 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I would need training. My goal would be how to not get shot before I ran out in the first wave.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8906 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I'm in pretty good shape after heeding the advice given here in the last few years.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16628 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
In 5.56 I have a mix of M193 (55-gr. FMJ) and M855 (62.gr. "green tip" penetrator), about 75/25%. Seems prudent.

Posts: 28586 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Ammo wise I’m ok and have been fortunate over the years to obtain professional training for 15 years before I retired…..hopefully will never need to tap either resource but it is peace of mind knowing I have that

Posts: 3157 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
A year and one-half after losing all my reloading equipment and supplies to a flood … I am just now starting to reload again.
Having to buy primers at these prices really sucks, but am doing so in quantities of 1,500-5,000.
Factory ammo procured while we were rebuilding will be sufficient as I spend the winter weekends reloading.

Posts: 3855 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I'm "that guy", it would appear, I have 70 rounds of 5.56 (30 55 gr and 40 62 gr LAP) 200 rounds of 9 m/m, a mixture of FMJ and HP. I also have about 800 rounds of .22 LR, however I don't own a firearm chambered in that caliber. It's primarily a matter of discretionary income, which I just don't have.

Posts: 12231 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
pretty quiet when running SV thru a nice target 22, and if you have some Colibri's, they sound silenced and are quite accurate at short range thru said target rifles

quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I consider myself the place to bug out to.
We're fixed pretty good on all calibers.
Especially 22LR. Do not discount the 22LR. It easily takes small game as well as two legged ones.

It’s quiet too. Crazy quiet when you run good subsonic ammo through a bolt action with a muffler attached. Big Grin

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10548 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While having enough for recreational purposes is one thing ( not a week goes by I don’t shoot at least a couple hundred predominantly 22LR)
As far as having to repel boarders goes, you will not need as much ammo as you might imagine. In 2 combat tours one in Iraq and one in Afghanistan I burned up a whole magazine and a half ( probably less) and I understand that is a totally different scenario.
A typical military “combat load” ( seven AR mags and 3 pistol mags) is sufficient for SHTF

Posts: 3368 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
In the military, you had lots of help. In the military, it was not necessary under all but the most extreme circumstances, to provide ammunition to others around you. In the military, the ammunition supplied to you was not a potential barter item, for which you might obtain food, drinking water, medical supplies, or any number of other things.

I could go on, but I shouldn't need to do so.

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Para, you mentioned a bandolier and sling you have to carry mags, would you mind telling us what kind and where you got them? You recommended a sling for my AR a while back and it works well.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9361 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Loaded - enough to accurately hunt with for at least five years, to include skills retention and teaching wife.

Unloaded; 15-20 years provided powder and primers stay dry, electrical power to clean brass, brass is retained after shooting, and a sturdy enough bench can be had.

In a no-shit fire fight; about 15 30-rd magazines worth of minutes provided i have time to load them. Of course though…, if an earthquake hits, social disruption is occurring, etc; mags are already loaded.

That’s how much ammo i have.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14138 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Para, you mentioned a bandolier and sling you have to carry mags, would you mind telling us what kind and where you got them?
The bandolier- you're SOL on that one.

The finest web gear you'll never own. Hand sewn, one at a time, by one guy, and he's so backlogged, you can't even place an order: UW Gear Bandoleer3

Expensive, and worth it. I've got one of these for my SCAR, too.

The six mag carrier- that's more pedestrian. I can't recall the maker at the moment. I'll have to tell you tomorrow. The wife is sleeping now and I can't make a bunch of noise.

posted Hide Post
That's fine, thanks! I'm sure a six-mag carrier will be all I need.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9361 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
That's fine, thanks! I'm sure a six-mag carrier will be all I need.

Here's a six-mag bandoleer, others can advise on its usefulness. The one comment says the flap does not snap closed with two mags.

https://www.sgammo.com/product...30-round-556-cal-ar1

Posts: 16001 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Checked it this morning. It's an Eagle, but looking at their site, they've discontinued this carrier in favor of open top carrier with bungie retention.

posted Hide Post
Para, thanks for checking.

Sigmund, for $10 plus shipping I guess it would be tough to go wrong. I'm thinking it would stretch a bit if left with mags in it for a while. I don't know if SGA has an Amazon store, but I'll look there since we have Amazon Prime and won't have to pay shipping.

P.S. Just found a similar item on Amazon, not made by Eagle, I don't think, but I don't have to pay SGA's shipping cost, either. Wink

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I'm In pretty good shape...but then I can go through 5000 g
Rnds of .22 in a month during the summer.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9085 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
Dumb question I know... But I am going to ask it.

I have better than 10,000 rounds of various types of 5.56, 9mm, and .22. <-- Much better

I have a couple of 1,000 rounds of 308, 30.06, 7.62 X 39, 300 BO and shot gun shells.

All kept in a climate controlled home.

I keep telling myself I have enough. It is just me and the wife. No kids. A couple of friends that I would rely on for mutual defense that do not have weapons or ammo (I would have to supply).

Am I blinded by my pile so much so that I think I am safe. Would you fellas buy more if you had/have the same quantities?

I guess it depends on what you’re trying to prepare for.

If it’s the party starting tomorrow, you’re probably more than golden.

If it’s a limitation or ban on the ability to purchase ammo or components starting tomorrow and the need to keep shooting at whatever level you like for the next ten years, the answer may be different. Only you know how much you want to shoot and how long a time horizon you’re trying to prepare for.

Posts: 7041 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post