SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How are you fixed for ammunition?
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How are you fixed for ammunition? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Naturally, we don't want to get too specific on a public forum, but how are you fixed for ammunition? The serious kind. The question is rhetorical. Please, no bragging or exaggerated claims. I do not pose this question in search of a winner, but rather to urge members (and readers) to make hay while the sun shines.

There are an estimated 500 million firearms in the United States, and some 25 million of those are AR-15s, but those rifles are nothing more than awkward clubs without ammunition (and magazines).

And now the world finds itself in conditions more precarious than anytime since September 11th.

If you value your life and the lives of your family, you should be stocking up on rifle and pistol ammunition, and shotgun ammo, too.

How much do you need? More than you likely have right now. I know a certain someone Roll Eyes who has approximately 5K 5.56/.223; 1.5K 7.62x51; 5K 9x19 and he still feels this is inadequate. After all, one never knows what new legislation is right around the corner.

Gentlemen, listen to me, please: take stock and buy ammunition right now. Today.

Also, magazines. If you own an AR-15 and you have half a dozen magazines for it, you are doing yourself a disservice. When the time comes that you realize you haven't enough, it will be too late to obtain more. You should have a minimum of two dozen quality AR magazines (and more, if you have more than one rifle)- Pmags, USGI aluminum (Okay mags are preferable, but Labelle work, too), Lancers. Get yourself an UPLULA loader.

Spare parts. AR-15 bolts, extractors, firing pins, etc.

The same applies for AK shooters, and all other platforms.

You need a way to carry magazines on your person (and you Goddamn well better have a decent sling on your rifle). I have a three mag bandolier that straps on to my body, as well as an additional six mag carrier with an over the shoulder sling. In this way, I can have ten 30 round magazines on my person (one in the rifle).

You don't need a dedicated carrier. You can buy something like this well-made Helikon-Tex Bushcraft Satchel which has plenty of room and a couple of pockets. You can load it up with magazines and have room for a canteen, a snack, Israeli bandage and a good tourniquet. A charger for your phone, things like that, but careful about weighing yourself down. When empty, this satchel scrunches down to nothing, and again I say it is very well-made, well worth the asking price.

Eyewear- you don't need to get fancy. A 5 dollar pair of safety glasses will do.

A sweat band or bandana to keep the sweat out of your eyes.

Knee pads- make your own jokes.

Guys, get yourself ready. Buy. Ammunition.

This isn't play time. We're not kids in the backyard dreaming of playing Army men. Danger is all around. I feel almost silly saying it because it sounds melodramatic, but damn if it isn't true.

Take stock. Get what you need. Keep your rifle with you whenever possible. Take your rifle to the range. Make sure it's sighted in.

Take it home, clean it, lube it, and load it. Be ready.

Many of you already have all of this covered, but many of you do not.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107625 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not enough

I was in the habit of buying a magazine [PMag 20 or 30] every time I bought any qty of ammo for the AR.
Kept me from having loose ammo around & added an additional loaded mag to the group.

Need to get back to it.

On the pistol side, 357Sig is getting tougher to find locally & the little around is usually exorbitantly priced.
Might look into getting a 9mm conversion back for the 320.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15341 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could use a few more M1A and Glock 30 magazines. I am in a good position on all others.

Only 200 rds ea of 270 Win and 45-70 but I am OK with that amount.

A little low on 38 Sp, 357 Mag & 357 SIG.

I am in a good position on all other rifle, handgun, and shotgun rounds.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have "a fair bit" of ammo, but not enough to be completely comfortable. I also need things like spare bolts and BCGs, spring kits, etc.

I'd never turn down more 7.62, 5.56, 9mm, .40 or .45, but except for .45, I'm not really short on any of those. I can hold out for weeks with .22LR. Got nearly a lifetime supply of that, and pistols, revolvers, autos, and bolt guns that eat it. It's not a vehicle stopper, but it's not nothing either.

I'm pretty good on the pistol end of things from a redundancy standpoint, but need to supplement the rifle end. In fact, an extra full upper or two wouldn't go amiss.

ETA: I'm good on magazines. I have ample for AR, FAL, M1, 228, 229, 1911 and SigPro.

Hell, if the bottom falls out, I've got hundreds of rounds of 8mm, and a pair of Mausers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ArtieS,

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12782 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9969 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been a while since I inventoried, but I have been laying in reloading supplies, mostly pistol. Guess I need to get serious about some rifle caliber dies as well.

Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Posts: 172 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Disproportionately covered on the ammo side. I lack almost ANY spare parts, aside from spare guns themselves. Probably need to look in to that further.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9695 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I'm covered and have components to make a bunch more. not posting numbers though. set up to load 9mm .223. 12 gauge. dont have any spare parts but I have a few spare guns Wink

Posts: 5599 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Not enough, need more mags, maybe time to pare down the variety of fire arms into more similar platforms with more mags and ammo is what I read between the lines.

Perhaps it doesn't do to have 3 P320 mags, 4 S&W, 8 1911 and 12 glock, get more of one platforms mags. Considering picking up a carbine type rifle that uses those same mags.

Posts: 23475 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Ammo NOT already loaded in magazines:
North of 12k of 5.56
Well North of 7k 9mm
^^My primary calibers^^
Maybe 2.5k of .45ACP, 44mag, 357SIG, 38/357, 22lr, 300BLK, 7.62x39(only weapon I only own 1 example of)
A minimum of 1k for misc weapons I only own in one caliber

Magazines(loaded):
For rifles, no less than 20 loaded for each, plus pre-loaded chest rigs in varying capacities for 3, 4, and 6 mags.
For pistols, no less than 7 for each weapon that uses them, loaded and assigned to each one individually, minimum. Perhaps 12 loaded for an MPX. + Belts, belts, belts.
I'm not even sure how many loaded 9mm Glock 17/19 mags I own, A lot, simply because the 17's are interchangeable between the 17, 19, and 34. Truly a beauty of the Glock system.

Multiple Uplula's for pistol, MPX, and AR mags.

Does NOT include the rather large pile of 12ga stuff I have laying around.
And no, I don't think the above is "really" enough...

And yes, the satchel Para linked is a quality product. Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6217 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I’ve got enough to feed each weapon in conflict for 60 days. Or enough for a couple of weapons for a year. I also have ammunition to barter/trade with. I just moved it all in military ammo cans from Utah to Tennessee.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29708 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I had these same concerns and earlier this year replenished stock that had gone down during the Covid years, mostly 9 mm and 223 Rem. Don't really want to give exact numbers, but about where I want to be.

Buying ammo in California is now very inconvenient and expensive. You must go through a backround check. You can no longer buy online and ship directly to your address; online purchases must be shipped to an FFL. You cannot personally purchase out-of-state and bring it back home either.

As for the rest like paraphernalia and gear...I had gotten to the point of wondering if I'd gone a little overboard with the pouches and tactical vests and slings and load-bearing harnesses and spare gun parts. With the way things are in the world lately, maybe it wasn't so excessive after all.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16362 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
HRK touched on this -
If you need to consolidate calibers just do it.

When my sons were younger teaching and training utilized 22lr. Perfect.

Now it's 9 and 223.

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I think I might actually have enough. I'm not naive enough to think I'm going to survive more than a handful of engagements. I have enough to do my part in dealing with overreaching overlords should they come knocking. I probably have enough to take a couple to them. What I don't have, is enough to practice like my life is going to depend on it (1,000 round range sessions on a regular, 1-2 times a week basis).

I've got a mantis, and I've stayed at a holiday inn express a few times on a GOV dime.

Seriously though, I've been screaming this to everyone who will listen. Buy it now. Buy as much as you possibly can't afford, NOW.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I am good except for good knee pads, but my knees told me to get some, the last time I kneeled down on the garage floor when working.

Dang they got boney in their old age.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43902 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
While you are loading up on ammo and mags, look at getting a loader for the AK/AR platform mags, I grabbed a Podavich loader and it makes refilling those magazines a snap.

Won't matter if you have 15,000 rounds of anything if you don't have a quick way to reload those magazines.

https://podavach.store/

Posts: 23475 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I'm in good shape on actual ammo but appreciate the thread and do need to address spare parts and gear. I'm set up for recreational shooting.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have a reasonable amount of rifle and plenty of handgun. I have some reloading ability with lots of projectiles and cases but am woefully short on primers and powder. I need to invest in a decent set of rifle plates to go with my external vest and mag carrier combo. I also have a killer set of home made 3-D camo if I need to hit the brush.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15595 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Para, thanks to a similar thread you posted during probably the Obama administration after a shortage had relaxed, I stocked up.

Right now I have a lifetime supply for recreational shooting, except for .22lr . In times of civil conflict, idk what is a good supply. IRL it seems unlikely I would survive more than a few magazines worth in a shooting conflict.

Spare parts is a weakness for me, so thanks for that suggestion.

We've been working on general food supplies etc, which are equally important as defensive tools. For those who haven't started stockpiling, a good process is to first plan for a 72 hour problem (blizzard, power outage, etc), then improve that to 1 month. Then go out to 6 months. It is simpler than one might imagine.

Posts: 9457 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have enough Handgun and Rifle ammo to last me for the rest of my life. That's a tiny benefit of getting older. Shotgun is a continuing problem because I shoot competitive Skeet. When you go thru roughly 14,000 shot shells per year keeping enough components on hand can be a problem.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5651 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post