SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 ... 475
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
I think I have found my next grail watch. The Tudor Black Bay GMT with while dial and Pepsi Bezel.

My Tudor ownership experience has VASTLY exceeded my expectations.

That is one model I considered as my first Tudor along with the Sterling Silver and Bronze variants before settling on the Pelagos. (I LOVE GMT watches and am quite fond of snowflake hands)

I believe it was Marzy who said Tudor’s new movements are superb and will absolutely surprise you with their performance. This is 100% true. Tudor rocks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21134 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think I have found my next grail watch. The Tudor Black Bay GMT with while dial and Pepsi Bezel.

The Black Bay GMT "Pepsi" is a beautiful watch at a great price. The build quality an design are outstanding. This, the Pelagos (FXD MN21 that I currently own), and their Black Bay Pro are three of my all time favorites. Go for your "grail"!!! (Maybe check out Chrono24? They are an excellent source.)

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10216 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I'm going to be able to do some Duty-free shopping in a few weeks. If I can't find one, then the search will begin in earnest.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm going to be able to do some Duty-free shopping in a few weeks. If I can't find one, then the search will begin in earnest.

During your search, I'd suggest looking for one with the nylon strap. Not only will you save money over the bracelet, but there's some custom leather strap makers out there that can provide you with a lot of beautiful options that IMHO are more comfortable than steel.

https://www.thestrapsmith.com/shark/2260

https://thestraptailor.com/

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10216 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
For some reason it deleted the original posters name, sorry.
Posted by pulicords
During your search, I'd suggest looking for one with the nylon strap. Not only will you save money over the bracelet, but there's some custom leather strap makers out there that can provide you with a lot of beautiful options that IMHO are more comfortable than steel.

https://www.thestrapsmith.com/shark/2260

https://thestraptailor.com/[/QUOTE]

This is posted by me.
That's good advice, however if you think you might like the watch on a bracelet someday it is usually less expensive to buy it with the bracelet than to try to source the bracelet later.

I learned this several years ago. I bought a Breitling Avenger II Seawolf on a rubber strap. A few months later I wanted the bracelet. I had bought the watch from an AD in the Islands while on a cruise. When I went to my local Boutique I was shocked at how much the bracelet alone was.

My wife were going on another cruise a few month later so I contacted the AD I bought the watch from. I asked about a bracelet and the cost. He told me because I bought the watch from him he would sell it at around cost. This saved me a couple hundred dollars.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 71 TRUCK,

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2580 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Anyone here done business with Aliexpress?

New Mod Men's Automatic Watch With Seiko NH35 NH36 Movement Automatic Mechanical 200m Waterproof 316L Stainless Steel Sapphire Glass Diver

Product Parameters

1. Watch case Material: 316L stainless steel

2. Watch Case Size: Diameter 45mm, Thickness 14.7mm

3. Watch Case Glass: Sapphire crystal glass (Blue Plating Film on Sapphire Double Arc Mirror Surface)

4. Watch Bezel Insert: Steel Bezel Insert

5. Watch Chapter Ring: Copper Chapter Ring

6. Watch Crown location: Crown at 3.8

7. Watch Case Back cover: Stainless Steel Seal Bottom Cover

8. Watch Case Waterproof: 200m waterproof

9. Fit for Replace Watch: Design PROSPEX SNR05 Divers Watch

10. Fit for Wacth Movement: NH35 NH36 Japan Automatic Movement

11. Fit Watch Strap: 22mm watch strap

12. Fit Wacth Dial: 28.5mm Dial

Posts: 5361 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Anyone here done business with Aliexpress?

I get most of my parts and movements from various sellers there. Ali is like a marketplace setup, that all sorts of sellers use to get their products out there. Basically, with watches, it’s probably four or five different factories back in the ol CCP, selling their stuff under multiple names. I know I’ve gotten the exact same case from more than one “manufacturer”…

And yeah, it’s all chinesium, but that said, I’ve had no problems with anything I’ve bought so far, and it’s a fraction of the price compared to the exact same items being sold from a US retailer. The purchase setup does seem a tiny bit on the sketchy side, but again, no issues, standard online ordering precautions apply. You do need patience with delivery times, it can be a couple weeks per order. Once I had a few trouble free orders under my belt, I just order stuff, and it gets here when it gets here.

The watch looks like a fairly “standard seiko style mod watch”. The movement might be a Chinese made copy of the NH35, but I bet it works just fine. If the price is right for that, it might make a good watch. If they want a couple hundred, look for a Long Island or Deep Blue maybe.

Speaking of Ali orders…got one the other day!

Might be some fun stuff coming once I find some dials that work with these.

Bill R

Posts: 1128 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got some more cases in. I think I might have just gone “too far” with this one…

“Worn steel” done in the style of a 1940s USN divers watch. So very, very funky. The dial for this one will need to be just right!

Bill R

Posts: 1128 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Eek That's a chunky boy

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15417 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Eek That's a chunky boy

Well… Chunky, yeah, but really kind of small n terms of diameter. Like 36 or 39mm.

I’m thinking of doing a no day/date and then swapping the movement to build it as a left hand crown.

Bill R

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Makes that crown look enormous. Curious to see the end result.

Posts: 15417 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Makes that crown look enormous. Curious to see the end result.

I have a thought about an ebay buy… white porcelain dial, hand painted Roman numerals, and then do like bregueut style blue hands. So a total opposite to the over industrial style case…

Or maybe not. I sometimes get a little over artistic!

Bill R

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
look for a Long Island or Deep Blue maybe.

I'm not convinced that those don't come from the same place as the Steeldive, Addiesdive, Tactical Frog ETC.

I went on and ordered one, it's similar to the one pictured but has the hands shown in the "glow" pic and day/date at 3 O'clock. Right at $95 with shipping

I'll post a pic and my thoughts about it when I get it

BTW, that's a neat hobby that I might look into, building the mods that is

Posts: 5361 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've thought about the DIY route too, stick & Bill put out some good looking pieces.
Need to really look into the tools needed to get started

posted Hide Post
quote:
I've thought about the DIY route too, stick & Bill put out some good looking pieces.
Need to really look into the tools needed to get started

So, evidently there are only two ways to go about watch tools… Swiss ($$$$$$$$$) or Chinese. Since I was just experimenting to see if I was going to enjoy this, I did not go the Swiss route!

Here’s what I got to start with. No warranty, guarantee, expressed, implied, stated or inferred attaches to the following suggestions, but so far they have been working for me at my current skill level…

Screwdrivers:
Screwdrivers on Amazon

Hand Setting Tools:
Hand Setting Tools on Amazon

Tweezers:
Tweezer Set on Amazon

Kit (Has the above, but not as good, and has some other good stuff like hand remover tool, axe back r
Tool, etc)
Watch Repair Kit on Amazon

Movement Holder:
Movement Holder on Amazon

Rodeco (You WILL need this!)
Rodeco Putty on Amazon

Watch Dial Adhesives:
Watch Dial Adhesive on Amazon

Pin Vise:
Pin Vise on Amazon

Another option might be one of the ready to build kits from Namoki, they have a tool set, and all the parts to build up a specific watch on an NH35 movement:
Namoki Dress Watch Kit

You will need to do something in the way of a magnifier or loupe, I have tried both, and make sure you have a well lit work spot!

Biggest thing to put on the shopping list is a large economy Costco size tub of patience! There will be lots of squinting, restarting, and assorted bits dropping! Makes the AR detent spring seem positively cooperative in comparison!

Bill R

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the links, will look into that.

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
quote:

My Tudor ownership experience has VASTLY exceeded my expectations.

That is one model I considered as my first Tudor along with the Sterling Silver and Bronze variants before settling on the Pelagos. (I LOVE GMT watches and am quite fond of snowflake hands)

I believe it was Marzy who said Tudor’s new movements are superb and will absolutely surprise you with their performance. This is 100% true. Tudor rocks.

The Tudor panda dial chrono has my interest.

Posts: 17906 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Here's my latest addition!
A Raven!
A birthday present from Marzy!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39773 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Lee gave me this one when we got married.

I’m selling this one, if anyone is shopping.

Posts: 3572 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Original ORIENT MINI BEAST by Scopophobia nothing fancy just pictures., on Flickr Kenny Sharf Movado. by Scopophobia nothing fancy just pictures., on Flickr

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2266 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post