SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Flatten the Curve?

Whoever has the copyright on this phrase must be a zillionaire by now. But I think it misses the point. Or at least the point for me.

The graph itself assumes constant capacity. But this is clearly wrong. Everyday we have more companies committing to produce ventilators, masks, gowns, gloves, visors, etc. To say nothing of the efforts to develop effective drugs for treatment and the longer term goal of vaccines. So ideally this graph ought to depict a rising capacity.

And if capacity is rising, then clearly we would be able to accommodate a higher peak. Heck, with better treatments, it might actually become no worse than the common flu.

So don't say Flatten the Curve.

Say instead Delay the Peak.

I claim copyright on that. Send me your checks.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Delay the peak? Think about baseball, maybe.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^
Big Grin

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
Southwest flew 56 planes on Monday that did not have a single passenger on them.

This makes zero sense to me, why wouldn't they cancel? Trying to keep pilots current?

Pretty sure it has to do with the recent stimulus package. I read about it a few days ago, as I recall it had something to do with maintaining certain business (actual flights in operation) to qualify for the money. What a joke....

Well at least the gas is cheap. Besides, we still need to fight the scourge of Global Cooling.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Delay the peak? Think about baseball, maybe.

Ah, come on. It's no worse than Flatten the Curve.

OK. How about, Postpone Death? That better?

Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
If you flatten the curve it's just a slider....

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Have some freaking faith.

I have faith in the President.

....current policy is obviously being set solely on the word of these experts.

These two statements don't really jive, sorry. You either don't think Trump is making policy after considering the advice of all of his advisors or you think he is making the wrong decision by favoring the advice of healthcare experts over the economy, in either case you are second guessing him. You can't "have faith" that he is both in charge and setting our course in the right direction and also believe he is abdicating his responsibility by allowing only his healthcare experts to have input.

To come out strongly against the way we are handling this nationally is to come out against Trump, period. He is in charge, he is responsible for every decision.

Just stop. I can absolutely have faith in the President and at the same time question the advice that he is basing his decisions on. Those two things jive just fine.

I'm just hoping that the President starts giving more deference to economic experts come April 30th. That'll be 45 days since the start of this madness or when the President first said "15 days to slow the spread."

What I want to know is what will May 1st look like. I'm pretty sure I know what the Fauci vision is. I'm also pretty sure I know what the President's vision is.

Mr. President, follow your instincts.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you flatten the curve it's just a slider....
..straightenin' the curves, flattenin' the hills, someday the mountain might get 'em, but the virus never will?

Posts: 5756 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Democrats appear united in their push to use “social distancing” around coronavirus to move the country toward November mail-in voting, expanded voting dates or possibly even “drive-thru voting.”

Republicans suspect Democrats could be exploiting a health crisis for partisan gain. Some fear a rapid move to alter the general election system could result in the type of chaos seen at the Iowa Democratic Caucus in February.

They get enough states to go along with this that may be all it takes to remove Trump. Watch how quickly this virus dissipates then. This is and never has been all about a virus and the health of a population. This is why numbers are being inflated and the fear needs to be compounded daily.

Link

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
This is the douchebag governor of Massachusetts a day after shutting down gun stores, stopping all gun safety classes required for gun license (in person and virtual are banned). He's here praising the Patriots for bringing masks from China.

Yes, that's right, he's taking a selfie with a doctor, touching her after they all came back from fricken China. Oh and the kids with gang symbols in the background is a nice touch. (okay I admit they may not be gang symbols, IDK). #socialdistancing

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
They get enough states to go along with this that may be all it takes to remove Trump. Watch how quickly this virus dissipates then. This is and never has been all about a virus and the health of a population. This is why numbers are being inflated and the fear needs to be compounded daily.

Link

I've said it before and I'll say it again now.

The Democrats are certainly trying to make political capital off of the virus, I'm not arguing that.

But if the Democrats had enough power to shut down practically the entire world over a faked pandemic just to rig a presidential election... then they would have enough power that they wouldn't need to, because they would already control everything.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Re: the calculus of the curve.

Is the area under the curve equal to the total number of deaths? Is the area the same for both curves? We're trying to flatten the curve so that healthcare is not overwhelmed. Healthcare could presumably handle the flatter curve with our ramping up measures being taken, but are the number of deaths the same--just spread out over a longer period of time?

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
This is the douchebag governor of Massachusetts a day after shutting down gun stores, stopping all gun safety classes required for gun license (in person and virtual are banned)....

Under what 'Authority' can that MASShole ban 'virtual training'....And exactly how the hell do they expect to enforce it anyway! Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:...
..straightenin' the curves, flattenin' the hills, someday the mountain might get 'em, but the virus never will?[/QUOTE]

Pure country.

RIP Hoss

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Something else sad to see - many hospital administrations are are not supporting their nurses, aides, techs, etc. Even though there is a shortage, it is turning into you do what we tell you, when we tell you, how we tell you and do not complain even privately or you are fired.

Based on what I have heard directly from my live-in nurse, that is exactly the case, to the letter.

There has been a specific directive to personnel NOT to talk to anyone about the situation in the hospital.

Say nothing about equipment shortages or gross violations of previously standing policies, shifts in policies sometimes more than one time in a single shift, etc.

Based on my network, I would say I hear reliable info from 3 hospitals in this area, and it's all largely in agreement.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
St Mary’s or bucks hospital? Smile

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
If this is the case, good news: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/ne...coronavirus-21805392

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Have some freaking faith.

I have faith in the President.

....current policy is obviously being set solely on the word of these experts.

These two statements don't really jive, sorry. You either don't think Trump is making policy after considering the advice of all of his advisors or you think he is making the wrong decision by favoring the advice of healthcare experts over the economy, in either case you are second guessing him. You can't "have faith" that he is both in charge and setting our course in the right direction and also believe he is abdicating his responsibility by allowing only his healthcare experts to have input.

To come out strongly against the way we are handling this nationally is to come out against Trump, period. He is in charge, he is responsible for every decision.

Just stop. I can absolutely have faith in the President and at the same time question the advice that he is basing his decisions on. Those two things jive just fine.

I'm just hoping that the President starts giving more deference to economic experts come April 30th. That'll be 45 days since the start of this madness or when the President first said "15 days to slow the spread."

What I want to know is what will May 1st look like. I'm pretty sure I know what the Fauci vision is. I'm also pretty sure I know what the President's vision is.

Mr. President, follow your instincts.

You have faith in him but think he is following the wrong advice and making bad decisions, gotcha. Makes perfect sense Big Grin

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

One of those two, plus Presby and another a bit further out that I won't mention by name, just in case the MLH folks are trawling the gun boards these days. Wink

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

One of those two, plus Presby and another a bit further out that I won't mention by name, just in case the MLH folks are trawling the gun boards these days. Wink

I have friends at both of those hospitals and I’m hearing the same.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post