SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today, I spoke with JALLEN
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today, I spoke with JALLEN Login/Join 
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
JALLEN,

Sir, I do hope you find yourself in better health soon. You are definitely missed and I too hope to read your posts here again in the near future.

My best regards, Sir,

Greg

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Jim, I don't talk much but I read a lot and I always enjoy your posts. I truly hope you get to feeling better.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've missed seeing those posts of yours. Things here aren't the same without you. Get well soon.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Jim, glad to hear that Para checked in on you, and hope you are well enough to post soon. This corner of the internet isn't quite the same without you!

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
I hope you are well enough to post soon, I always enjoy your articles and personal experiences with many subjects.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope you get better soon

Posts: 1175 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
J Allen, I truly appreciate your posts and hope to see you back in the saddle again soon. In the mean time I want to thank you for the thought provoking posts you have posted and look forward to reading some more.

I wish you the best!

Posts: 2400 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Jim, all the best from your friends here.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1832 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I almost don't know what to say, reading this outpouring of good wishes and appreciation like I have never experienced.

As many have read before this, I have pulmonary fibrosis. I was diagnosed ~6 years ago. Since then, I have gotten steadily worse. It was this diagnosis which motivated my retirement and move to Texas where I grew up a long, long time ago.

The reality of IPF is that there is no treatment and no cure. There is no "getting better." You get worse until you die, either of it, or with it. I am passed the age where a transplant is done. A lung transplant is a serious, serious surgery. Recovery is lengthy, there are lots of very strong medicines to minimize rejection, etc, and you must avoid animals, children, etc to avoid the germs, illnesses etc they often carry. Average life span afterwards is ~5 years. I have decided not to pursue it, not that I would qualify at my age anyway.

The mortality rate I have seen is that 80% of patients die within 5 years of diagnosis. I'm a bit passed 6 years since diagnosis. I am now on supplemental O2 24/7, 5 liters per minute, and cannot walk from one end of the house to the other without it, and barely with it. I normally spend 18-20 hours a day in bed. I can still go out, to the supermarket, to Costco, etc., but I have to use those electric carts they provide. It's tiring even so. I've given up most of my activities, other than those where I can sit on my butt, like reading, radio. I just don't have the energy to do very much. When my wife goes to piano camp in a couple of weeks, my son is coming to dad sit!

I haven't been to a range in a long time. I'll be selling off my guns and ammo shortly, not that I have a large collection.

I appreciated and surprised by Para's call this afternoon, and grateful for the many very kind comments. I have gotten as good as I have given and more besides in the discussions we have had here. Para pointed out I was 42 posts short of 40,000 posts. Many of those were posts of columns shared from the numerous publications I read, but a great many were me seeking help with various mysteries, computers, firearms, and those were almost always fruitful.

So thanks again for the kind words and good wishes. Those mean more than I can say.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Well Jim, can only wish to fell better ASAP and don't hesitate to call us if there's anything we can do to assist you.

Get well my friend.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Jim, for taking the time to write that. Very much appreciated.

Dad sitting...Haha!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30295 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
JALLEN, even though the prognosis isn't good. I am going to still pray for the small things for you. Extra comfort and trips across the house with no shortness of breath.

Please spend some of the time on your butt time continuing to post stories and add your knowledge here.

PS this is one of the fastest growing threads on here that didn't involve some kind of major news event. Remember that there are 80,000 invisible friends rooting for you.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Prayers for you
Spunk

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
JALLEN. Always liked you posts. Hope you are able to make it around more often as comfort allows.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
The rapid response to this thread is testimony of the very high regard this community has for you JALLEN.
You are fortunate to have the rare treasure of reflecting on your life and enjoying it a second time.
Thank you for sharing it with us.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
I hope he gets to feeling better I've always enjoyed his posts. I've learned a lot from him here.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Jim, thank you for the wisdom and insight you've shared with so many of us over the years. You will be in my family's prayers as well and, should you need a diversion, your many SF friends are here for you.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Best wishes, JALLEN. You have always been one of the standouts on this forum, and I look forward to the day when you start posting again. Take care.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best wishes for a return to good health!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16003 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
As usual I am late to this party. Jim, you are part of what makes SIGForum what it is. I enjoy reading the articles you post. It is clear to me you find them yourself and not just what scrolls across some screen or what is linked at Drudge. Those posts are much more valuable that way I think. Thank you for taking the time. I also admire the even-keel manner in which you make your cases here and set the record straight. I don't believe I've read a post of yours wherein you are combative and dismissive...even if the opponent warrants it. It is distressing to read that you are afflicted as critically as you are. Makes me want to do something, though I don't know what I could. There are people in this world who make it a better place just by living in it. From what I've seen here, you must be one of them. Thank you for spending time with us.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29605 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post