SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
So Nancy, ignorance of the law is now a valid defense?

It ought to be. See:

Ignorantia Facti Excusat

Especially today when there are something like 10,000 laws on the books. It's crazy as hell to expect to hold people accountable for things they weren't even aware of. It's a terrible defect in our system, flatly terrible, with no easy fix.

There should be far fewer laws, a knowable number. And education should be required. We really need a complete reset, from the Constitution forward, in so so many areas of law and society. Too much nonsense, too much confusion, too much inane variation and lack of consistency. It's dumb.

But it's what we've got... let's not celebrate the dumb parts, eh...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107582 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
And she is fighting back, saying the salon "set her up"- and demanding an apology

I assume she will immediately call the House back to DC to pass legislation making it illegal for LE to "set up" drug sales, prostitution stings, terrorism plots, etc and free anyone convicted under those circumstances as long as they "take responsibility" for falling for it.

Sounds familiar.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Woman who died in February gets letter saying she’s positive for COVID-19

Hmmmm.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (NEXSTAR) — Family members of a woman who died seven months ago say they received a letter this week claiming their loved one tested positive for COVID-19.

What’s even more confusing is Sandra Whittington passed away in February before COVID-19 had been detected in Tennessee. She died in hospice care of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, according to WATN-TV.

“I’m just having a hard time understanding how they can say someone has COVID-19 when they are not even alive,” her son Troy Whittington said in an interview with WATN.

Whittingham said the notice from the local health department said his mother was tested on June 20 and that test came back positive.

New CDC report shows 94% of COVID-19 deaths in US had contributing conditions
“On her death certificate, it was stated she died, what the cause of death was, and it was not COVID-19. It was COPD,” Whittington said in the interview.

The Shelby County Health Department has since apologized for the error.

Even with the apology, Whittington can’t help but question why it took two months for results of the alleged June 20 test to be sent out.

“We’re talking two months later,” he said to WATN. “She needs to be quarantined for 10, well we’ve got 60 days from the time of the test to get the letter out to her, which is unacceptable.”

LINK: https://wgntv.com/news/coronav...sitive-for-covid-19/

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
So Nancy, ignorance of the law is now a valid defense?

It ought to be. See:

Ignorantia Facti Excusat

Especially today when there are something like 10,000 laws on the books. It's crazy as hell to expect to hold people accountable for things they weren't even aware of. It's a terrible defect in our system, flatly terrible, with no easy fix.

There should be far fewer laws, a knowable number. And education should be required. We really need a complete reset, from the Constitution forward, in so so many areas of law and society. Too much nonsense, too much confusion, too much inane variation and lack of consistency. It's dumb.

But it's what we've got... let's not celebrate the dumb parts, eh...

Nope. Then any moron can claim ignorance and get off.

You are absolutely right about too many laws though. I wish we could implement the “No new laws with out identifying and removing a minimum of fifteen existing laws for each new law. No omnibus laws. A new law does one thing, and is clearly written so anyone reading at a tenth grade level can read and understand it. For the purposes of counting laws to be removed, one vote is one law. An omnibus law that currently does 347 things counts as one law removed when it is removed, not 347.” Yeah, 347 would be a better number than fifteen, but we gotta start somewhere.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
More Tennessee fun and games.

I don't quite know what to think of this, honest mistake or the state is padding the numbers.

Daughter in law tested 2 or 3 days ago and both the state and her local county health departments called with the results this AM.

County says she is Negative.
State says she is Positive.

She only took one test... Roll Eyes

They both insist they are correct and say they will send her proof/the results.

She got tested because her son had a short hospital stay for something unrelated and got a mandatory test, was Positive, and was instructed to in home quarantine. Neither has symptoms.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
My freshman son was one of very few from his small high school graduating class to actually go to college. Most of the kids’ choices wimped out, some at the last minute, some months before the start of classes. A lot of the kids are taking gap years rather than do online BS. So far Montana State is hanging in there, but they are pointing to other schools that have shut down and asking the kids to be very careful. We’ll see how it goes...

My eldest two boys are at Syracuse and Virginia Military Institute. Both schools are currently open for in person classes. I hope both schools stay open. We will see.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
this post relates to para's post above

https://uncoverdc.com/2020/08/...om-coronavirus-only/

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) updated their website last week and disclosed

out of the 161,392 deaths in the CDC database,

just six percent (6%),

about 9,700 deaths,

were attributed to the coronavirus alone.

According to the CDC, the other 94 percent had an average of 2.6 additional conditions or causes of deaths, such as heart disease, diabetes, and sepsis.

The following is the top underlying medical conditions linked to coronavirus deaths according to CDC:

Influenza and pneumonia
Respiratory failure
Hypertensive disease
Diabetes
Vascular and unspecified dementia
Cardiac Arrest
Heart failure
Renal failure
Intentional and unintentional injury, poisoning and other adverse events
Other medical conditions

Dr. David B Samadi MD, urologic oncology expert, and robotic surgeon commented on the CDC news via Twitter. “As a men’s health expert, many men have been affected by COVID-19. The CDC today revealed that only 6% of COVID deaths were in patients without existing comorbidities. 94% of the deaths were in cases with pre-existing conditions. This affects the entire public.”

The CDC report also explains that “they are based on death certificates, which are the most reliable source of data and contain information not available anywhere else, including comorbid conditions, race and ethnicity, and place of death.” The CDC defines comorbidity as having “more than one disease or condition … present in the same person at the same time. Conditions described as comorbidities are often chronic or long-term conditions. Other names to describe comorbid conditions are coexisting or co-occurring conditions and sometimes also ‘multimorbidity’ or ‘multiple chronic conditions’.”

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
this post relates to para's post above

HRK posted that same information 5 days ago on page 609 of this thread.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) updated their website last week and disclosed

out of the 161,392 deaths in the CDC database,

just six percent (6%),

about 9,700 deaths,

were attributed to the coronavirus alone.

What is needed to interpret this report is that the timing and duration of the co-existing diseases are not stated.
When completing a death certificate not only the coexisting medical conditions are reported but the timing and duration of the diseases with respect to the time of death. For instance, a person has a severe heart attack and dies. The death certificate might list 1) cardiac arrest 2) myocardial infarction 3) coronary artery disease 4) type II diabetes 5) hypertension. The timing of the conditions might be minutes for the cardiac arrest, days for the myocardial infarction, years for the coronary artery disease and decades for the hypertension and diabetes. The diabetes, hypertension and coronary artery disease were pre existing conditions that gave rise to the myocardial infarction. The myocardial infarction caused enough heart muscle death that the heart could no longer function adequately and death ensued.
Obviously people are not walking around with cardiac arrest as a pre existing condition (unless they were successfully resuscitated and the cause of the arrest treated). Cardiac arrest on a death certificate is usually the cause of death, the end result of some underlying disease process.
That 9,700 death certificates only listed Covid-19 implies that perhaps the people truly were 100% healthy or that they had undiagnosed additional medical conditions or (and almost by definition) the death certificates were not fully completed. Covid-19 infection leads to a cascade of pathophysiological conditions that if unable to be reversed leads to death. So, Covid-19 infection leading to viral pneumonia progressing to acute respiratory distress syndrome leading to hypoxia and then cardiac arrest. They are not doing post mortem exams on many if any of those 9,700 deaths.
I think what you can take away from this, which we already knew, if you were sick before you got Covid-19 you were going to have a harder time dealing with it and even if you are young and healthy, you may not do well with Covid-19 and a small percentage will die. What else we can take away, again which we already knew, is that the CDC is doing a very poor job handling this. Had they used the WHO Covid-19 test kit rather than deciding to make their own from scratch ( and having the first large batch unusable due to faulty reagents included with the tests) we could have recognized how rapidly this could spread and take measures to slow the spread and protect the vulnerable sooner. Had they not lied and just admitted when they didn't know the answers they would not have lost their credibility and there would be much less confusion and conspiracy theory.
Can hospitals lie about Covid-19 to get more medicare reimbursement? Yes but the consequence if caught could result in bankruptcy as well as jail time. If 25-30% of a hospitals revenue is medicare reimbursement and it is taken away as is done in Medicare Fraud cases, a hospital will go under. They are actively looking for medicare fraud, even before this pandemic. Believe me, I know from first hand experience ( a medical coder made a mistake, listing a procedure with a higher reimbursement than the procedure performed (flexible sigmoidoscopy instead of rigid sigmoidoscopy). I signed the discharge paperwork (before it had been coded by a medical coder) for my partner as he was off on sabbatical. They came after me even though I had not done the surgery or cared for the patient in question.
So what to do? Accept that some healthy people will die, protect the vulnerable as best you can and open up the economy and schools while working on vaccines and treatment. Protect vulnerable teachers or workers, allow them to work from home or contribute some other way.

Mark Twain

Posts: 1414 | Location: Coastal Carolina | Registered: July 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Oak Ridge supercomputer analysis of COVID-19

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Oak Ridge supercomputer analysis of COVID-19

That is an excellent article and very interesting. I’d love to see some more analysis cross referencing vitamin D deficiency amongst those with more severe Covid symptoms. While I’m still strongly in the camp that our response to Covid has been absurdly excessive, I do recognize that there have been some people who have been dramatically affected by this bug. I also would prefer that we concentrate more on treatment for Covid than a vaccine.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Right from the horses mouth.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every now and then Fauci or someone else lets the truth slip out. So, how long before he comes back out to backtrack that admission?

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I almost had an encounter with "karen" this afternoon at the local grocery. I was one of several folks not wearing a mask and at first thought she was talking to me. I heard something about "mask" from behind me and when I turned she was accosting some other guy who told her "ma'am get the fuck away from me". She looked like she just got slapped in the face.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
posted Hide Post

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’m getting sick and tired of the crazy people here. And my area isn’t even that bad relatively speaking.

I’m considering renting a house if there are areas within driving distance where life is basically normal. No masks. No social distancing. Business as usual. May also scout retirement possibilities.

Any ideas what St George UT area is like now? Or any where in that area? What about someplace in Idaho?

Suburban life is fine. Just need good internet, upscale supermarket (I like cooking). And safe. Rent hopefully reasonable as I’ll be cash flow negative for this; maybe rent a house for 6 months?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107582 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Saw the stupidest damn thing, yesterday. Was over at a buddy's place for a Labor Day get-together. He lives near a sail club.

Watched a couple bringing their boat in. Damned if the idiots weren't wearing masks.

It was just the two of them out on the water all by themselves.

Wow

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post