SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 ... 482
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dfens:
Present to myself.

Been looking for one of these for awhile now.

Beautiful Explorer! Congrats.

**unpopular opinion**

I wish Rolex had offered that dial with a rotating bezel and decent water resistance like Tudor did with the Black Bay Bronze variants.

It’s reasons like that why I think Tudor is actually superior to Rolex. The parent company is too damn conservative and boring.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21213 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post

They’re a little pricey though.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Good looking Explorer. That and the no date Submariner are the Rolexes I like. Well, that and the GMT Master that I'll never be able to afford.

Speaking of Tudor:
After two weeks of wear, my Black Bay GMT is about 10 seconds slow. Less than one second a day variance? Whoever regulated this thing is an absolute master.

Posts: 2643 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Weekends and holidays are for the Alpinist.

Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13824 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

They’re a little pricey though.

QUITE pricy unfortunately. I don’t think a reissue of that dial in a Sub would kill those vintage watch values, if anything it would bring more awareness to them and help their value reach climb to even more ridiculous levels.

3,6,9 dial Rolex Submariner goes up for sale”.

From the link:
“ A British auction taking place next week is headlined with a rare Rolex Submariner ‘369’ Explorer dial gentleman’s wristwatch dating from 1962 that is expected to sell for $200,000 to $280,000.

Both Tudor and Steinhart have very nice alternatives. Perhaps one day Rolex will quit making everything bigger/fatter and offer some interesting vintage reissues/reinterpretations. If they did I would become a Rolex owner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21213 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
If they did I would become a Rolex owner.

No you wouldn’t. If Rolex made that watch, mortals like us would never see one at retail. You could have a watch like that right now. With you skills, all you would have to do is buy a Sub and an Explorer and swap the dials assuming there are models whose dials are the same size. That would be cheaper than trying to buy the real thing if Rolex were to make a new version.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
New watch day! I don’t need one, but that doesn’t mean I can’t give them to someone else.

Son #1 didn’t want to make himself a target walking around at college this fall:

Son #2 really like grandpa’s EDW, but this is smaller, quartz, with a strap and blue dial imstead of green:

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Nicely done, trapper!

God bless America.

Posts: 13824 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I like your Alpinist. Son #1 waffled between an Alpinist and a Hamilton Khaki, but for whatever reason settled on the G-Shock. It’ll probably be better for his Geology Field Camps.

Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Beautiful watch. I actually prefer the Batman over the Pepsi. Is this model easier to order than the Pepsi? Just wondering.

quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Couldn't wait any longer for a Pepsi from the AD or bring myself to pay what they go for gray. So I grabbed a Batman and think I may like it better.

Posts: 1917 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Batman is easier to get than Pepsi from an AD and about 20-30% cheaper on the grey market.

Posts: 3666 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I like your Alpinist. Son #1 waffled between an Alpinist and a Hamilton Khaki, but for whatever reason settled on the G-Shock. It’ll probably be better for his Geology Field Camps.

Can't knock the G-Shock. Smile

God bless America.

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dfens:
Present to myself.

Been looking for one of these for awhile now.

Congrats!!! Well earned! Which size is it? Did you find it new at an AD???

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10255 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got it used from a buddy of mine after constantly bugging him if he ever wanted to let it go let me have first crack at it. He originally bought it in 2018.

It's the previous model the 314270 or 39 mm. I'm was looking at the new 40 mm since last April when it was announced. Because for the last nearly 2 years the Explorer was only available in 36 mm and even with my super small 6 1/4 inch wrist it was too small for my taste.

Only thing I'm missing out on is this one is 48 hours of power reserve vs the new model which has the updated 70 hour reserve movement.

Posts: 972 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Make counter-accusations.
Picture of rkentm
posted Hide Post
Got this the other day from the one & only Dave Troung!

"Ladies and Gentlemen - The Fit has hit the Shan!"

Posts: 608 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rkentm:
Got this the other day from the one & only Dave Troung!

Congrats on joining the Panerista!!! It's a beautiful choice!!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10255 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
Had my fathers Eterna Matic serviced by the Great Dave Truong. Not a huge watch guy but glad I get to wear the watch my dad had on. Dates back to the 60's/70's.

Thanks Dave!

Posts: 962 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Love it Squad!

Posts: 11431 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
That's a beaut squad.

My new Samurai mod, I don't know if I have the time or patience to do these. Sounds like a fun hobby though

Posts: 5509 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
After patiently waiting a while, my number finally came up for a Komodo. I really like the watch a lot but it looks small on my wrist. I'm mulling over what to do since I'm not sure about it.

IMG_2173 by D Shoe, on Flickr

I'm a big fan of white watch faces.

IMG_2177 by D Shoe, on Flickr

Posts: 1230 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post