SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    S.F. 49er's QB won't stand during National Anthem because the U.S. "oppresses black people"...
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S.F. 49er's QB won't stand during National Anthem because the U.S. "oppresses black people"... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
And until a lot, and I mean A LOT of people turn the channel away from the football games, none of this is going to change.

The San Fran, Seattle & NFL are doing exactly JACK-SHIT to stop this bullshit.

Better yet, the hell with the NFL. They haven't done a damn thing to attempt to even quell the Thug-Life behavior by these over-paid prima-donnas.

If Pepsi, Coke, Jimmy Johns, Budweiser, Target or any other of the companies decide to advertise during a San Fran or Seattle game, I think I might just contact them, and tell them why I and my family will stop doing business with them.

You want to advertise during these games? That, in my mind, means you accept and condone this type of behavior. I guess you'll get none of MY $.

Nothing really stops until someone looses $$$.
Who do you really think will win this game, kappernak or Budweiser? Those multi-million dollars worth of Ad space start loosing serious money, I'm betting Mr. Coke-a-Cola might just ask the Commissioner of the NFL to get rid of that punk and start some much needed "Behavior Modification" therapy for the NFL.

But that's in my little perfect world. Something tells me that the Stadiums will be packed, not too many people will turn off Sports Center, ESPN... And this shit will continue.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8522 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Much respect for John Tortorella and another reason I love hockey.

quote:
On Tuesday, Tortorella told ESPN: "If any of my players sit on the bench for the national anthem, they will sit there the rest of the game."

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/...ands-anthem-comments

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:

Yep, that took Brady and Deflategate right out of the headlines.

Posts: 4054 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Now Denver

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...kes-knee-anthem.html

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3625 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seahawks players may expand national anthem protest Sunday vs Dolphins
STEPHEN COHEN, SEATTLEPI.COM STAFF

RENTON -- The Seattle Seahawks hope to make a statement in their season-opening matchup versus the Miami Dolphins on Sunday.

But some of the players might make a statement before the game even starts.

Following protests by San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick and Seattle cornerback Jeremy Lane, members of the Seahawks might join together to address the issues that motivated Kaepernick to first sit, then kneel during the playing of the national anthem.

Linebacker Bobby Wagner said Wednesday that the team is considering a show of unity in order to promote justice and equality for all Americans, regardless of skin color.

"Anything that we want to do, it's not going to be individual," Wagner said ahead of practice at the Virginia Mason Athletic Center. "It's going to be a team thing because that's what the world needs to see. The world needs to see people coming together versus being individuals."

Kaepernick sat for the national anthem during the preseason as a way of protesting what he believed to be the unequal treatment of minorities in America -- specifically police brutality against African Americans -- telling NFL Network he refused to "stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppressed black people and people of color."

Lane followed Kaepernick's lead ahead of Seattle's preseason finale versus the Oakland Raiders on Sept. 1, while Kaepernick and teammate Eric Reid amended their protests to kneeling during the national anthem as a sign of respect to the military ahead of the Niners' final preseason game.

Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll told reporters he expected Lane to continue his protest on Sunday.

"We've talked some about it," Carroll said. "He's pretty clear what he did and what he was trying to express. I think it's very simple, so we'll leave that up to him. But he's understanding the responsibility of it, I think, and shouldering it."

Wide receiver Doug Baldwin, never shy about expressing his opinions, took to Facebook to discuss the issue on Sept. 4, using a parable to argue people were more concerned with Kaepernick's method of protest than the issues he raised.

"I think that's what the issue is here," Baldwin said on Wednesday. "We're missing the message in terms of what we're talking about. It's not necessarily about the messenger or about the protest itself. It's about what we're pointing to."

Baldwin and his teammates have discussed a larger protest, but the 27-year-old said he wanted to get "all of my ducks in a row" before he disclosed any plans.

One complicating factor could be that Sunday's game falls on the 15th anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, a fact that's not lost on Baldwin.

"I think that anybody should be thinking about that," Baldwin said. "Even if it wasn't Sept. 11, the point of the protest is to get people to think.

"I think it's very ironic that 15 years ago on Sept. 11 is one of the most devastating times in U.S. history, and after that day we were probably the most unified that we've ever been," he continued. "And today you struggle to see the unity."

According to Baldwin and Wagner, both team leaders, the unity Carroll has helped create among a diverse group in the Seahawks locker room makes them uniquely prepared to take a stand.

"It's different in our locker room," Baldwin said. "Whatever decisions you make, we understand that we're all human beings. So some of us might not agree, some of us will agree, but at the same time we give each other slack because we're all human beings."

"I enjoy having conversations because we're fortunate enough to have black people, white people, all types of people in this locker room," Wagner said. "You get to see different backgrounds, different journeys. I think that's what separates the NFL, because there's so many different cultures in here that you get to learn from -- that you get to experience -- that people from the outside don't get to experience.

"We don't live in a box," Wagner continued. "We understand that there's different types of views, different types of actions, and we have the open minds to listen to it."

http://komonews.com/sports/sea...t-sunday-vs-dolphins

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
‘I’m Not Against America’: Denver Broncos Linebacker Brandon Marshall Takes Knee During National Anthem

Broncos linebacker Brandon Marshall, a college teammate of 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, took to a knee during the playing of the national anthem before Denver’s season opener against the Carolina Panthers on Thursday.

Denver Broncos inside linebacker Brandon Marshall kneels on the sideline during the National Anthem prior to a game against the Carolina Panthers on Thursday in Denver. (AP Photo/Joe Mahoney)

Kaepernick refused to stand for the anthem during San Francisco’s preseason games, explaining it was to protest racial oppression and police brutality in the United States.

Marshall sounded a similar theme after Denver’s 21-20 win.

“I’m not against the military, I’m not against America,” he said. “I’m against social injustice.”

Kaepernick’s gesture opened a wide debate and put the microscope on a pregame tradition that has, for decades, been routine.

Marshall was standing with his hand over his heart during the anthem before a preseason game on Aug. 20.

He made no mention of his plans for Thursday’s opener but shortly after the large American flag was unfurled, the fifth-year linebacker out of Nevada went to the end of a long row of Broncos and took a knee.

“I prayed about it,” Marshall said after the game, “and I felt like God led me.”

Broncos Super Bowl MVP Von Miller said he supported Kaepernick, too. “I’m not going to kneel for the national anthem, but I feel it should be a change. His actions really brought the topic, brought it into the conversation. I’m with Colin all the way.”

http://www.theblaze.com/storie...ing-national-anthem/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24583 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I for one am so sad that all these poor millionaires are being oppressed.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15276 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
“I’m not against the military, I’m not against America,” he said. “I’m against social injustice.”

My question is: What does this have to do with social injustice?
What positive impact does it have on anyone or anything to bring attention to BLM?
What has BLM done to build up anything? Haven't they just torn down their own communities?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24583 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Here's a female sailor who refused to stand during morning colors. IMO she out to get a general or dishonorable discharge immediately. But of course they wont, just like the female cadets with the fists at West Point. WTF does she think the US Navy has done for her!

http://www.military.com/daily-...al-flag-protest.html

"A sailor who filmed herself refusing to stand for morning colors is now facing administrative action, Military.com has learned.

Lt. Cmdr. Kate Meadows, a spokeswoman for Naval Education and Training Command, said actions were ongoing regarding the sailor, but declined to specify what they were.

The sailor, who has not been publicly identified, is assigned to Naval Air Technical Training Center in Pensacola, Florida, Meadows confirmed, and is expected to be allowed to continue training.

The command became aware of the filmed protest Aug. 31, Meadows said.

At issue is an eight-and-a-half minute video posted to Facebook in which the sailor sat through morning colors in protest of the now-defunct third stanza of the National Anthem, which she described as racist.

The video has been widely shared and was viewed more than 13,000 times after being re-posted to a military humor page, US Army Military Police WTF Moments.

The sailor referred to San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who made headlines in August when he opted to take a knee for the anthem, saying he was not going to "show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color."

"[The stanza] basically says land of the free, home of the brave, except for hirelings and slaves and I just can't support anything like that," the sailor said. "I think Colin had a really good point when he said we had bodies in the streets."

In the video, the sailor, who is dressed in civilian workout clothing near a Pensacola barracks building, expresses anxiety that other Marines or sailors will notice her filmed protest and confront her about it.

Military regulations require troops to stop in place, stand and salute during the brief ceremony.

"My heart is racing. This is not an easy thing," she said.

While the anthem is played, the sailor sits on a picnic bench with a raised fist, a symbol of solidarity in the Black Power movement. When the anthem concludes, she expresses relief and pride in her protest.

"Today I actually did something, and it was small but significant for me," she said. "Until this country shows they've got my back as a black woman … I can't, and I won't and I won't be forced to [stand]."

While Kaepernick's flag protest was provocative, the sailor's is also against military regulations.

Navy rules state that troops must stand and face the flag when the National Anthem is played. Troops in uniform must salute, while troops not in uniform must stand at attention and place the right hand over the heart. These rules mean that her behavior could fall afoul of Article 92 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, failure to obey a lawful general order or regulation.

In 2014, a soldier stationed at Fort Carson, Pfc. Tariqka Sheffey, posted a photo on Instagram showing herself hiding in her car to avoid the evening flag salute. The ensuing furor prompted an Army inquiry and concluded with a formal apology from Sheffey.

Meadows said she didn't know whether the Navy planned to publicly address the recent protest.

"We are always doing training to make sure that sailors know the pros and cons of using social media, and they must always observe appropriate conduct, and they're always subject to the UCMJ at all times," she said. "We'll make sure that's reiterated to our sailors. Anything you post on social media can go viral."

Posts: 4057 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Can you imagine this crap happening 10 years ago?

Of course not.

Fundimentally
Change
America

Piece by piece. Institution by institution.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
Can you imagine this crap happening 10 years ago?

Of course not.

Fundimentally
Change
America

Piece by piece. Institution by institution.

Little by little, day by day. I wonder if/when the scales will tip.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
expresses anxiety that other Marines or sailors will notice her filmed protest and confront her about it.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

In the past, she would have probably got a blanket party.

Posts: 7094 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Or worse.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well if we could just stop giving them any press it will go away, amazing that the important news of the day is a few mega wealthy athletes disrespecting the Flag/

They want to do that, fine, they have the right to be dickheads, but fuck um and quit talking about it and they become nothing more than a bunch of sanctimonious self centered brats.

Posts: 24238 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I will not watch another NFL game, I will not support any organization that let's it IDIOT members disrespect this County in that matter.

Cancelled my Direct TV Football package - informed them why.

Screw the idiot players that are doing it, the coaches that are allowing it, the ownership's that are allowing it, the TEAMMATES that are allowing it, and the League.

And if I could get a message to the companies that are paying for commercials during a game, I will send them an email stating "If I have any say - and you bet that I do, I will not purchase any product from a company that promotes itself during an NFL game."

And if you start to talk to me about football - my reply is "Don't talk to me about Football, I don't want to hear about any STUPID organization that let's its members disrespect this country."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1919 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
The upcoming civil war will be the last step in fundamentally changing America. These sports anti American antics are a small portion. If it boils over before election day, his highnes can declare martial law and proclame himself the king.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7846 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well if we could just stop giving them any press it will go away

Wait... who is this "we" giving them any press? It's not me and it's not you... it's the NFL.
Millions and millions of people tune in to watch the NFL. The NFL is responsible for the entertainment product they put on the field, including whether or not to allow this "protest" on their field, on employer time.

-rduckwor

Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Well, at least the sponsors are standing up to them... More at the link

Broncos’ Brandon Marshall loses endorsement deal after kneeling for national anthem

quote:
Broncos linebacker Brandon Marshall said he expected pushback. He knew not everyone would agree with his decision to kneel for the national anthem before the Broncos’ season-opener against Carolina on Thursday evening.

He expected some to perceive his protest, designed to highlight issues such as racial inequality and police brutality, in a negative light.

Friday morning, his expectation became reality when Air Academy Federal Credit Union released him from his endorsement deal. Marshall became AAFCU’s official spokesperson in May.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6896 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the Seahawks take a knee during the Anthem before the game on the 15th I would cancel the game and fine the players. Keep canceling their games and fines until they show respect. If they don like it they can play in.....?

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post