SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    S.F. 49er's QB won't stand during National Anthem because the U.S. "oppresses black people"...
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 25
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S.F. 49er's QB won't stand during National Anthem because the U.S. "oppresses black people"... Login/Join 
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/...t-of-national-anthem

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick has willingly immersed himself into controversy by refusing to stand for the playing of the national anthem in protest of what he deems are wrongdoings against African Americans and minorities in the United States.

His latest refusal to stand for the anthem -- he has done this in at least one other preseason game -- came before the 49ers' preseason loss to Green Bay at Levi's Stadium on Friday night.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

The 49ers issued a statement about Kaepernick's decision: "The national anthem is and always will be a special part of the pre-game ceremony. It is an opportunity to honor our country and reflect on the great liberties we are afforded as its citizens. In respecting such American principles as freedom of religion and freedom of expression, we recognize the right of an individual to choose and participate, or not, in our celebration of the national anthem."

By taking a stand for civil rights, Kaepernick, 28, joins other athletes, like the NBA's Dwyane Wade, Chris Paul, LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony and several WNBA players in using their platform and status to raise awareness to issues affecting minorities in the U.S.

However, refusal to support the American flag as a means to take a stand has brought incredible backlash before and likely will in this instance. The NBA's Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf of the Denver Nuggets, formerly Chris Jackson before converting to Islam, refused to acknowledge the flag in protest, citing similar reasons as Kaepernick and saying that it conflicted with some of his Islamic beliefs.

Abdul-Rauf drew the ire of fans and was briefly suspended by the NBA before a compromise was worked out between the league and player, who eventually stood with his teammates and coaches at the playing of the national anthem.

Kaepernick said that he is aware of what he is doing and that he knows it will not sit well with a lot of people, including the 49ers. He said that he did not inform the club or anyone affiliated with the team of his intentions to protest the national anthem.

"This is not something that I am going to run by anybody," he said. "I am not looking for approval. I have to stand up for people that are oppressed. ... If they take football away, my endorsements from me, I know that I stood up for what is right."

Kaepernick said that he has thought about going public with his feelings for a while but that "I felt that I needed to understand the situation better."

He said that he has discussed his feelings with his family and, after months of witnessing some of the civil unrest in the U.S., decided to be more active and involved in rights for black people. Kaepernick, who is biracial, was adopted and raised by white parents and siblings.

Kaepernick's Twitter feed is filled with civil rights messages.

The former Super Bowl starting quarterback's decision to go public comes while he is fighting for his football life with the 49ers, who drafted him in the second round in 2011. He lost his starting job last season after being one of the most promising players in the NFL during his run under former coach Jim Harbaugh.

Over the past few months, his relationship with management has turned sour. He requested a trade last spring, which never came. He also has spent most of the offseason rehabilitating from operations to his left (non-throwing) shoulder, his hand and knee. His recovery left him unable to fully compete with Blaine Gabbert for months and has him seemingly in a bind to regain his starting job.

He made his preseason debut against the Packers and played in the second quarter, completing two of six passes for 14 yards. He looked as rusty as you'd expect from someone who has not played since last November.

Following the game, and without any knowledge of Kaepernick's non-football behavior, coach Chip Kelly said that there has never been any discussion about cutting Kaepernick.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
I couldn't terminate his contract fast enough.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3648 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Well, if he thinks he is so oppressed by the United States of America, he is welcome to renounce his citizenship and move his sorry self to some other country.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UpTheIrons
posted Hide Post
He's a terrible, one trick pony quarterback and wont be with SF very long anyway.
The fact that he cannot read a defense and think when a play gets broken up is his Achilles Heel.
He will soon bounce around the league as a second/third stringer with several teams before being unceremoniously cut from some bottom dwelling team.

He's just having a temper tantrum because he is not that good and not the center of attention any longer.

“I used to be totally into Steve Vai and Joe Satriani and other shredders, and I tried to emulate what they did and really grow as a guitarist,” Mr. Hanneman said in “Louder Than Hell.” “Then I said, ‘I don’t think I’m that talented, but more important, I don’t care.’ ”

Posts: 1728 | Location: Arizona Territory | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
I couldn't terminate his contract fast enough.

Agreed. Fuck him. This along with him just being a overall problem with management means the 49ers need to get him the fuck out so he can be a backup in a BLM protest in Oakland.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7674 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Whatever. We beat him. Loser.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:

Fuck him.

The eloquence of the velet voice box.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32002 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
So he's half black. And he's getting paid how many millions to play a child's game?

Yeah, he's oppressed. I'm sure the past generations of slaves being worked (literally) to death under the whip on southern plantations hundreds of years ago would empathize with his plight. . . Be strong. Roll Eyes

quote:
There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

Never mind the thousands more dead blacks in the street at the hands of other blacks that he's conveniently ignoring. He's either too stupid or too intellectually dishonest to recognize his hypocrisy. Either way, he's an idiot.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
So the asshole that benefits from his talents in one of the only countries where that can happen hates the country? F-him. If I was the owner I would fire him too. For a sport that claims to be the new American Pastime the NFL needs to step up. What a trash bag. Give up your money and move back to the ghetto from whence you came. I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire. I'd roast marshmellows though.

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Piss on him. Send him somewhere to play football in the Middle East where he'll learn what oppression is.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7065 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Screw him...

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
The only oppressions are self wrought by their own people. If you cant make it in America, football star, you aint tried. We could care less if our culture dont pander to your false islamic belief convert. Seriously, if you gotta fake it to stand before our Flag and Anthem, have a seat ass hole, we dont need you.

Posts: 17984 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Let him go to Canada, or go to Hell.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5671 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I'd roast marshmellows though.
I wouldn't want my marshmallows to have a shit smokey flavor. I can't stand when people protest against the country that gives them the right to protest. Fuck that guy. He is trying to pull a Lochte, any press is good press to them.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hopefully some defensive ends will oppress him onto a PUP list and retirement. I don't care what race they are, so long as they pummel his unpatriotic sorry ass.

Posts: 1731 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
if you want to drop a note to the NFL, here is the link

https://digitalcare.nfl.com/hc...ticket_form_id=59077

use topic "NFL Operations"

Kaepernick sucks. If he thinks there is a better or more fair country, let him go there.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Maybe if he was a better QB, the little guy would be far less oppressed.

Perhaps he could use some of his spare millions to help his cause.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4275 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I wish I was as oppressed as Colin Kaepernick.

Posts: 8881 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Another moron coming from such an oppressed country that elected a black man for President. Roll Eyes

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another person of color being paid millions to play a game. Whatever. Sooo oppressed. Boo boo. Please. And much has been made especially when he first came on the scene (and took us to the super bowl that he didn't win) about how a loving white family adopted him down in Fresno. Whatever dude. Every last one of these clowns wouldn't be able to make as much money as they do in one season or some cases single game, in a lifetime of working at a'normal' day job. Oppressed indeed.

Posts: 4956 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post