SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 ... 483
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
That IWC is real nice Rick. Outside my meager budget I'm sure.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15970 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Happy Monday my fellow watch nerds.

I’ve been wearing a lot of titanium watches these days. This week the Doxa is getting some love.

I got a hell of a watch holder. Behold my Dwayne “the thing” Johnson watch holder. Eek Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21220 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
That is kind of disturbing. Big Grin

Posts: 7650 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
That is kind of disturbing. Big Grin

I don’t know… I kind of like the look of the Doxa case, and titanium no less! OK, price might disturb me a bit, but…

Oh.

Yeah. The thing in the background. Yeah. Bit weird.

Let’s get back to the watch. Very cool!

Bill R

Posts: 1138 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m not normally a fan of smaller 36-39mm watches, but this little sucker is kind of shifting me over to the side of slightly smaller watches…

If I’m not at work, it’s on my wrist at least 40% of the time. Bad thing is it just means I now have to “seriously consider” even smaller watches when I’m looking!

Bill R

Posts: 1138 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
38 & 39mm watches are VERY comfy in my experience.

On a totally unrelated subject I just saw a watch dial from Squale that made me smile. Gotta love a company with a sense of humor. Smile

Too bad they are only making 100 of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21220 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Last month I went to a watch enthusiasts' event sponsored by a local Panerai dealer. One of the sales associates attending this event had previously facilitated my purchase of a previously owned Tudor Pelagos FXD MN 21 and had sweetened the deal by accepting my offered trade in.

Among the various examples of Paneria watches that I checked at the event, one (the PAM 01313 Luminor Marina 44mm with a blue sunburst dial) really called to me. The price for a new one was beyond what I'd spend, BUT two days ago I learned the store had just received a used 2020 example and were offering it at a price that was extremely good. As I had done before, I brought one of my other watches for a trade in. When I left the business, I had what appears to be an almost "as new" PAM 01313, and had spent less than half of what a new one would have cost. Color me happy, as well as lucky that I'd exercised patience and found a used example, instead of impulsively buying new. Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pulicords,

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10259 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the PAM, and the great deal.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15970 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
It's here. I don't think this is the one I ordered but I do like it, not sending it back. I checked my order and it shows this one though Confused Feels and looks like the same quality as my Islander. May order the same in black next

Posts: 5530 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That looks sharp! I like the hands, different, but in a good way.

How is the bracelet? I have been steering clear of bracelets on the less expensive watches in favor of nato straps, but that one looks kind of nice…

Bill R

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
As far as watches go if I had found this prior to my Seiko SNK induced automatic mechanical watch obsession I might have found a fulfilling alternative to my gaudy bright red G-Shock rescue, which was/is the perfect watch in every category except for style/aesthetics. I could have saved a lot of money. It’s vastly superior to many in my collection in every category except for looks….which is subjective.

This watch has it all. Accuracy, a usable and working rotating bezel thanks to the unique analog minute track that runs around the perimeter of the LCD as well as chronograph functionality and solar intensity which is a very interesting complication that the fancy mechanical watches have yet to offer.

When I’m at work building bikes and scraping the watch on the frame of e-bikes I am fixing this watch gets the job done. If only it had a moon and tide phase, it would be perfect.

Behold the Seiko solar digi Tuna. Seiko’s Sig Pro or most underrated offering ever.

For illumination at night simply pimp slap the watch and it lights right up. Big Grin seriously it illuminates upon impact to the crystal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

Interesting. That's an obvious reference to an aircraft "RMI" (Radio Magnetic Indicator), which combines a gyro compass and ADF (Automatic Direction Finder).

Posts: 657 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stylophiles:
That looks sharp! I like the hands, different, but in a good way.

How is the bracelet? I have been steering clear of bracelets on the less expensive watches in favor of nato straps, but that one looks kind of nice…

Bill R

The bracelet is very nice, like I said, this thing is as nice or nicer than my Islander

BrianO cool info on the hands, thanks. The first couple of times I actually looked at it to tell time, it took me a couple of seconds to actually see the time as the hands go all the way across the face. I was like, WTF time is it?

I like that big Seiko Stick. How big is it?

Posts: 5530 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:...it took me a couple of seconds to actually see the time as the hands go all the way across the face.

On an RMI, the end with the arrowhead points TO the transmitter you're tuned to, and the other end points to the reciprocal or FROM course. When you fly over the transmitter, the needle swaps ends, thus establishing your position. In the days when GPS is inexpensive and widely available, an RMI is an anachronism, but many aircraft still have them.

Posts: 657 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post

It's not a GMT Master, but it should scratch my Magnum PI itch...

Sadly it came on a leather strap that was nowhere near to fitting my wrist. I haven't decided what strap it will live on, but that Bond isn't terrible and will do for now.

Posts: 2652 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:...that Bond isn't terrible and will do for now.

And it's a REAL Bond pattern, not that new one that is the result of a dumb costume designer looking at a black-and-white photo of Sean Connery and misunderstanding what he or she was seeing.

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Yup. Still some debate as to the background color as either black or navy, but the stripes were definitely green and red. This one uses the colors of the Royal Scots Regiment (so its a blue background), which would make sense given it was possibly Connery's actual watch in the film.

I've got several variations of the black and grey "Bond" strap and I like them, but I feel like this one is probably the correct one.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
copaup, That is a gorgeous watch! It looks really good on that NATO strap. Thats a model that has tempted me for a loooooong time.

Since the Rolex Pepsi GMT Master II is impossible to get from a dealer and has a ridiculous mark up on the preowned market that Tudor is one of the few watches I could actually see myself adding to the collection. Though to be honest the Pelagos has really made me wonder if I even need any other watches. Eek

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:

It's not a GMT Master, but it should scratch my Magnum PI itch...

Sadly it came on a leather strap that was nowhere near to fitting my wrist. I haven't decided what strap it will live on, but that Bond isn't terrible and will do for now.

Great looking watch, congratulations.

Back in late 2019 My wife and I were on a Disney Cruise to the Eastern Caribbean. I was in the market for a Breitling Avenger GMT with the white dial and knew there were several Breitling AD on the islands we were visiting.

After we set sail and got settled in our cabin we went down the the jewelry/watch shop on the ship. To my surprise at that time Disney Cruise Line had become a AD for several major brands like Breitling,Tag Heuer,Omega,Hublot and Tudor.

At a time when no AD in the US had either the Tudor Black bay 58 or the Black Bay GMT they several in their display case. I asked the salesman how long they had them, he said they arrived last week and was surprised they lasted till this cruise.

A couple of days later we were in Tortola. The AD on the Island didn't have what I was looking for.

Next day we were in St Thomas. The Ad there also did not have what I was looking for but I spent time talking to him told him if he ever got what I was looking for to email me because we might be back in a few months.

Next night back on the ship I went to look at watches in the store expecting them (the Tudors) to be gone and to my surprise they were still there so I bought the Black Bay GMT. Best move, it is one of my favorite watches.

I bought mine on the stainless band. I bought a Crafter Blue rubber strap for it from Amazon. The nice thing about the strap it has a curved end so it fits tight around the case between the lugs.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
The more I wear it, the more I like it. This is going to sound strange because it isn’t a cheap watch by any means, but it feels like a much more expensive watch. It’s not going to replace my Speedmaster as my favorite, but I bet it ends up getting more wrist time.

I’ll end up ordering a bracelet for it at some point. I’m just working on a way to justify the cost to myself…