SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
A lot of NY plates in N. Georgia too.

Alan, what was her response? Big Grin

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6896 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
"Dear Citizens of Eagar,
Over the past several weeks I have been asked repeatedly what the Town of Eagar plans to do about Covid19, masks, visitors, riots, etc.

It is somewhat alarming how many expect and almost invite a more drastic infringement on their freedoms. My response from the onset of the Covid19 pandemic has been that we will err on the side of freedom. When riots began to riddle the country and our governor took the drastic measure of a statewide curfew, again, I maintained that we will err on the side of freedom.

I have received numerous phone calls from reporters, citizens, visitors, and complete strangers to our area asking why the Town of Eagar has not cancelled upcoming rodeos and our 4th of July parade. Again, my response is that Eagar will err on the side of freedom.

What authority does the Town of Eagar, or any other state or local government, have to infringe on the rights of healthy law- abiding citizens?

It bares mentioning that I am not one that believes that the coronavirus is fake or any one of a dozen other theories disseminating across the internet. Covid19 is a real virus that unfortunately has drastic negative effects on the health of some of the individuals that contract it. Just as with the flu virus, some of those individuals will die.

I do not make light of the fact that its effects on individuals and families throughout the globe have been and will continue to be life changing and/or life ending.

There are many individuals that risk serious peril if they were to contract the virus. Those individuals should take extreme precautions. I certainly would were I in their position. In fact, I would invite those individuals to please stay home and not attend our festivities.

But don’t ask that the government require it of healthy law-abiding citizens. If an individual is fearful of contracting the virus, I would invite that individual to take every precaution they deem fit; including wearing masks, gloves, or a variety of other personal protective equipment. Those precautions do not harm me and I will not judge you adversely for doing what you feel is best for you. But don’t ask that the government require it of healthy law-abiding citizens.

As grim as Covid19 is portrayed under the most drastic scenario, I dare say that we are facing a much more serious pandemic here in America. We are currently in the midst of the nation’s first political pandemic. Never before in the history of America has ignorance and bigotry been more celebrated. Never before has our government been more eager and willing to take away freedoms from the citizenry. Never before has the citizenry been more willing to give them up.

Benjamin Franklin warned that “Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety”. I believe his warning is as applicable today as it ever was.

Some will say that these safety measures have not impacted individual liberty. To them I would quip Thomas Jefferson: “If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” The right to move about freely in public is one of the cornerstones of American democracy.

In a panicked frenzy, created by the media, state and local governments trampled that right wholesale. History will not judge us kindly for our actions over the past several months.
In closing, where would America be if our ancestors that pioneered the countryside, facing a mortality rate that would make the coronavirus look like a scratch, had simply given up, turned back, or laid down and died out of fear? Where would America be if its brave service men and women, who throughout history have on occasion faced odds of almost certain death, simply refused to fight out of fear? When did we stop being the land of the free and the home of the brave? Take charge of your own life. Nobody owes you anything. The government has never been more ill equipped to solve your problems nor is it its function to do so. This is America! Stand up and be somebody! Be brave and live free.
Mayor Bryce Hamblin Town of Eagar
"

https://www.eagaraz.gov/sites/..._response_letter.pdf

Posts: 16169 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I spoke with a friend this morning who has an 8 year old daughter. Yesterday morning, she came running into her parents' room, crying about a nightmare she had.

In the nightmare, she went back to school- not online, but the real school. She's wearing a mask but when she gets into the classroom, the teacher tells her all students must wear masks. She tells the teacher she is wearing a mask but the teacher says that's not good enough. The mask has to be sewn to her face or she'll die from coronavirus. So, the teacher lines up the kids and starts using a needle and thread to sew masks to the faces of her classmates. The kids are screaming it hurts it hurts and the teacher is telling them to shut up. As each of her classmates gets their mask sewn on, they stop crying and talking. They turn around and she sees the mask has been sewn on and the teacher has also sewn their lips together, and their eyes are now glass mirrors. The rest of the kids all crowd into a corner of the classroom pleading don't do it don't do it and she runs out of the room and down the hallway with the teacher chasing her and saying I have to sew up your mouth or you'll die.

Jesus, guys. Imagine going through this ridicuous shit show at that age. Poor kid. This isn't right. There's no two ways about it. This just isn't right.

Posts: 109045 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sadly this is not uncommon. I have seen these same fears in kids who have gone through hurricanes when their family chooses to stay in their residence through the storm. I can remember as a child having fears of being in an iron lung from polio. The current COVID is much worse. I see very little written about the mental health aspect of Covid in children.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

They've been preparing kids to get shot in their desks for a few decades now despite the fact that it is extremely unlikely. Might as well scare them about Da'Vid, too and then wonder why they don't like school.

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the category of unintended consequences - I've been on the phone and emailing with the School District since last week - when we finally tallied up the number of clothing items that have been ruined by whatever cleaning/disinfecting solution the school has decided to use.

We had 9 items as of last Friday that have the color bleached/leached out of them and look pretty silly to continue wearing.

I wanted to see if this was an anomaly, so I posted into a closed FB group and received over 150 responses - many of which were teachers and staff seeing the same thing in their clothes. Not one of them mentioned providing feedback to the schools or district. Seeing the number of people experiencing similar issues - including one Mom with 5 kids in school who was pretty distraught at the cost of items she was going to have to replace, I decided to call the school district.

I was very nice in my communications, and was assured they have taken steps to prevent this from occurring in the future - apparently it had to do with storage of the cleaning agent and additional training of the janitorial staff concerning ensuring surfaces dry out or are dried post treatment. Unfortunately another item was discolored yesterday - so maybe their corrective actions are still filtering out to the schools.

How hard is it to find a cleaning/disinfecting agent that doesn't ruin clothes?

The best was the few responses from FB Karens that some ruined clothes were a small price to pay for our kids safety...I didn't even engage - there is no use arguing with those type of idiots...

Posts: 256 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It wouldn’t matter if the CDC said that only 10 people died from the virus. People have so much fear and emotion invested in this hoax that they will never believe anything but the media’s made up numbers. There’s also people who really like living this way and they’re in no hurry for it to end. This virus has proven that our society is 100 times more stupid and gullible than we ever imagined.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3630 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyMCO:

The best was the few responses from FB Karens that some ruined clothes were a small price to pay for our kids safety...I didn't even engage - there is no use arguing with those type of idiots...

Shouldn't be that hard, but I'd bet they are using a dilute bleach solution for nightly cleaning. Kid sweats a bit and the "dry" bleach is in the clothes. I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing skin irritations if that's the case.

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
And a perfect example of the Californian, leftist mindset of the people flooding into Republican states from places like California and then immediately want to change it into what they just fled from.

Here is a post my wife just sent me off of her Facebook page of the type of people invading my state and town in oder to escape their leftist utopia. Ungrateful pieces of shit. So typical. They want everything provided by public schools but are ecstatic about the lower taxes they are now paying. So what will they do? No doubt they'll vote for higher taxes so the government will provide extracurricular activities that most here in Park City know are paid for outside of the public dole. I pay to have my daughter get ski lessons. I pay for her to take gymnastics. I pay for her to take swimming. I pay for her take dance. I don't need the fucking government to offer such things.

Damned Californian, leftist implants! GET. OUT. Mad

And school security? Here in Utah, teachers and parents alike can carry as they please within the public schools. We have all the security the 2nd amendment provides.

I feel your pain. These assholes have already invaded here for many years now too. Property taxes and traffic are insane. The amount of California plates I see on a daily basis is insane. I no longer want to stay in TX and I am a native. All the California people and we have the highest amount of H1B visas in the US. I wish I could leave now. It's infuriating. They Cali fucktards are big politically too. So get ready for them to band together to try and change your laws and elected leaders. It's a shit show all around. Watch TX for it going blue. May not be the whole state, but just watch the districts go from red to blue. You'll know exactly why. We welcome veterans, Police, EMS, Firefighters, staunch 2A folks, conservatives. Liberals, get the fuck out. Move some place else, preferably to Han's island. I wish we could tax California transplants 100k each to deter them from coming here.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12930 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Liberals, get the fuck out. Move some place else, preferably to Han's island. I wish we could tax California transplants 100k each to deter them from coming here.

I sympathize with your antipathy towards Cali Libtards. However, as one of the handful of conservatives hoping to one day escape this place, I am quite happy that you cannot taxi Cali transplants.

Liberalism is a disease, a mental defect, or both. I wish it could be eradicated as much as you do, and perhaps more. However, I am not prejudiced against people based on where they were born, where their families may have spent generations building businesses.

Posts: 7072 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Liberals, get the fuck out. Move some place else, preferably to Han's island. I wish we could tax California transplants 100k each to deter them from coming here.

I sympathize with your antipathy towards Cali Libtards. However, as one of the handful of conservatives hoping to one day escape this place, I am quite happy that you cannot taxi Cali transplants.

Liberalism is a disease, a mental defect, or both. I wish it could be eradicated as much as you do, and perhaps more. However, I am not prejudiced against people based on where they were born, where their families may have spent generations building businesses.

SLOSIG, (and more importantly all you Sig Forum members who don't live in California) Don't sell the California conservatives short. In the 2016 California presidential election 75% voter turnout, 8 3/4 million votes for Clinton, close to 4 1/2 million votes for Donald Trump. There are a hell of a lot of good people living in rural California, people you would value as good neighbors and good friends if they moved into your state (and the same goes for the rural citizens of Oregon and Washington). SLOSIG, You are stuck, like many in California, given your business, it's not easy for you to pack up your orchards and relocate to a red state.
What infuriates me about some of these Californians is that they assume that everyone else should change to accommodate them instead of them changing to accommodate their new neighbors.
When I moved here 2 years ago I looked forward to embracing the southern lifestyle. Other transplants from New York and New Jersey just complained because the pizza and delis weren't like it was "back home". New York Pizza might be the best in the world (according to them) but here, I'll take Shrimp and Grits over pizza anyday.

Mark Twain

Posts: 1414 | Location: Coastal Carolina | Registered: July 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyMCO:

Shouldn't be that hard, but I'd bet they are using a dilute bleach solution for nightly cleaning. Kid sweats a bit and the "dry" bleach is in the clothes. I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing skin irritations if that's the case.

Most normal soaps/detergents alone will kill the virus, it's not that difficult.

In fact, hand sanitizers with too much alcohol are ineffective as the water acts as a vessel for the alcohol to pierce the membrane of the virus. If there's no or too little water, the alcohol alone is rendered mostly useless.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Seems Kate Brown has been in the news a bit lately and working overtime thinking up all sorts of creative ideas. Her latest for today is an order to extend Oregon's Covid-19 state of emergency until November 3rd. That's right, election day.

https://www.kptv.com/news/gov-...zh3HUAPb6TaFZwQW13xg

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17153 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Seems Kate Brown has been in the news a bit lately and working overtime thinking up all sorts of creative ideas. Her latest for today is an order to extend Oregon's Covid-19 state of emergency until November 3rd. That's right, election day.

https://www.kptv.com/news/gov-...zh3HUAPb6TaFZwQW13xg

Our Gov Wolf has extended his emergency declaration another 90 days.
https://www.pennlive.com/news/...another-90-days.html

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Another COVID-19 effect:

“Zoom surged in early trading Tuesday, making the video conferencing company more valuable than well-established companies in the auto and aviation industries.

The shares rose 33 percent to $432.45, pushing Zoom's market value to nearly $122 billion, after it reported explosive growth during the second quarter as more people paid for subscriptions.

Zoom's revenue more than quadrupled from the same time last year to $663.5 million and profits blew past Wall Street forecasts.

At the current level, Zoom's market value exceeds that of two storied automakers, General Motors and Ford, combined, as well the value of aviation giant Boeing and consumer favorite Starbucks…”

https://mol.im/a/8685489

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
My freshman daughter has Just gotten caught in The Great College COVID Bait and Switch of 2020. 5 days of classes with an undergrad enrollment of 23k students and 528 positive cases means they’re coming home. 2.39%. I predicted they wait about 2 weeks, but nope, not even going to pretend they possess any shame. Administration claims they’ll revisit the situation on 9/25 to come back on 10/5. Only a sucker would buy that one. Oh, and they haven’t made a decision yet about any refunds. Just one of many to come.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10359 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
At the current level, Zoom's market value exceeds that of two storied automakers, General Motors and Ford, combined, as well the value of aviation giant Boeing and consumer favorite Starbucks

^^^^^^^
That price is not sustainable. Trees do not grow to the skies. Telemedicine for example is not what it is cracked up to be.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nancy Pelosi gets hair done at SF salon in spite of COVID-19 rules

https://nypost.com/2020/09/01/...e-of-covid-19-rules/

It’s ‘hair-esy.’

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi got her hair done at a San Francisco salon on Monday — in spite of local coronavirus rules barring indoor personal-care services, Fox News reported.

Security footage obtained by the outlet shows the California Democrat strolling through eSalon in the city’s Pacific Heights neighborhood at around 3:10 p.m. on Monday.

She can be seen wearing a black smock with her wet locks slicked back — but no mask on her face.

Hair salons and barber shops in San Francisco have been shuttered since March, and officials on Monday gave the OK to reopen, but for outdoor service only.

Salon owner Erica Kious called the congresswoman’s visit “a slap in the face.”

“It was a slap in the face that she went in, you know, that she feels that she can just go and get her stuff done while no one else can go in, and I can’t work,” Kious told Fox.

“We’re supposed to look up to this woman, right?” Kious added. “It is just disturbing.”

One of the independent stylists Kious works with reached out to her on Sunday night and requested to rent a chair in the salon for an appointment.

“I’ll be there at 2:45 tomorrow. Pelosi assistant just messaged me to do her hair,” the stylist wrote in a text message to Kious published by Fox.

Kious replied: “Pelosi?”

“I was like, are you kidding me right now?,” she told the outlet.

In a statement to The Post, Pelosi spokesman Drew Hammill insisted that the speaker was following the rules — as explained to her by the salon.

“This business offered for the Speaker to come in on Monday and told her they were allowed by the city to have one customer at a time in the business,” he said. “The Speaker complied with the rules as presented to her by this establishment.”

“The speaker always wears a mask and complies with local COVID requirements,” Hammill added.

It’s unclear whether the salon actually did have such an allowance from the city. Kious didn’t immediately return a call from The Post.

Posts: 13069 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
<snip>
That price is not sustainable.
<snip>
/QUOTE]

You might be right. Or not…

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
They’ve already infested FL. You see so many moving to FL with NY and NJ plates.

They need to stay there and live with the consequences of their elections.
'Or' they need to lose their voting rights when coming to Florida. They might have F'ed up their state but they shouldn't have the opportunity to do the same here.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post