SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 ... 478
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Beautiful watch!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39017 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Eek
Glad I'm not much of a Rolex guy.
Grail watch for me is an Omega Moonwatch

Well allow me to prod you a little...

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39822 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Both fantastic, sir.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15749 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I had a chance to scoop up a used but minty Doxa Sub 600T Professional (orange dial) for $500 less than they cost new. I hesitated and by the time I made up my mind to get it the dang thing had sold.

I’ve heard the 600T isn’t quite as comfy as the 300T/1200T so I’m not too bummed out.

Had it been the yellow dial variant I would have moved more quickly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21195 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
And she's here.

I don’t particularly care for Rolexes, but this is the single model that I would love to have. Not sure if I will ever drop that much money for a watch, but it’s damn good-looking. The orange just pops on that white dial. Absolutely love it.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11461 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
If you're at all tempted, this is the one you can get gray for pretty close to AD retail. Gray usually doesn't involve sales tax and these don't go gray for much over new. They say the newer reference is better, but I'd never be able to tell the difference between the 226570 and the last year of the older reference.

Posts: 3619 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
And she's here.

Congrats! The current version of the Explorer II with the "Polar Dial" dial was my grail watch, and I was lucky enough to find one at an AD in Aruba last year. I'm very pleased with it as an almost daily driver, though I found the bracelet not as comfortably as leather straps. If you decide to go with a strap(s), get the quick release pins and you can quickly and easily swap them out for very cool changes of vibes.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10242 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
To modify or not to modify….that is a tough question. Big Grin

SRPJ41 Kosuke Kawamura Limited Edition. #656/3000

Design elements from 60’s & 70’s Seiko watches. It also includes a poster explaining the watches/vintages it draws design elements from.

I wish I pulled the trigger on the green/smoke dial version. The last one they had sold and those models are $$$$$$$$ now. Eek

I got it for well under $400 as it was an older model and they have a TON of Seiko watches in stock so they can wheel and deal on price.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21195 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming the face rotates for the day/date window?

Posts: 15749 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It’s in a way not as cool as the 1970’s variant because while Seiko does offer a fully translucent green dial it does not have a chronograph function like the 1970’s quartz original.

The dial on these Seiko 5 watches is translucent with green and orange tint. You can still easily read the day/date wheels underneath and clearly see the English and Kanji days. It’s a neat homage but Seiko should have offered it on a more capable watch. It doesn’t do the original justice IMO.

It’s got the coolest and most usable minute tracks I’ve ever seen on a Seiko 5. If I don’t mod this one I’ll likely get the full green dial version and mod it.

Something else I forgot to mention in my OP, the case has a well worn/bead blasted and beaten look to it that makes it look similar to a watch that’s been worn for a decade or two.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm assuming the face rotates for the day/date window?

I'd describe it as a transparent face through which you can see the rotating day and date rings.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The dial makes the characters/days fuzzy but still quite legible. They are a fun watch to hold on your hand and examine as pics do not do this one justice.

The inner minute/second track and markings on minute/second tracks is also unique. It gives this dial a far smaller appearance than its actual dimensions suggest. This adds to the “vintage Seiko” look/vibe in my opinion but thankfully with generally more modern consistency/reliability.

I was also told good news today. My beloved Seiko case is about to grow to encompass the entire left of my local watch shop when you enter and look to your left. Tissot is getting moved/relocated over near Hamilton I hope… and finally!! most of the Seiko inventory can be showcased. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Stick, I got a quick look at the "expansion area" of our local shop on my last visit. Lots of room over there ... which does make lots of room for their "yuge" Seiko inventory. I'm looking forward to my next visit.

God bless America.

Posts: 13673 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Man, I'm glad I don't have an AD like that around here [that I'm aware of].
A fool & his money, or something like that.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I've been called worse.

Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13673 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
I've been called worse.

Razz

Enabler, is what I'll stick with, for you Cool

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Enabler, is what I'll stick with, for you Cool

Big Grin

God bless America.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Well….to play devils advocate, let’s say you happen to live near a Seiko Authorized Dealer (AD/Boutique)

If you had put down the $480 retail this watch would have cost you (or maybe you negotiated a slightly better price). Well guess what?! You can now sell it for quite a bit more than you spent as they only made 500 of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I had a chance to scoop up a used but minty Doxa Sub 600T Professional (orange dial) for $500 less than they cost new. I hesitated and by the time I made up my mind to get it the dang thing had sold.

I’ve heard the 600T isn’t quite as comfy as the 300T/1200T so I’m not too bummed out.

Had it been the yellow dial variant I would have moved more quickly.

Stickman. I am not trying to hijack but, I was wondering if you got my email the other day? Thanks!

Posts: 4092 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had this very bright yellow dial sitting around from the very first order of mod parts I made. Finally figured out I should just go ahead and do “something” with it, even if I still wasn’t convinced it was exactly right…

So, here it is: the 2024 “SomeThing”!

I can totally see these parts getting recycled at some point soon, but for now it’s definitely fun, definitely eye catching, etc, etc. And my first try at doing one with a bracelet.

Bill R

Posts: 1133 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post