SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How are you fixed for ammunition?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How are you fixed for ammunition? Login/Join 
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
I need to take stock but nowhere near the numbers a certain someone you mentioned has.

JC

Posts: 1302 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Damn, you guys are a bunch of gun nuts. I guess I really do have enough, but its comforting to have still more. Check out my sig line down below. Its been that way for years and years, since before I realized I needed ammo. I've still even got most of my fathers stuff, and he croaked back in 1979. Yeah, I don't shoot nearly enough.

How long do you fools expect to live if the shit hits the fan anyway? If its only 10 minutes longer than the next guy, its still worth it. But I don't buy factory ammo, I just reload more. And for perspective, I'm a gun nut as evidenced by the wall covered with 50 cal cans. My experience is is foolish to stack them higher than 5. I'm old and can't lift them any higher without too much effort. And you speak of mags from the perspective of AR or AK shooters. Sometime whilst walking a gun show price some P210 mags. I personally can't afford many of them. I've got a P210-7 with 2 mags. Can't afford any more, and you probably can't either. Those things do last nearly forever (I haven't lived that long yet, but the factory Swiss ones are past 50 years now.)

A little while ago, like maybe 30 or 40 years, I was buying 22 lr at barn sales. Thats the Kentucky version of a yard sale, and I really liked partial boxes of the nice old nickel plated 1950's ones. Gawd I hope I don't lve long enough to shoot them all up. Going by the advice I hear both at the gun shows and here, ammo goes bad after 30 or 90 days, there comes a problem. Help me out here, guys.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Going by the advice I hear both at the gun shows and here, ammo goes bad after 30 or 90 days, there comes a problem. Help me out here, guys.

Yeah, don't think that is good advice, just sayin'. Eek

Posts: 23171 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You didn't hear that around here .

Posts: 4234 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammer1967
posted Hide Post
Friends and I talk about buying ammo all the time.

However if I’m holding down the fort in my house against the zombies. And my house has an asphalt shingle roof, that could be ignited with a gallon of gas and a match. All the ammo in the world won’t help me.

If we bug out, how much can you realistically transport??

I get extra when I can so I can enjoy shooting without worrying about running out.

If Jesus would have had a gun he would be alive today. Homer Simpson
“Him plenty dead” Tonto

Posts: 1091 | Location: TN | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I have never been a big hobby shooter nor all that interested in defensive firearms aside from a carry gun or two. I have never stocked ammo deep for those.
I have a bit of 9mm but not enough for serious defense. Between a P226 and a P6, 6 or 8 mags, all loaded. Plus some more. I also have a SW686 and 500+ rounds of 38 Spl target rounds.
I have brick or two of .22LR and 2 rifles but they are not detachable magazine guns.
I have a decent collection of hunting rifles and I have enough for me and my two sons to kill all of the deer in the rest of our lives, but it's not a lot if we're taking a defensive stand.
I also have a number of hunting shotguns (and some that can do dual service.) I have a solid stock of .410, 20, 16, and 12. Most of these are game rounds but a decent amount of buckshot. Again, this is a good amount for subsistence but not extended defense.
Finally, I do have an AR and a few hundred rounds but I should probably snag a few more mags and load them up. Oh, and maybe shoot the thing occasionally.
I am also set up to reload and have a good amount of powders and primers but would need more projectiles if I'm trying to win a long war.

All told, I have enough to be called a "gun nut" by the media but not enough to be well-respected in a preppers community.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YellowJacket,

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10554 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer1967:

However if I’m holding down the fort in my house against the zombies. And my house has an asphalt shingle roof, that could be ignited with a gallon of gas and a match. All the ammo in the world won’t help me.

I get extra when I can so I can enjoy shooting without worrying about running out.

I keep a couple thousand rounds of various calibers in ammo cans in my Jeep.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30862 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Everybody knows that you have to create a plane with multiple hide locations, that's where you have bug out boxes planted around the grounds, fake dog house, large bird feeders, yard tool shed, in it you keep ammo, mags, spare gun, not good to put food in it, put in some desiccant bags.

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I spent years on 556 and 762X39 magazines. I’ve got enough for life. Spring breaks, I could honestly just chuck the entire magazine and be fine.

Ammo, have enough of 9mm and 556 but definitely need to buy more AK. I have a large enough amount but not equivalent to other calibers. The problem is that the ranges closest to me don’t allow you to shoot steel cased so I’ve punted for years until I can move, buy a Dillon, cases, and make my own brass for the AK’s. Definitely need to come up with a solution but current home is stacked already and I just don’t have the room or space for a bench, Dillon, etc. Frown

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12907 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
Dumb question I know... But I am going to ask it.

I have better than 10,000 rounds of various types of 5.56, 9mm, and .22. <-- Much better

I have a couple of 1,000 rounds of 308, 30.06, 7.62 X 39, 300 BO and shot gun shells.

All kept in a climate controlled home.

I keep telling myself I have enough. It is just me and the wife. No kids. A couple of friends that I would rely on for mutual defense that do not have weapons or ammo (I would have to supply).

Am I blinded by my pile so much so that I think I am safe. Would you fellas buy more if you had/have the same quantities?

IMHO, that's plenty. More than.

Posts: 14153 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Going by the advice I hear both at the gun shows and here, ammo goes bad after 30 or 90 days, there comes a problem. Help me out here, guys.

Hey, if it'll help you out any, I'll send you 1 case of fresh ammo for every 2 cases of that 90-day old stuff, that's no good anymore, in return. Big Grin

Posts: 762 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:

Did you actually take the time to read my post?
quote:
After all, one never knows what new legislation is right around the corner.

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Naturally, we don't want to get too specific on a public forum, but how are you fixed for ammunition? The serious kind. The question is rhetorical. Please, no bragging or exaggerated claims. I do not pose this question in search of a winner, but rather to urge members (and readers) to make hay while the sun shines.

There are an estimated 500 million firearms in the United States, and some 25 million of those are AR-15s, but those rifles are nothing more than awkward clubs without ammunition (and magazines).

And now the world finds itself in conditions more precarious than anytime since September 11th.

If you value your life and the lives of your family, you should be stocking up on rifle and pistol ammunition, and shotgun ammo, too.

How much do you need? More than you likely have right now. I know a certain someone Roll Eyes who has approximately 5K 5.56/.223; 1.5K 7.62x51; 5K 9x19 and he still feels this is inadequate. After all, one never knows what new legislation is right around the corner.

Gentlemen, listen to me, please: take stock and buy ammunition right now. Today.

Also, magazines. If you own an AR-15 and you have half a dozen magazines for it, you are doing yourself a disservice. When the time comes that you realize you haven't enough, it will be too late to obtain more. You should have a minimum of two dozen quality AR magazines (and more, if you have more than one rifle)- Pmags, USGI aluminum (Okay mags are preferable, but Labelle work, too), Lancers. Get yourself an UPLULA loader.

Spare parts. AR-15 bolts, extractors, firing pins, etc.

The same applies for AK shooters, and all other platforms.

You need a way to carry magazines on your person (and you Goddamn well better have a decent sling on your rifle). I have a three mag bandolier that straps on to my body, as well as an additional six mag carrier with an over the shoulder sling. In this way, I can have ten 30 round magazines on my person (one in the rifle).

You don't need a dedicated carrier. You can buy something like this well-made Helikon-Tex Bushcraft Satchel which has plenty of room and a couple of pockets. You can load it up with magazines and have room for a canteen, a snack, Israeli bandage and a good tourniquet. A charger for your phone, things like that, but careful about weighing yourself down. When empty, this satchel scrunches down to nothing, and again I say it is very well-made, well worth the asking price.

Eyewear- you don't need to get fancy. A 5 dollar pair of safety glasses will do.

A sweat band or bandana to keep the sweat out of your eyes.

Knee pads- make your own jokes.

Guys, get yourself ready. Buy. Ammunition.

This isn't play time. We're not kids in the backyard dreaming of playing Army men. Danger is all around. I feel almost silly saying it because it sounds melodramatic, but damn if it isn't true.

Take stock. Get what you need. Keep your rifle with you whenever possible. Take your rifle to the range. Make sure it's sighted in.

Take it home, clean it, lube it, and load it. Be ready.

Many of you already have all of this covered, but many of you do not.

Good post. I would add, consider that it is dark nearly half of the time. I realize not everyone has discretionary funds for things like night vision, but consider adding a white light to your primary defense rifle. A Surefire G2 and a mount to attach it to your hand guard is fairly inexpensive.

Also, a lot of people own slings but don't shoot often or at all with them attached to the rifle. Being slung up changes the manual of arms a bit, in ways that people may not anticipate. Do at least some shooting with your sling on your rifle and on your person.

Also, get away from the shooting bench and shoot from field positions. Offhand, seated, prone (contrary to some opinions you can indeed monopod off of a mag without inducing malfunctions), off of structures like windows or car hoods, real or simulated.

Posts: 14153 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
I took heed from this forum many years ago. I have often joked how much money this forum has caused me to spend and with today's events, don't regret a cent of it. I have enough to outfit a decent size group of people. I am currently in the process of caching it. I won't say how much ammo I have but I bought it when it was cheap and therefore was able to purchase a lot. I shoot quite a bit and haven't had to purchase ammo in years. I also have enough food for a family of 6 for 6 months, 25 year shelf storage type stuff. First aid is another very important item to stock. If you find yourself in a situation where you will have to fight it out you better have something to stop the bleed. Combat gauze, israeli bandages, tourniquets, chest seals, trauma shears, maybe even a decompression needle. As always, better to have it than not.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5935 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have enough to outfit a decent size group of people.

THIS. I've never considered that my supplies were at risk from me using it up. Its how many people can I supply? Defense is distinctly a group activity. And I want the people that join my group to have access to the stuff we need for a collective defense.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11149 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I'm in good shape,

and have the reloading supplies on hand to do a bit more,

set up at a Gunshow here in NOVA today,
been open to the public for almost 2 hrs and the Ammo guys are doing a booming business, seen several customers go by with small handtrucks loaded,,,

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10548 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It pains me to think that we have to store large amounts of ammo for the safety and wellbeing of those I care about.
The social contract has been voided. The only one who can and must protect us, is us.
Nobody is going to save us from what is comming.
I am a believer in the Constitution, but I cannot support most of the elected representatives in this administration.

Posts: 97 | Registered: September 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

I keep a couple thousand rounds of various calibers in ammo cans in my Jeep.

So you're the guy in the Jeep rolling down Parley's at 110 mph!

Posts: 9709 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
One night many years ago one of my favorite gun salesmen at Bob’s GunShop in Norfolk Virginia and I had an interesting conversation while it was slow up on their 3rd floor indoor range. We were the only people on the range which didn’t happen often.

We got to talking about being prepared for anything. He said something I still think about when I see threads like this. He said he buried a few Mosin–Nagant rifles and ammo in parks areas where he figured they would never accidentally be found. He was probably joking but with this guy it wasn’t always easy to tell when he was messing around or being serious.

This guy was interesting. He had a bit of that gun store commando vibe but he did end up getting killed by Norfolk PD after a domestic situation escalated out of control. He walked in on his wife and her boyfriend doing their thing and reacted VERY poorly. It’s just a damn sad story.

I am not advocating someone being Johnny Appleseed with WWII era Russian Rifles at random parks but I do wonder if I’ll ever see a headline that Russian rifles were found in Norfolk/VA Beach when a new building was being constructed in a park. If that ever happens I’ll have a good guess who did it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21213 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I consider myself the place to bug out to.
We're fixed pretty good on all calibers.
Especially 22LR. Do not discount the 22LR. It easily takes small game as well as two legged ones.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39860 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post